Shark feeder loses parts of two fingers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[X-Files Music]Conspiracy theory time, doesn't Randy have this court hearing next month? If it was a feeding incident, it would be best to put out some other story so it doesn't produce more negative press. [/X-Files Music]

Regardless of what happened, I hope he has a quick recovery. That injury looks painful and I could only imagine what was going through his mind on ascent. Scary.

I don't own a spear gun, but have thought about learning. Are there classes and certifications for using a spear gun? If so, do they teach about lines potentially wrapping around fingers? Was this a preventable accident? Or do spear gun hunters learn from other hunters?

I think if it were a shark bite it is quite likely that it would take the kevlar glove with the fingers and then spit the glove and it's contents out when it didn't feel like food.

However, to me, it seems unlikely that a shark would bite hard enough and precise enough to completely remove two fingers and leave the rest unscathed. I would think if a shark did bite his gloved hand very hard, his other fingers would probably have gotten beat up to some extent.. plus the rumor mill (from what I hear) has not generated any stories that it wasn't as described.

Randy was using a special type of line on his gun that is not commonly used. It is very strong, very cut resistant but also more prone to tangling problems. Spearfishing is not entirely controllable and when you throw sharks into the mix, things can happen that are not avoidable.

I rarely see any courses in spearfishing; it is a dangerous activity that is best learned by lots of observation, progressive experience under the eye of a veteran and a good dose of humility. There is much, much more to learn in spearfishing compared to simple scuba diving. Still, many of the lessons need to be learned the hard way and I've required remedial lessons on several occasions. There are no certifications for spearing.

This little video provides an example of how spearing can be simple and easy and then miss a shot by an inch and the situation can be sorta out of control in a few moments. One of my big fears when fighting a big fish on a line and having it wrap me up with 400-lb test line and then have a shark come in and hit the struggling fish that is now entangled with the diver. Thanks goodness no sharks were attracted by my recent azzz whooping.

[video=youtube_share;JVt7uPr5_Hs]http://youtu.be/JVt7uPr5_Hs[/video]

Yeah, at the end of last year I was weighing the idea of buying a decent gun and getting started on spearing cobia. Randy's accident was one thing that convinced me I should put that off until I have a LOT more experience. I've never shot something that was capable of putting up a major fight, and in SoCal the shark factor was "all or nothing" - most likely your biggest opposition would be sealions, but if there was a shark it was going to be a great white.

I saw new video posted on emerald facebook. Does anybody knows if Randy is back in the water or this is an old video?

Yup, he was back in the water a week after the accident.

Loco, completely loco. Granted, a little while back I went diving with my chin hanging open and nothing horrible settled in.

I believe Chad Carney offers a spearfishing class in S.FL.

As far as speargun rigging goes you could freeshaft or use a riding rig to avoid the entanglement hazard that Randy unfortunately experienced.

Shark, Cuda, goliath, etc snagging your catch and running off with it could happen to any spearo anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom