Could The World's Worst Airport Be In Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The airport in Manado, Sulawesi is much worse, but the diving is better. Too bad I can't afford go to that crappy airport every year and stand in line. Until I can afford that, I am happy to stand in line in Roatan. I do have hope that my next trip (July) will be a little better since I am trying the new Honduran Immigration Pre-check. In general, the worse the airport, the better the diving.

I love your perspective. The airport in Roatan helped me to see just how cosmopolitan the Manado airport really was :wink: I'm happy to visit either one, because that means I'm getting ready to experience some awesome dive experiences!

I can see where such crowds and a broken air conditioner would make things miserable quickly. We've been there numerous times and have learned a few things along the way, sometimes easy lessons...sometimes hard lessons. We generally fly in on Thursday and out on Sunday - MUCH less to deal with on those days. And we've taken advantage of the extra time to make a few friends at the airport...that never hurts anything.

The pre-immigration works wonders. Make sure that you wave your form in the air when you enter immigration and stay in the extreme left-side. The problem becomes one of waiting for your luggage.

I will try the Thursday to Sunday trick next time - not sure whether CCV accomodates that arrangement?

Manado isnt a bad airport at all......Fascene on the other hand...worst airport i've ever been through - beats POM pre renovations and Sorong by miles.
No aircon? oh well, im sure humans survive without aircon quite a few places, you will too. No Food - probably a good thing. No Seats - I suppose if you threw a few 10,000 ariares around someone would get you a milk crate to sit on. Corruption - if we dont get you on the way in, we get you on the way out. Stand in line? how civilized..at Fascene its smash your way through a seething mass of other humans trying to smash their way to the front counter to give some more money to someone for something - its like a UFC fight departure and landing.
We want your Juicy Couture handbag but that's not on the list of things we decided to put on the board that are not allowed on planes so we will take your Ammonite and threaten to throw it in the bin with theatrical gestures until we have you so stressed out we send you back outside to do it all again. Baggage on the right plane? we don't know you will walk along the tarmac and point out your bags and hope for the best. Don't blame us if we think you pointed to the wrong bag. Not our problem.

Just be thankful your plane arrives and takes off, that in itself is a 50/50.

Worse than Sorong?! The mind staggers

I've seen security at Roatan make very beautifully made up friend give up quite a few items from her little clear liquids baggie. That day the rule was that your liquids bag can't have that many items in it.

She was tried to get me to give up a few things too. she must have seen something in my face because when I threw out the Lypsol, as I explained her B.S. to her very calmly explaining how many times I'd been through that year . . .well, suffice to say, that was all I lost. But my friend and I learned a valuable lesson. :wink: dont use the liquids baggie as a makeup bag. eye shadows and pencils etc. don't need to be in the baggie and make sure all the liquids, jells and creams containers look seriously gross.

Oh and never carry my Juicy Couture or Ammonite with me on trips like that. :D

Oh and never carry my Juicy Couture or Ammonite with me on trips like that. :D

Oh? I thought couture was de riguer on dive trips these days.....heh. Seriously I never usually travel looking like anything but a homeless crazy cat lady begging for cheese but I was going to a couple of countries and I had this stupid idea of trying to be all ladylike and sophisticated in one of them.

Ammonite is dive related item.....refer the nautilus :D

I knew what you meant by carrying your purse for purposes other than dive destinations. For those times, I keep mine empty in checked bag.

"If you can't change something you don't like, change your attitude." I do try so hard to do that in the Jakarta airport. Lately, it seems to have helped a little. :)

I didn't think Jakarta was that bad. Confusing maybe, but not all that bad.

Now taxi rides to the hotel and back to the airport on the overnight layover....once in a lifetime experience. :shocked:

WTF is Ammonite? Why is anyone bringing a fossil on a dive trip? (My dive buddy notwithstanding). No new age answers please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom