which bcd for padi instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also do the 'pool work' in student gear, OW work in my own gear.

Similar rationale to others (demos look the same). Also jackets are easy to deal with for students because jackets go on like jackets and plain straps (BP/W) are floppy so demos don't look smooth.

But know that stores go from not really caring, to wanting you to use what they sell to absolutely requiring it. Many stores require instructors to be in new gear every dive season, bought from the store.

So buy a cheap jacket BCD and reg to use for DM course work recognizing that it might have to be sold and replaced. If you already know where you are doing your DM and instructor work, tell them your plans so they can let you know what they want you to be in.

If you become an instructor, you will, in the end, need to have a bunch of gear around anyway, and many of us like having a pool specific set that we let die in chlorine. Everything kills dive gear put chlorine pools fade the gear in new and special ways.

There are no major differences -- a BC is a BC. However, you will not be able to demonstrate disconnecting releases to remove equipment, or (unless you install weight pockets) will you have integrated weights to demonstrate. We have not found this to be any kind of big issue. Neither Peter nor I dives a backplate during the pool work, but some of the other DMs who assist us do. We both dive them in OW, where no demonstrations are required.

PADI does not care what kind of basic equipment you use, within very broad limits. As already stated, dive shops can be far more prescriptive about what they want their instructors to use.

As far as your question about becoming an instructor goes, here a story: When I got certified, I found that, to my surprise, I LOVED diving. I wanted to do as much of it as I could, and I immediately wanted to learn how to teach others. That was basically the pattern at my dive shop . . . folks got certified, marched through specialties and Rescue, and became divemasters (often in less than a year) and then instructors. I was headed right down the same road.

And then, on my 20th dive, I dove with NWGratefulDiver. I looked at someone in the water who had skills I didn't know existed, because I had never seen them. From Bob, I went on to dive with other people who were amazing in the water. I began to learn things like gas management and decompression theory that I hadn't known were even there to be learned. I realized that I was truly a tadpole in a big pond, and that I had no business teaching other people how to do this when I knew so little myself.

Five years, about 7 or 800 dives and a whole MESS of classes and dive trips later, I thought I honestly had something to offer, and went ahead and got my DM certification.

Not a judgment, just my story. I'd recommend looking around you and finding some of the most experienced and highly trained divers you can, and spending time with them. It's an eye-opener.

about disconnetting releases, i could do something like this: x-tek_pro_tek_harness.jpg

adding a QR on the harness, or buy an harness like that one.
what do you think ?

btw i like your story;
i found a friend that is a really good instructor and every week we dive together, in each dive i learn something new and this is amazing.

why become an instructor?
because i love diving, because i love teaching, because i would like to have a chance to travel and work in some tropical paradise, and not spend all my life between office and home. :wink:

thanks to everybody!!!!
for reply :wink:

If you become an instructor, you will, in the end, need to have a bunch of gear around anyway, and many of us like having a pool specific set that we let die in chlorine. Everything kills dive gear put chlorine pools fade the gear in new and special ways.

tnx beanojones

if i will use pool, i will get a cheap set for pool,

do you use bp/w for OW?

As for the Mares Hybrid that the OP mentioned; I just checked one out recently. I really like the fact that the integrated weights can be removed. I prefer to use a weight belt rather than integrated weights.

hi pullmyfinger,
i don't remeber when i mentioned mares hybrid.

i don't like too integrated weights.
03.gif

For the open water dives, I use my own gear.
hi dbailey,
what's your gear for open water?

btw

one issue (i read) about becoming instructor with bp/w is:
don't use bp/w for your idc and IE.
why?

Hi elZub,

I was thinking about another thread when I replied to this one. That's why I mentioned the Mares BCD.
Sorry about the confusion.

-Mitch

Hi elZub,

I was thinking about another thread when I replied to this one. That's why I mentioned the Mares BCD.
Sorry about the confusion.

-Mitch
no worries!
the funny things is that last weeks i tried it in my lds :)

about disconnetting releases, i could do something like this: View attachment 189488
You certainly do not need so many D-rings on your chest. One on each side is enough. As for the quick release? If you do not adjust the harness too tight, you won't need it. The crotch strap will hold everything down neat and tidy.
BTW, I never found the storage pack any use and discard it in no time at all.

Good luck to your professional career in scuba diving.

elZub,

BCD or BP/W ... I own both, do my personal diving primarily with the BP/W, teach OW, Rescue and DM in BDC, AOW, Specialties in BP/W. Of course there are exceptions. By the time your skills are ready to go Pro it really doesn't matter too much what you wear, your attention should be on teaching and demonstrating skills and passing on knowledge. But if I had to choose only one style over the other it would be Jacket BCD. The reason for a BCD over a BP/W is not my personal preference or comfort but for the benefit of my students. Students, especially new ones, will watch everything you say and do, along with what you do not say and do not do. I did my training and certification thru PADI, BSAC and GUE, with the bulk thru PADI. There are other training Agencies that are equally just as good in my opinion. Most of my training was done in a BCD because this is what I first bought and owned. Later I purchased what is called a hybrid BC; a BP/W and instead of a single piece of webbing it utilized a harness system (with quick releases and snapping straps). Mine is the Dive Rite TransPlate with additional weight pockets on the belt. I enjoyed this BC system. I used it thru my PADI Rescue, Master Diver Challenge and most of my DM course. There where some drills in the DM course that I used a rental BCD, mainly for the ease of my fellow DM candidates, e.g. Equipment Exchange, Rescue #7 and the Demonstration of the 24 Skills. When I started to work as a DM & AI in a LDS I continued to use the Hybrid or a DIR configured BP/W. But when I made the final leap to Instructor I decided to upgrade my BDC. The LDS gave me a discount on gear (which many will for their staff) and I bought a higher quality BDC, ScubaPro GlideX to instruct and assist in. The ScubaPro fits me very well and enables me to demonstrate my skills at the "Instructor" quality level. I could still do these skills in a BP/W or Hybrid but I truly believe that the students perform better in their BCDs when I demonstrate the skills in mine.

As BP/W gain popularity in the Recreational Dive community, I have heard rumors (unsubstantiated information) that PADI might be looking at adding BP/W configured equipment to the Rescue Course...Dive 7. I have not asked nor heard anything from PADI so don't quote me on this without PADI's acknowledgement. I, however, am thinking of adding BP/W equipment (not replacing the BCD but adding the BP/W to the BCD) it to my rescue course. Just food for thought.

elZub right now if you already own a BCD or BP/W I would stick with that configuration and keep diving. There is no substitute for dive experience on the road to Dive Professional. Learn as much as you can, dive as much as you can afford and worry about the equipment when it is more appropriate to choose one method over another or even both. Your dive preferences will change over time, so just enjoy the trip.

Happy Bubbles,

~Oldbear~

hi dbailey,
what's your gear for open water?

one issue (i read) about becoming instructor with bp/w is:
don't use bp/w for your idc and IE.
why?

For open water, I use a back inflate BCD. Yes, it is a shop brand. I have also owned a BP/W and Jacket BCD. I liked my BP/W, but it didn't work for teaching open water. On the same day, I can go from 70 F water on the shallow side (wetsuit) to 46 F water on the deep side (drysuit). Dealing with the harness change was a hassle.

For the IDC and IE, there will be other candidates that are not familiar with the BP/W. During my IDC, there was one candidate in a BP/W and the course director basically never made him be a victim for any of the rescue scenarios (i.e. very difficult to get someone out of the BP/W without cutting the webbing). For the IE, he and I bought some additional webbing. If he was selected to be the victim during the rescue evaluation, I would volunteer as the rescuer and cut him out of his rig. In the end he was never selected to be a victim.

I;d never knowingly enter open water wearing a BCD as ive yet to find one that fits me, is comfortable, doesn't squeeze me and isn't cluttered. However, think to yourself a bit about demoing, especially in confined water.

How can you do a monkey-see, monkey-do demo to a student on something like BCD removal if your wing harness has no releases or clips and theirs has a ton? Weight belt remove/replace the same. Generally i use a battered BCD for confined water then my wing and long hose for open water.

i hope in 12 months to become a padi instructor, do you think i'm putting too much rush on it?

Yes...in 3 years of diving your profile says you have done less than 49 dives.Teaching has a lot to do with the teachers experience how can you teach if you aren't experienced?

I know I am going to flack for this from the zero to hero crowd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom