Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I admit my response was a bit passive aggressive
In some situations being passive aggressive sounds to me like twice as much work as the situation calls for.

They all got naked everyday. You get to where you ignore it pretty quickly!

Or not, depending on what they look like. I figured out a long time ago that I'm seldom required to look at things if I don't want to, so I really don't understand why so many people are bothered when other people are naked. What they do while they're naked may be a different story, but being offended is still something that requires your cooperation.

Eye bleach, everyone should bring it with them on the boat. Some things cannot be unseen. YMMV

This is why I like diving with friends and try to stick with dive groups of people I know and are experienced. I try to stay friendly, but I have been ticked off by people messing with my gear and won't leave it alone because some dive agency told them they were the expert. Or the diver who just got certified who tried to put his gear on my bottles that have something other than air in them and gets mad when I ask them to move. If you dive locally get to know the boat captains and folks running the charters and you can get on boats that have better crowds and if there is a dive group that has the same people regularly come out also helps because then you know each other and generally have better boat manners. We all make mistakes regardless of skill level, but folks should always not try and piss off the other people on a boat.

Did a week in Saba - the other divers on the boat were from the UK.
They all got naked everyday. You get to where you ignore it pretty quickly!

That's your story, and you're sticking to it, D?

Because they are used by "selfholes".

I thought those poles were called Selfish Sticks. .....

I've done well this week, finding new buddies. I met a group of somewhat older, experienced divers online, and have dived several times with some of their group.
Of course I've avoided any cattle boats, and I have done 6-7 solos when I couldn't find a good buddy.
Heading out for another in @ 10 minutes

That's your story, and you're sticking to it, D?
I thought those poles were called Selfish Sticks. .....

Because they are used by "selfholes".

Out of curiosity, is it the go-pro (or other alternative mini video camera) that bugs you or is it the fact that it is on a stick?

In either case, what about it do you find so rude or selfish or whatever?

Out of curiosity, is it the go-pro (or other alternative mini video camera) that bugs you or is it the fact that it is on a stick?

In either case, what about it do you find so rude or selfish or whatever?

I would be interested to know why also. I use an Aquapod and I love it. I had no idea it was irritating other divers.

I had no idea it was irritating other divers.
As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with the sticks themselves, but, as with so many other things, it depends on who's using it and what they're doing with it. I haven't encountered it yet, but I've heard plenty of stories about clueless and inconsiderate people who use the extra reach to shove their cameras in front of other divers and to just poke the camera at fish. Because the best way to get a good fish picture is speed and surprise, I guess.

I suspect the "on a stick" part like on land means that the person using it doesn't necessarily think about what that extra "reach" does to others. Nothing more annoying than heaps of shots that get ruined by the Go-Pro in the frame. I admit I like to get shots of divers taking pics of things but I like them to be composted the way I want!

Unfortunately the availability of cameras often means that people get too focused on getting the shot and lose Situational Awareness. Too often selfishness comes with camera in hand. I will often yield one of my finds to someone with a camera that I think will get a better shot but I resent it when someone feels entitled because they have a bigger and more expensive system than mine.

I really hate the reputation that underwater photographers are getting. Squeaky wheel and all that stuff I guess. In reality if a newer diver to an area wants to see the good stuff, follow a good photographer. Stay well back and watch, they often find the kewlest stuff, dive slow and know how to approach things. When they are done then have a careful look. If you are respectful many will be happy to share the experience with you. They may even want to use you as a model in some of their shots. Win win for everyone as you may even be able to get them to send you some pic from the dives.

I really hate the reputation that underwater photographers are getting.

I don't think the UW photographers are getting a bad rap, I've found them to be good folk which focus on the object of their affection, take pictures, and don't bother anyone. The ones I object to are are the the same people that push you out of the way to take a lame selfie on the surface. They have as little talent as they have manners, and to call them a photographer is stretching a point to the limit.

I have done some surface work that wasn't bad, and I limit my UW work to snapshots to show friends one reason I do things that they consider dangerous and crazy.

I haven't run across one with a stick being rude yet, but if I did, I would let them know where to stow it.

Bob
----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Back
Top Bottom