Dive company recommendation for Cozumel in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those who share that general attitude, there are the AI's with their in-house dive ops and there are dive ops with schedules designed to cater to the cruise ship crowd where that type of diver can dive with other like-minded. Thankfully, for those of us who don't share that attitude, there are the smaller independent shops that have been mentioned on this thread and focus on catering to and attracting a different type of diver. It's certainly no secret I dive with little 3P's and I say Kudos to the AI and cruise ship folks who know the difference and seek out the quality dive ops that cater to courteous, "quality divers" (if I may be so bold). And, rest assured, a "quality diver" in my book has absolutely nothing to do with one's level of experience.
I think that you and DFDubb are referencing two different things. S/he is speaking about food experiences or A/I. You speak about diving experiences. Two totally different matters.But I apologize in advance if I have misunderstood.

I paint with broad strokes because having been diving with numerous AI and cruise ship divers over the years I find the vast majority of them to be less than a pleasure to dive with to put it nicely (your mileage may vary of course).
My mileage certainly varies. Many "cruise ship divers" may be infrequent divers and/or inexperienced. That's not a reflection of them traveling on a cruise ship. I'd guess that the vast majority of these people book their dives as cruise excursions and are put on a typical cattleboat operation with their fellows. I've found that "cruise ship divers" who take the time to research and book independently of the cruise usually do fine underwater. So I'm guessing your experience diving with "cruise ship divers" is limited to your cattleboat diving experiences.

Your AI generalization, however, is simply ridiculous. Plenty of divers stay at AIs for the convenience. After diving all day, it's nice sometimes to not have to leave the beautiful tropical-island facilities and deal with the crowds and noise of the city, nice to not have to decide where to eat or drink, nice to enjoy the entertainment, nice to enjoy the pools and beach that are lacking at some of the city hotels. And, depending on how well one takes advantage of the included fare, one can save money as well. It's easier to budget for a set priced hotel than to anticipate how much one might otherwise spend on food and beverages.

Another reason AIs are popular is when there's a non-diving spouse or significant other accompanying a diver. The non-diver can enjoy full use of the facilities, beach, etc., while the diver is out playing underwater. For instance, my last AI experience in Cozumel was at Secrets. Turns out another diver staying there happened to be booked on my boat. He had as much or more experience than me, was just about as well-traveled, and was an excellent diver. Maybe even as excellent as yours truly.

BTW, the characterization in your other post of rich people being afraid to walk the city streets because they equate poverty with crime is likewise silly. First of all, impoverished areas in places other than idyllic Cozumel often are more dangerous. Second, it may be that the rich people can afford a taxi, or can afford to stay at one of the AIs that you disdain, surrounded by luxury and palm trees, and therefore have no reason to walk the dirty streets of the inner city. Honestly, it comes across as envy. Spend what you like or can afford, it's your vacation, but why fault those who can afford a different sort of vacation and prefer it that way?

Ahhhh dive op wars. Gotta love em.

18u6bz.jpg

As a sub note to Mossman's post many users of AI's live & travel from countries OTHER than the US & deal with currency exchanges that aren't favorable when compared to the US dollar. Here in Canada getting a "vacation package" (AI, transportation to / from the airport & flight is often a much better buy than booking each on your own. Diving then can be either in house or an off site op & again price CAN be important. Right now we Canadians are paying roughly $1.35 for each US dollar. How many Americans want to pay an extra 35% for everything, including their tips?

Second, it may be that the rich people can afford a taxi, or can afford to stay at one of the AIs that you disdain, surrounded by luxury and palm trees, and therefore have no reason to walk the dirty streets of the inner city. Honestly, it comes across as envy.

Envy? Quite frankly I feel sorry for them! They spend all that money to travel to exotic locations where they could truly experience other cultures only to turn like sausages on a beach with 500 of their closest American friends experiencing nothing more than they could at any beach resort in states. Furthermore, I use the term "American" friends in reference to us citizens of the USA which the populations of other countries in North and South America find to be a term of arrogance... All are technically AMERICANS. Arrogant U.S. citizens (not Americans) seem to think we are the only ones who count on these two continents so we'll refer to ourselves as the "AMERICANS". LOL! You see... these are concepts no AI tourist who never leaves the luxury, plam trees and WIFI coverage throughout the grounds to post endless pics of their latest extravagant travels will ever understand as few of them leave teh compound. Since you do venture outside the gate, Kudos to you but, rest assured, you reside in the vast minority.

You are assuming that AI tourists only travel to an AI resort.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. You don't need to feel sorry for me that I put up with okay food at an AI because I'm not culinarily adventurous nor enjoy the ingredients that are often used in Mexican fare. I do not take a diving vacation to immerse myself in a given culture. That's reserved for my mission trips where we live and work together.

My grandmother enjoyed McDonald's because she knew that no matter where she went, her quarter pounder was always the same...(that is, when she remembered to bring her tomatoes.) I like the ease of mind of an AI in Cozumel mostly for the same reason. Especially since I'm there to dive and relax.

However, I try not to be arrogant in my interactions with others, on vacation or otherwise. Well, maybe on message boards ;-)

Envy? Quite frankly I feel sorry for them! They spend all that money to travel to exotic locations where they could truly experience other cultures only to turn like sausages on a beach with 500 of their closest American friends experiencing nothing more than they could at any beach resort in states.

Not everybody travels on a Sociological adventure; some just go to have fun and dive. And there are shades of gray; some people like to visit other cultures, but have a cush, familiar home base (e.g.: A.I. resort or cruise ship). Following up one point from an earlier post, people traveling to foreign nations might often be well-advised to avoid spending time in poor, urban areas. It might sound a big paranoid in Cozumel, but if we were having this discussion about Belize City or maybe Jamaica things might be different.

"Not that those big money big shots would ever experience the difference as they wouldn't feel "safe" walking the back streets where the locals eat. They equate poverty with crime and gangs and rape and robbery instead of understanding poverty is a financial condition that has nothing to do with character."

Actually, poverty, and the illegal drug trafficking & use that often intermingle with it, can drive crime. There are plenty of wealthy criminals, but they're less likely to knife or shoot you in a mugging, or burglarize your home.

Any of us with the money to splurge on even budget scuba trips abroad is a 'big money big shot' in the eyes of many poor people in the world. Some families could eat quite awhile on what a BCD costs.

Richard.

Envy? Quite frankly I feel sorry for them! They spend all that money to travel to exotic locations where they could truly experience other cultures only to turn like sausages on a beach with 500 of their closest American friends experiencing nothing more than they could at any beach resort in states. Furthermore, I use the term "American" friends in reference to us citizens of the USA which the populations of other countries in North and South America find to be a term of arrogance... All are technically AMERICANS. Arrogant U.S. citizens (not Americans) seem to think we are the only ones who count on these two continents so we'll refer to ourselves as the "AMERICANS". LOL! You see... these are concepts no AI tourist who never leaves the luxury, plam trees and WIFI coverage throughout the grounds to post endless pics of their latest extravagant travels will ever understand as few of them leave teh compound. Since you do venture outside the gate, Kudos to you but, rest assured, you reside in the vast minority.
You really think the Mexican culture, as portrayed in Cozumel, is so exotic?

I've never stayed at an AI beach resort in the states, but I've perceived a definite influence of Mexican culture at the AIs I've stayed at in Cozumel. Mexican dancing, Mexican food, Mexican handicrafts, classes in all the above (of which I've admittedly never partaken), margaritas to be sure, and plenty of honest-to-goodness Mexicans working the joints. The last really good talks I had in Spanish with a real Mexican in Cozumel were with the guy running the VIP bar at Secrets - we talked about his family, his origins in Cozumel and how he had left for the mainland for work before returning to the island when he got the job at Secrets which paid him enough to get his own place and see more of his son.

Honestly, what is so wrong about visiting a Caribbean island and wanting to surround oneself with palm trees, beach sand, tropical birds and flowers, rather than a city with bustling taxis, cruise ship passengers, graffiti and grime? If I want that sort of Mexican city environment, there are plenty of places in the L.A. area which would provide nearly the same "authenticity".

"This above all: to thine own self be true". - (Act I, Scene III, Hamlet).
mexican.gif

I thought it was funny that we were going over a hundred replies on this question that usually only leads to unfounded cheerleading, but we have really outdone ourselves with silliness here.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so". - (Act II, Scene II, Hamlet).
banana227.gif

Stay where you want to stay, get back on the barge that brought you, dive with whom you want, eat where you want - it's your choice for yourself. Criticizing others' choices is dumb.
banana110.gif

Not everybody travels on a Sociological adventure; some just go to have fun and dive.
Yes. This is one of the rare times I agree with one of your posts. Cozumel is known as a diving mecca, why not just go there to dive and ignore the rest of it? All over the diving world, there are dedicated dive resorts where people fly in and fly out. There are liveaboards which you access by taxi from the airport only to get a taxi right back to the airport to fly out again. How many people who dive Raja Ampat really want to spend time immersing themselves in the culture of Sorong, for example?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom