Shore diving Big Island with spouse with bad back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A loving husband will lift her gear off water so she can climb the ladder with only her wet suit on. Why would a boat be any better (especially, considering Hawaiian surf) than Mahukona is beyond my imagination. Unless the boat is equipped with some kind of lift or crane, of course.

Hi tarponchik,

This is easy to answer. Mainly, my feeling is that on a boat you have extra helping hands besides the kind husband. And Kona boat diving spots in Kona are not "surf spots". You are at moorings with generally mild sea conditions, which is the attraction of Kona diving.

1.) Mahukona can be flat calm, but often there is some surge. The ladder is exposed to this surge. There is no "boat crew" to help. Hubby would need to carry the gear in and out via the ladder. It is definitely do-able with care, and just depends and the relative experience of the divers. No problem when flat, slightly challenging with mild surge, not wise with moderate surge.

2.) The Kona coast where the majority of boat dives occur is more sheltered than Mahukona is. Certainly there can be some movement, rocking and rolling, but boat diving in Kona with most of the operators is a "valet" experience, with helping hands.

The above were the reasons I recommended boat diving for someone with a bad back. Shore diving can be absolutely fine and safe with good conditions; but boat diving can often be safer in conditions with surge.

Note: Since the format of the forum changed, my "location" does not appear under my avatar any longer. I was raised and still live on the Big Island (in Hilo), and have been diving off and on here since I was a teenager (since 1976).

Best wishes.

Hi,
1) If there is any surge at Mahukona, diving there is pointless, cause vis goes to near zero. Tried this once, aborted in 15 min. There is too much sand around.
2) Generally speaking, if there is any surge, IMHO re-entering the boat is more difficult than climbing on a fixed ladder at the shore, no matter how many hands help you. In the former case you need to coordinate two moving objects, yourself and the boat, while when climbing the fixed ladder only you are moving. Bigger boats are more stable, of course; small boats with the ladder going up and down on a flexible joint are the worst case.

Best of luck.

You both have valid points re: mahukona. I live 10 minutes up the road from there and dive it regularly, in moderate surge getting out on the ladder is a matter of timing for the most part. Depending on how bad her back is the ladder is probably doable in calm seas.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom