Best tablet for sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazon or eBay. For those of us north of the 49, amazon.com is no longer an option. eBay however has lots and lots of sellers. $7US free ship worldwide for 100 pills. If you want chewable they cost more.

Scopamine patch is the only thing that does anything for me now a days. But it is prescription only in the USA.

No, it's over the counter... I think the last time I got it was at CVS but you can also find it online at Amazon in huge quantities for very cheap.Jim

Hi Jim,

Actually, it's both.

Meclizine HCI is the active ingredient in Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula (which deosn't mean entirely non-drowsy) & various generic formulations @25mg per dose. At this dosage, it is FDA approved only to treat motion sickness.

Prescription strength meclizine HCL (e.g., Antivert/50) is approved for treating both motion sickness & vertigo.

Of course, all of this can be altered by altering dosing schedules, but this is not recommended without physician approval.

Regards,

DocVikingo

We find that in Mexico we can get Stugeron and it works for my wife. It is NOT approved in the USA. but is approve in many European countries. Go figure. Anyway. I am going to remind everyone it's very foolish to take drugs without consulting a physican.

In Belize I saw a young gal that I thought was going to die on the boat ride out to the Blue Hole, it was a rough ride. We had lunch on a island and she hit it off with one of the crew, on the ride back she was up on the flying bridge playing kisses face with the crew and had no problem with seasickness and the boat ride was worst. :blinking:

The active ingredient in Gravol is dimenhydrinate. Below is a published resreach on the effects of dimenhydrinate at depth:

"Pharmacotherapy 20(9):1051-1054, 2000:

The Psychometric and Cardiac Effects of Dimenhydrinate in the Hyperbaric Environment

David McD. Taylor, M.D., Kevin S. O'Toole, M.D., Thomas E. Auble, Ph.D., Christopher M. Ryan, Ph.D., and David R. Sherman, R.N.

Abstract

Study Objectives. To examine the psychometric and cardiac effects of dimenhydrinate at 1 and 3 atmospheres (atm) of pressure (0 and 66 feet of sea water, respectively), and to make recommendations about the drug's safety in the diving environment.
Design. Double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study.

Setting. Monoplace hyperbaric chamber of a university hospital.

Subjects. Thirty active divers (mean age 38 yrs).

Interventions. A bank of seven tests was used to assess cognitive function during four different dive combinations: placebo-1 atm, placebo-3 atm, dimenhydrinate-1 atm, and dimenhydrinate-3 atm.

Measurements and Main Results. Heart rate and cardiac rhythm were recorded during all dives. Repeated-measures multivariate analysis of variance was used to analyze the effects of dimenhydrinate, depth, and drug-depth interaction. Dimenhydrinate resulted in a significant decrease in scores of mental flexibility (trail-making, part B, p<0.05) but had no effect on scores in the six other psychometric tests (p>0.05). It had no effect on mean heart rate (p>0.05), although frequent unifocal ventricular ectopic beats occurred in two subjects after ingestion of the drug. Depth resulted in a significant decrease in verbal memory test scores (p=0.001) and mean heart rate (p<0.001).

Conclusion. Dimenhydrinate adversely affects mental flexibility. This effect, when added to the adverse effect of depth on memory, may contribute to the dangers of diving."

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Hi Jim,

Actually, it's both.

Meclizine HCI is the active ingredient in Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula (which deosn't mean entirely non-drowsy) & various generic formulations @25mg per dose. At this dosage, it is FDA approved only to treat motion sickness.

Prescription strength meclizine HCL (e.g., Antivert/50) is approved for treating both motion sickness & vertigo.

I stand corrected... In the dosage I take, 25mg, I bought it over the counter. The 25 mg dose works for me.

Thanks for the clarification...

Jim

Hi Jim,

Actually, it's both.

Of course, all of this can be altered by altering dosing schedules, but this is not recommended without physician approval.

Regards,

DocVikingo

A quick look at ingredients says "Dramamine Less Drowsy" is 25 mg Dimenhydrinate and old-fashioned Dramime is 50 mg.

I guess "Less Drowsy" is marketing for "Less medications"

--------added---------------------
And exactly the same as purchasing "Low Calorie" alcohol :D :D :D

Last edited:
I have had great luck with ginger pills. I usually take some the day/night before and then the morning of the boat. I also did a live aboard with ginger pills and had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom