2x - BCD's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro does

SeaQuest, Oceanic, Triple-L and Genesis come to mind for jacket BCs. I'm sure there are more. I have a 2x Oceanic Probe and believe it to be the most confortable jacket type I have tried.
SkyChi

ScottZeagle:
a 2XL for Zeagle is nothing....we have made up to a 7X!!!

Talk about a big BC....

I gotta ask, what does a 7X fit???

I'm interested guys... I've been looking at the Triple L Orion, the Avid, and the Phantom. I'm 6'3" and have a long torso/wide shoulders/love handles. I have trouble with XL and even some 2XL's fitting because they ride up under my pecs instead of around my waist. The purge valve on the inflator usually ends up almost behind me, instead of resting on top of my shoulder, cummerbunds almost never fit, although the Avid was adjustable enough to get closed.

Price was making me look at the Triple L, now I'm gonna head out to the Zeagle site and see what you guys recommend for long torsos... wish my LDS had something I could test fit though. The brands they carry simply won't fit. I'm also guessing about the BP/W setup, as I've never had the opportunity to dive that setup...

Scott, may be calling you soon!

Although backplates come in a variety of styles and sizes, the fact of the matter is that they are essentially a one-size-fits-all solution. Really tall folks (well over 6 feet) may want a longer backplate but lots of us tall folks don't use them. To get a better fit all you need to do is to lengthen/shorten the webbing.

There are a number of brands out there, all with minor variations that serve to distinguish them from one-another. I own a FredT steel heavy long plate that I use for single tank diving, an OMS aluminum plate that I use for doubles and a Halcyon plate that I use as a tire chock, but there's no reason that most folks would need more than one. My recommendation for new converts is to consider the standard sizes in either steel or aluminum, stay away from the plastic ones, the flat ones and other unusual twists. You'll also need to pick a wing to go with it, for recreational divers a 30 pound wing is more than adequate and can be had from a variety of sources, including Dive Rite, OxyCheq, Deep Outdoors, and Halcyon.

Backplates aren't as comfortable on land as a stab jacket but in water they're more comfortable than a stab jacket and you'll notice a substantial performance benefit. Some folks complain about backplate/wings pitching them forward on the surface, that's only a problem if you're over-inflating and trying to lift yourself too high in the water.

Don't let concerns about technical diving scare you off these things, you don't have to be diving the Andrea Doria to use a backplate. The fact of the matter is that the technical divers are using them because they have tried everything else and found that this is the best solution available for performance, fit, reliability and simplicity. Like anything "new", diving with a backplate will require some getting used to, but it's worth it even if you don't have sizing issues with regular BCD's.

It can take a little bit of time to set one up and it's a really good idea if get some qualified help the first time or two you try, but once you get them dialed in they fit like an old pair of shoes. Really.

Jmaserati:
I'm interested guys... I've been looking at the Triple L Orion, the Avid, and the Phantom. I'm 6'3" and have a long torso/wide shoulders/love handles. I have trouble with XL and even some 2XL's fitting because they ride up under my pecs instead of around my waist. The purge valve on the inflator usually ends up almost behind me, instead of resting on top of my shoulder, cummerbunds almost never fit, although the Avid was adjustable enough to get closed.

Price was making me look at the Triple L, now I'm gonna head out to the Zeagle site and see what you guys recommend for long torsos... wish my LDS had something I could test fit though. The brands they carry simply won't fit. I'm also guessing about the BP/W setup, as I've never had the opportunity to dive that setup...

Scott, may be calling you soon!

J,

Couple thoughts. Are you using a crotch strap? Big help in keeping any bc down where it will do some good. Without a CS inflating the rig at the surface raises the rig, but not you.

Even more important with back inflate, including BP&W. The "face in the water" happens when a wing is over inflated in an effort to lift the diver. Being over weighted, or no CS makes this likely.

Too bad your not in SoCal as we are having demos for our gear.

Regards,

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom