Cathedral Rocks, Gloucester

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldatlanticsea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, all:

I've been OW certified for about 3 years and have somewhere in the neighbourhood of 40 dives under my belt. I've wanted to dive Cathedral Rocks since certification but I haven't been able to line it up yet. I'm looking for a buddy to dive this site in the next couple weekends. Let me know here if you're interested. Let's dive!

Only one piece of advice - watch the weather and call the dive if the swells are more than a foot or so... if there are waves - call the dive...

Many years ago (70's or 80's) I learned this lesson the hard way - my sister and I dove when we should have called it. We were pushed into the rocks on exit - several times as the swells push you into granite outcroppings and pull you back out for another cycle of hammer and anvil. It was a fight and a bruising to get out - do not underestimate the exit of this dive. :)

That said it is a deep dive and full of life. Providing you can find a place to park.

I would be interested but would need to schedule it - summer time is tough to get back up there.

The last time I dove the Rocks was about 4 years ago. It is a beautiful dive but difficult. Just getting to the water is a lot of work. It's mountain goat diving for sure. If you are not in good physical condition don't try it. I'd love to go but the last time my knees were swollen and hurt for 2 days. Being an old man with severe arthritis I decided that was the last time I'd dive the rocks from shore. I'm tempted but the price is too high for me. Heed Basking Ridge diver's warning don't push the conditions you could be seriously hurt.
As for parking I used to park along the stone wall at the hotel property line, as of four years ago one still could.
Good luck happy diving!

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'd heard the entry/exit was tricky but it's always good to get a personal account from folks like you. I'm in my mid thirties and in reasonably good shape; I guess I'd better dive it now before Father Time starts kicking my ass!

Rough water makes it very difficult to exit through the narrow wedge between the rocks. While entry is easiest during high tide - you can jump off from the platform rock - I myself prefer to make my entrance and exit on the flat rock on the left. You just need to munster some muscles to climb up. Otherwise I agree to call the dive if it's rough. I have a video somewhere of what happens when you get slammed by the waves while trying to exit :) I gotta upload it. Cathedral Rocks is also where I learned that trying to fight the waves by holding to the rocks with bare hands is futile. I lost my fingerprints for a couple of months :wink:

I've been thinking about this thread since I saw it. If you can't find someone that has dived the Rocks before, I'd be willing to meet you there and advise you where to enter and exit, although if you have experience with rocky shore dives that spot is self evident. There is only one spot that entry and exit is "safe". Last time I was there a couple of young ladies helped me get out; it was one of those times the dive should have been called but it wasn't that bad except that it got worse while we were diving. Having some to help to exit isn't a bad thing. Conditions there can go from but to badder quick. After your dive I'd make my trip worthwhile by doing a dive or two at Folly Cove for which you are invited to dive if you'd like. Let me know the weekend before you want to go. It's a day trip for me so I need a little lead time. One more piece of advise don't try the dive when the wind is out of the north /north east.

I'll make that dive with you. It's been a while since I dove Cathedral. Most weekends are good with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom