Regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I'm fairly new to diving. I got certified end of last December and bought my gear when I got certified not knowing how often I would be going diving. Now I have about 40 dives and am thinking of upgrading my regulator. Currently I have a scuba pro mk11/ r195 I know it's a entry level reg set up and is easy breathing when I'm in a regular swimming position but any other and it gets hard. Especially head up so as I'm ascending it gets hard to breath almost like I have to try hard to suck in the air. So my question is I've been doing some reading and seems that some of the better regs don't have that problem. I'm looking at the scuba pro a700/s600 and the g260, has anyone had experience with these regs and can tell me if they notice any difference between them and what reg you guys would choose thanks for the advice in advance.

As you change physical positions the pressure on the diaphragm on the 2nd stage changes, as well as pressure dynamics on you. All regs will breathe a bit harder face up and in the vertical position, that's physics. That's not a bad rig at all and should do you for years. Think about having it tuned, though it may not make any difference.

I have MK14 (very similar to the MK 11) and a G200, but started out with an r190. I have no problem going on any dive at any recreational depth (including deep, cold, and current) for hundreds of dives.

FWIW, my wife has a MK20 (which is very similar to the MK25) and a G250HP, the balanced 2nd stage that's been around for years. I inherited the MK14 from her when she "upgraded". As far as I'm concerned my rig breathes better, is more reliable (pistons have their own issues) and is a damn sight easier to work on (the 250 has too many parts). I've been overhauling both for years and know them from the bench to the deeps. Both rigs have been hard at work for 15+ years and hundreds of dives.

There's a reason some of the very experienced folks around here like things like the MK5, MK10 and the R109. They are simple and they simply work.

Methinks you are just looking for a reason to buy a fancy regulator. :wink:

Last edited:
If your only complaint with the R195 is how it breathes when you change positions, you could end up spending a lot of $$ for disappointing results. The regs you cited have similar case designs and will be similarly affected by your body position. You may realize a bit better performance just because those other 2nds have a bit better inherent performance but it may not be easily noticable in comparision to a well tuned R195. Also, some of your percieved position related performance changes will seem to be reduced as you get more experience and get used to the rather small chaqnges that occur.

I have to agree with the OP. I have a C300/Mk11 rig and found it hard to breathe off of as well. I upgraded to the S600/Mk25 (I got a steal of a deal on two sets) and I love them. I still have times where my reg breathes a bit hard but not like the C300. Now I will say that I have heard that the C300 can be tuned to breathe like an S600. I would suggest doing like the others have mentioned and get it tuned then try it out. I didn't have that option at the time plus I got the killer deal so I went with new reg's. It defintely can't hurt to try the tuning route, it would definintely be a cheap start. Good luck!

The difference between your 'entry level' regulator and an 'advanced' regulator is almost nothing - you may want to get it tuned and then try it again before shelling out more money :) I have done around 100 cave dives with that exact setup you have there. That said if you want a new shiny s600 - I'm a gear buying enabler! I say buy it. Although after tuning your current regulator you may not find much of a difference.

it's not gonna be like breathing through a straw and then BAM cyklon 300 drowning you with air!!!!
it's more like ~10%+/-5% difference in breathing harshness (depending on tuning). (don't quote me on that 10% lol... it's a guestimation at best!)

TL;DR: tuned r195 will serve you for many years.

Back
Top Bottom