Diver denied treatment at a Chamber in Panama City...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not have independent hyperbaric teams on call that have agreements with local chambers? If Dcs is uncommon enough not to always have full time staff, cross train a handful of teams that can be available if the need arises.

i am ignorant of how a hospital works, but it seems profit, liability and red tape are the biggest hurdles here.

profit, liability and red tape are the biggest hurdles here.
Sounds like you are describing why the cost of health care is, has and continues to spiral out of control, no matter how they want to figure out who pays for it.

We're looking at a single incident and trying to solve the health care situation in America. This thread could spiral out of control rapidly if it continues on.... :)

Let me throw this out there. Would you want to be treated in a facility that does fourt table 6 treatments a year or a facility that's two hours away and does them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack?

Let me throw this out there. Would you want to be treated in a facility that does fourt table 6 treatments a year or a facility that's two hours away and does them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack?

The difference between a wound care and a table 6 is just time and depth. Anyone can do a table 6, even you. Open this valve until the needle on this gauge reaches here. 6 hours later drop the pressure to here.

Reactions: Ana

Exactly. The point being I don't want them more, once they don't want me.

It is sort of ironic that Panama City is the home of the largest hyperbaric research facility in the world and our tax dollars pay for it. The diving school could do the treatments and call it training.

Same reason they don't do it at the Army SF school in Key West. They don't keep a team ready unless the teams are training. If the Navy and Marine operators are in town for training, they send their own hyperbaric team with a portable trailer pot. The Army takes care of their teams, the Navy/recon guys take care of their own.

Key West also has 2 chambers at the community college for the commercial dive program. The community college is across the street from the hospital. Those chambers are not used to treat DCS either.

Anyone can do a table 6, even you.

I would hope so since I'm a Chamber Tech and Dive Medic, but in all seriousness, It's a bit more complicated than you describe. Kinda like saying anyone with a full tank can hit the Doria.

I would hope so since I'm a Chamber Tech and Dive Medic, but in all seriousness, It's a bit more complicated than you describe. Kinda like saying anyone with a full tank can hit the Doria.

It's just diving, with more tanks.... until something goes awry.

Back
Top Bottom