Could The World's Worst Airport Be In Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm aware of this, I'm here right now. However, it doesn't change the fact that it's typical 3rd world. If it were not for the diving, there would be absolutely no reason to come here. Unless of course, you like looking at garbage and abandoned buildings!

I've actually enjoyed the "3rd world" countries I've visited. Most of the people are friendly and seem to be quite happy, despite having far less than we do, here in Canada. I do go for the diving, primarily, but also like to experience the culture, language(s), history, food and ecology. Garbage is a problem, but it's primarily due to a lack of infastructure.......a lot of it is discarded "packaging" that we (Canada and the US) have foisted on them. A lot of the "abandoned" buildings are "just not finished yet".....at least that's what I learned from one of the guides in Guatemala. It's the same reason that you often see rebar sticking out from the upper story of a building. i.e. the possible need to add another floor if the family grows.

It's the same reason that you often see rebar sticking out from the upper story of a building

I was told that in Jamaica and Mexico the buildings aren't taxed until they're completed so they're only completed "just enough" and hence the rebar. Anyone know if that actually has a basis in fact or not?

seeker242, geez buddy, do yourself a favor and take a ride up and down the highway from one end to the other. Spend a little time at a beach bar in West Bay. . .

seeker242, geez buddy, do yourself a favor and take a ride up and down the highway from one end to the other. Spend a little time at a beach bar in West Bay. . .

Already did that! :) If all I wanted was a beach with with bars, I would just stay in FL!

Honduras is a developing nation that offers a fairly decent diving vacation at an extremely BUDGET rate. I can go there, stay and dive for a week for 500 USD, lodging and boat dives included. Food is good an plenty and people are friendly. You want a 5 star experience? Raise the rates to five times and you will have it.

I'm not arguing about the diving, the food or accommodations. That's a non-issue. We all like that or else this conversation would not be happening.

This is about the airport. We already pay $39 to use that sh1thole. Airlines pay massive landing fees. What's so difficult to understand here. This is not about the quality of the bars in the West End.

Reactions: Doc
I'm not arguing about the diving, the food or accommodations. That's a non-issue. We all like that or else this conversation would not be happening.

This is about the airport. We already pay $39 to use that sh1thole. Airlines pay massive landing fees. What's so difficult to understand here. This is not about the quality of the bars in the West End.

About 28% of all children in nations classified as "developing countries" are underweight or stunned. Half of humanity is effected by water problems. Yet, these populations should be spending all their resources on the freakin' airport so that the "Western tourist" could land in style and should have a more comfortable 90 minutes.

The "first world arrogance" being displayed here is really mind boggling.

About 28% of all children in nations classified as "developing countries" are underweight or stunned. Half of humanity is effected by water problems. Yet, these populations should be spending all their resources on the freakin' airport so that the "Western tourist" could land in style and should have a more comfortable 90 minutes.

That's absolute balderdash. This is an argument about the lousy airport. They charge us "Western Tourists" to use their crappy facilities. If you're so concerned about world poverty, I suggest that you forgo your vacations and donate the money to humanitarian organizations. And while you're at it, you can sell your frivolous diving gear and donate that too. Do you suppose for one nanosecond that the airport fees go anywhere else other than line the pocket of some crooked pol? Don't drag my complaint into some holier than thou bitch slap and inject guilt into this. Talk about arrogance.

I think you don't understand the fact that tourism is a big part of Honduras' GDP, it indirectly funds a lot of things in the rest of country like roads, schools, police stations, social programs... and directly funds a lot of people in the tourist zones by providing pay checks for them through having a job directly related to tourism like dive master, waiter, hotel clerk and then multiplies indirectly through the community through those people spending their paychecks at the gas station, the grocery store, the furniture store...

If you realize the importance of tourism in this country you understand the importance of providing tourists a means to keep being a tourist in that country- being able to fly in and out of it. So yes as boggling as it may seem, it's really important to spend a small amount of your resources on something like the airport to ensure the huge return on the investment you get year after year.

Not everyone in Roatan wants to make their living doing 110 ft bounce dives 40 times a day on a cramped death trap of a lobster boat until you are paralyzed for life from decompression sickness.

tridacna, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on your way out of the airport. It does sound worse than what I've experienced there other than the horrible bugs getting their last bites into me.

It's hard for me to get too riled up about this because I've got more experience with that airport when you had to also line up to pay the $39. Now that really made it a sh** show.
I also leave on Sundays not Saturdays. No idea if that makes a difference or not.

Having only been through there 3 times I don't know if my experience is normal or not.

AKR was there getting things together for arrival. As for departure, last time I was there you had to pay the fee before leaving which meant standing in line at least twice. We came in and out on Saturday and it was never that bad. My own experience rates the airport on Grand Cayman worse than Roatan. But I got the extra special screening the last time I was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom