Trip Report - Solo trip to Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a little background first - I first dove during a resort course in the BVI 8 years ago. 3 years ago I did another resort course in TCI. I finally got my OW and AOW last year, and then dove for 2 days in Grand Cayman. Unfortunately, my family doesn't dive and we aren't doing a family beach vacation this year. I really wanted to dive, so I looked for a relatively inexpensive, safe place to dive. Cozumel came highly recommended. Being solo, and not outgoing, and in a strange country, I wanted some place with onsite dining. And since I was just there to dive, I wanted lots of diving. Thus, Scuba Club Cozumel.

I booked a 5 night/4 day diving + 1 wreck dive with Carradonna. Customs was quick, and then a very short drive to the hotel. The hotel is very clean and well maintained feeling. Check-in was fast. The room is small, but certainly more than large enough for one person to relax in. I was in room 12 (second floor) and had a nice view of the pool and ocean. I checked in at the dive center and then walked into town to explore a little before dinner. I was a little worried about the dining as I'm fairly picky and wasn't sure about the Mexican cuisine, but I left full from every meal.

Diving started at 8am the next morning. I was a little nervous as I hadn't been diving in a year (though I did take a refresher), but the boat crew (I was on the Reef Star) were outstanding. They helped setup the gear if you needed, and took care of it between the first and second dive. I had Ariel as my DM on all 9 days and he was excellent. He gave a good briefing before each dive. I didn't have a buddy, so I tried to stay up at the front of the group near him. And he was excellent at pointing out things. I have no idea how he kept spotting the camouflaged marine life. Buddy pairs would ascend as one ran out of air, but he stayed until the end. I have very good air consumption, so always ascended with him (generally it was just me, him, and one other diver) and would still have about 1000 PSI after 50-60 minutes. I actually would have been worried, I think, if I had to ascend early as you would just rise to the surface and have to wait for the boat to spot you. At least he had a sausage signal. The dive boats were great at following us, though, and were always right overhead at the end.

We dove Palancar Caves, Chankanaab, C53 wreck, Colombia, Punta Tunich, Santa Rosa Wall, Yucab, Dalila, and Tormentos Reef. Lots of large sea life, neat swim throughs (I'd never done that before), interesting coral. There were a couple of flats that were a little boring, until the shark, or ray, would swim by. The wreck was my first wreck dive, and was fairly difficult. Not really for inexperienced divers. But lots of large crustaceans to be seen.

My only real complaint was the lack of afternoon dives. They put out a signup sheet every morning, but if they don't get enough divers, they don't do the dive. I signed up every day, but only once was there enough, and that was for the wreck. I didn't have anyone to shore dive with, so I spent the afternoon walking to town, and then looking longingly at the ocean. I'm also not a great fan of the drift dive. Yes, it is effortless (mostly) and you cover a lot of territory. But it is difficult to stay in one place if you are trying to get a good look at something. And with 8-9 other divers all trying to take a look at the same thing before getting pulled away, it gets crowded.

All in all, I had an excellent time. I would probably make this my solo dive destination... except for the lack of afternoon diving. Since this trip is all about the diving, I will look for somewhere else for my next trip. Possibly somewhere else on Cozumel if I can find somewhere that guarantees 3 dives a day, and if I can find somewhere with as convenient diving as SCC.
zL3AslTOppPAt1KsBbpxWhCnvO4d06-NI3F1V3wKPXo

cD7oK0Ue27c1kCu_8OShpE4xdmKs79I7O7aiThaiVmI

7w81FX8oa4tgaxLOLD7E3eMw1S80HkChQRDpAFLcEHg

S21qDDnNhtxd-vzBEKJPbBv-M8GGaeNF9qhUGA_-aII

Thanks for your great report! If you want afternoon dives, consider The Blue Angel which is fairly close to SCC. We stay at the BA every time we're in Coz and frequently do four dives a day. The BA has a good restaurant, great dive shop, fast boats, and wonderful DMs. Even if you don't stay there, you can still book afternoon dives with them. And they also do night dives!

You should always have an SMB or preferably a DSMB with you on a drift dive.

Much easier for the boat to spot you when you have deployed a DSMB before your safety stop.

I have ALWAYS carried an SMB with when I dive in Cozumel. What I do is completely immaterial to the question I asked.

My question was- do Scuba Club's DMs not send up SMBs for divers who are not properly equipped with one? Based on my experience, and shared experiences from other- that is not the norm in Cozumel. I have seen many divers there without SMBs (I think that is crazy)- and I've had multiple people ask me for recommendations on dive ops. Knowing that SCC doesn't do something that I assumed most boats did is information that is good to share with people asking about dive ops. Of course, I would tell them to verify when they book- but it is good to know.

I've been on dives where the DM did not send up a marker, but it is because the other divers did it themselves. I have never been on a dive where divers surfaced with no marker at all.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2015 at 09:15 PM ----------

I've done a lot of dives where the DM did not send a marker up, it's not all that uncommon. I carry one of my own and will send it up myself if we're not close together....

On those dives were there other divers (not you, as you obviously had your own) without SMBs who surfaced with nothing at all? That was my question- was that really what happened on these dives, or did I read it wrong?

