Question on counter lungs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepblueh2o

Reaction score
Question is for home builders. I am replacing my counter lungs and using a 200 denier nylon, waterproof, glue clothe. I am double layering the connetion points and the glue seams are half inch. Am I missing anything? Am considering a circle of liquid rubber around the contact points. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Lets skip over the "this is dangerous", stuff. :monkeydan And about that monkey thing, I've made many of those signs underwater to my dive buddy.

deepblueh2o:
Question is for home builders. I am replacing my counter lungs and using a 200 denier nylon, waterproof, glue clothe. I am double layering the connetion points and the glue seams are half inch. Am I missing anything? Am considering a circle of liquid rubber around the contact points. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Lets skip over the "this is dangerous", stuff. :monkeydan And about that monkey thing, I've made many of those signs underwater to my dive buddy.
get the seam ultrasonically welded.. much more secure..

padiscubapro:
get the seam ultrasonically welded.. much more secure..

Ureathane is RF (dipole) welded, not ultrasonic. Because this involves costly dies, I'd guess it not to be pratical for one off's.

I'd be real careful about glue however. Test your finished product and investigate any off gassing your adhesive might introduce into the loop.

BTW do you have a beginners guide to the "monkey" signals? I've had buddies do some of those............

Regards,

Tobin George

Any suggestions for a good primer on sealing nylon?

Atticus:
Any suggestions for a good primer on sealing nylon?

Atticus,

The nylons commonly used for inflatables are laminated with a layer of urethane. It is this layer that is welded via RF.

This is also true of bladders such as in a BC or wing, RF welded urethane.

Nylon can be ultrasonically welded, including fabric, but straight nylon fabric is not waterproof.

Regards,

Tobin George

Might think about going and getting the Bags (countelungs) from KISS. They have sizes, 4 6 8 liter (I think) and they are weldede etc.

Just a thought.

Mike, if memory serves me right 2, 4 and 6 liter camelback bladders.

caveseeker7:
Mike, if memory serves me right 2, 4 and 6 liter camelback bladders.

Now that's clever. Camelback bladders are RF welded urethane. I can't say for sure but I'd guess, given that Camel Backs are usually filled with water, that the "flavor" of urethane is probably the right one for sea exposure.

This would get my vote well before anything glued up at home.

Tobin George

The CL's that I am replacing were welded. The first set gave way on the second dive. The replacement pair have given away twice, the seal just comes apart. I don't have near this kind of trouble with drysuit parts that I do, so the glue I know beats the seam I don't trust anymore.
About those monkey signs, there is a gorilla back east that is writing a book....

I saw on another threat the idea of using IV bags full of shot as weight bags. Seems to me that they would also work for CLs (given that you start with something safe like a saline IV bag and clean it well) if you could get the right size. Whattayathink?

Back
Top Bottom