Skittl, not all op DM's send up their SMBs with the first divers out of air. The reason is this: once their SMB is up, they become a kite. Now depending on how the current is, that may or may not be an issue. If the current is strong, then they will be dragged at warp speed and all the rest of the divers along with them following the DM. If you have divers who can inflate their own SMBs when they are low on air from depth (not a typical occurrence since it isn't a skill learned in basic scuba training) then it is better for all the other divers that the DM not inflate his. When you have divers who don't know how to inflate an SMB from depth, then the DM will typically do so. But it does mess up the dive for remaining divers if there is any sort of current. But I agree with you...sending divers up without the benefit of an SMB (theirs or the DM's) is asking for trouble. It certainly creates a dilemma for dive ops when they have divers on the boat with widely variable air usage.

I think my question for the OP would be...why were you surfacing when you still had 1000 lbs of air? Had you hit our NDL or did the op enforce a time limit on your dives? That is of interest/concern to members.

I have ALWAYS carried an SMB with when I dive in Cozumel. What I do is completely immaterial to the question I asked.

My question was- do Scuba Club's DMs not send up SMBs for divers who are not properly equipped with one? Based on my experience, and shared experiences from other- that is not the norm in Cozumel. I have seen many divers there without SMBs (I think that is crazy)- and I've had multiple people ask me for recommendations on dive ops. Knowing that SCC doesn't do something that I assumed most boats did is information that is good to share with people asking about dive ops. Of course, I would tell them to verify when they book- but it is good to know.

I've been on dives where the DM did not send up a marker, but it is because the other divers did it themselves. I have never been on a dive where divers surfaced with no marker at all.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2015 at 09:15 PM ----------

On those dives were there other divers (not you, as you obviously had your own) without SMBs who surfaced with nothing at all? That was my question- was that really what happened on these dives, or did I read it wrong?

Thanks for the report.
I was a little surprised that SCC didn't offer an afternoon dive as a standard third dive for the day.
Most similar dive specific resorts I've been to offered a minimum three dives a day.
We knew that going in to our stay, and enjoyed our stay there this spring.

Our dive master at SCC would send up an SMB when appropriate, which in my mind isn't all the time, nor is it needed all the time.

So when in your mind is it appropriate? Sorry, but I completely disagree. Drift diving along the reefs in cozumel. Multiple dive boats. Sorry but a dsmb should be used on every ascent in that scenario. Please enlighten me as to when you feel it is not needed.

My apologies! ScubaBoard wasn't sending me notifications on this thread, so am just now reading the questions. The DM (one for ~8 of us) did NOT send up a SMB with the first divers to ascend. As they were always on the boat before I got to the surface, I do not know if they had their own or not. I did see that some people had them clipped to their BCDs, but don't know if they used theirs. I had one, but the rental gear I had didn't have any clips on it, and since I saw the DM had one, I didn't use mine (I know, probably not a wise decision).

As for why I ascended with 1000 PSI, the DM called the dive after an hour. I'm fairly small (5'4, 110 lbs) and have a music background, so I'm very good with air consumption. I believe the DM probably had around 500 PSI when he surfaced. The surface intervals actually weren't long enough for me as a few times I was getting close to my deco limit on the second dive. My very last dive, I had to stay up about 15' from the group to conserve my time. I will probably get Nitrox certified before my next trip to avoid that situation.

In my opinion, there is no need to deploy a SMB from depth if you surface early. Deploy it at your safety stop or a little deeper. There is a trade-off between the pressure changes and increased inflation at various depths.

If required, just inflate it once you surface having been very careful to listen for boats before you surface. The risk from boats is non-trivial so maximizing the chance that they will see you is good.

I wonder if during higher speed cruise periods that the boats travel offset from where most people would surface?

it is not uncommon for divers to surface alone with no marker, for reasons others have mentioned in their replies:

Skittl, not all op DM's send up their SMBs with the first divers out of air. The reason is this: once their SMB is up, they become a kite. Now depending on how the current is, that may or may not be an issue. If the current is strong, then they will be dragged at warp speed and all the rest of the divers along with them following the DM.

This being one of the main reasons...

Our dive master at SCC would send up an SMB when appropriate, which in my mind isn't all the time, nor is it needed all the time.

I agree.

In my opinion, there is no need to deploy a SMB from depth if you surface early. Deploy it at your safety stop or a little deeper. There is a trade-off between the pressure changes and increased inflation at various depths.

If required, just inflate it once you surface having been very careful to listen for boats before you surface. The risk from boats is non-trivial so maximizing the chance that they will see you is good.

I see this done on a fairly regular basis.

I wonder if during higher speed cruise periods that the boats travel offset from where most people would surface?

For the most part, in my experience, yes. If they are cruising at higher speeds approaching a dive boat at idle, they generally give them a wide berth.

So when in your mind is it appropriate? Sorry, but I completely disagree. Drift diving along the reefs in cozumel. Multiple dive boats. Sorry but a dsmb should be used on every ascent in that scenario. Please enlighten me as to when you feel it is not needed.

We had some divers on the boat that headed to a safety stop at about 35 minutes. The currents were strong, the boat was close and very few other dive boats in the area. If the Dive master sent up his SMB our dive was essentially over. The boat came in quick and started picking people up as they surfaced. No need for an SMB in my book.

This nice trip report is kind of getting hijacked by an SMB discussion. I just don't go with the sky is falling approach. I don't feel every time I hit the surface an SMB better be out. I also don't think a divemaster is my babysitter. The divemaster usually has 6-8 customers to work with on a dive not just those that surface first. We were usually with the divemaster at the end of the dive but I carried my own SMB and never felt the need to deploy it once.

"Music background" = better air consumption? Are you a tuba player?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom