Dive boat operators face charges of illegally feeding sharks in state waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had contact with FWC, and already I don't like them :)

I've had limited interaction with them but one was definitely good..... I was on a charter in Palm Beach County and some non-local diver was taking short lobsters (two if I recall) and one undersized fish. I heard the captain tell him to toss the bugs back in but the cocky sob refused. A couple of local divers encouraged him to do the same: guy didn't listen. When we got back to the dock, who was there to greet us? An FWC officer: he nailed that dope and you couldn't have found a boat filled with happier local divers. I assume the captain, DM or one of the divers called the FWC on the way back in but I don't know for sure. Anyway, I was pleased to see that cocky jerk nailed by the FWC.

I've had limited interaction with them but one was definitely good..... I was on a charter in Palm Beach County and some non-local diver was taking short lobsters (two if I recall) and one undersized fish. I heard the captain tell him to toss the bugs back in but the cocky sob refused. A couple of local divers encouraged him to do the same: guy didn't listen. When we got back to the dock, who was there to greet us? An FWC officer: he nailed that dope and you couldn't have found a boat filled with happier local divers. I assume the captain, DM or one of the divers called the FWC on the way back in but I don't know for sure. Anyway, I was pleased to see that cocky jerk nailed by the FWC.

Well, not sure I would say "definitely good" based on that story. On that day he was just doing his job. On another day he could have been the guy that Wookie was talking about. I have to think that all FWC officers would cite a diver for taking short lobsters, as they should. The issue is the ones that abuse their authority.

We get boarded,we get searched and our fish get used for fisheries research in FL and SC.I can't applaud the FWC,SCDNR and USCG officers enough for the politeness we have been shown.Not once in over 20 years have I had a rude one nor had any indication of unprovoked hostility.

Just to clear the air,not all LEOs are angels of course but I get the same treatment I give normally.

You must be giving off some interesting vibrations or something, because that is counter to everything I have heard and read. Can you cite a single instance in which a shark has eaten someone? I am not talking about taking a bite and not returning--I am talking about having a meal.

Just before I arrived in Maui a few years ago, a snorkeler was bitten on the thigh by a tiger shark, who took out a big piece of the thigh. The shark left, and the other snorkelers took the victim to shore and successfully applied first aid measures. While they were doing that, the chunk of thigh that had been bitten off floated in to shore. The shark had spit it out.

My vibratons are shot and bleeding fish, sharks around spearing is not uncommon by any strech but the multiple aggresive passes and following people to the boat is getting close to that line. When humans and animals get around that line the animals normally lose.

Did you not realize i was spearfishing?

Missing sailor found inside shark off Jaws beach | World news | The Guardian

Great White Shark Fatalities Australia | Jawshark.com

What was the name of that navy ship that sank at the end of ww2 with all the dudes in the water for days? Indianapolis maybe? Something like 2 dozen guys we're killed floating in the water...

My vibratons are shot and bleeding fish, sharks around spearing is not uncommon by any strech but the multiple aggresive passes and following people to the boat is getting close to that line. When humans and animals get around that line the animals normally lose.

Did you not realize i was spearfishing?

Missing sailor found inside shark off Jaws beach | World news | The Guardian

Great White Shark Fatalities Australia | Jawshark.com

What was the name of that navy ship that sank at the end of ww2 with all the dudes in the water for days? Indianapolis maybe? Something like 2 dozen guys we're killed floating in the water...

John, the problem I have with following your arguments against feeding is that you cite aggressive behavior you've seen while spearfishing in on the Gulf Coast, where no shark feeding dives take place, and you cite Florida's shark attack statistics, which are not linked by species or geography to shark feeding dives.

We do realize you are spearfishing. Do you realize that these are marine predators that, for hundreds of millions of years, have survived via seeking out and preying/scavenging upon dead, dying, or injured animals? I am not in the least bit surprised that they might get feisty with you from time to time. In the case of a sizable individual like a big bull shark, he may very well think he can intimidate you into dropping the chalupa and running, because that's what they'll do to each other in a natural feeding situation - biggest and most aggressive individual has first dibs.

Regarding your mention of the USS Indianapolis (CA-35) sinking in July 1945, that's not an uncommon example - and the death toll was far higher; out of an estimated 880 men who survived the sinking just 321 survivors were rescued after almost 90 hours adrift in open water. The bulk of those were probably casualties of exposure, saltwater poisoning, and dehydration; the sharks took the bodies and more than a few still-living sailors. Again, not a surprise. Those guys were crippled prey floating on the surface - something a shark would not pass up, especially far out to sea where the food options are limited. The Indianapolis is the most famous case, but a lot of ship sinkings in WWII had the same result.

EDIT: Since the topic has been raised here and elsewhere, I'm running a few Google Scholar searches on studies involving shark feeding tourism. Unfortunately, a lot of those are locked behind journal paywalls (if there's one aspect where I'll loudly criticize the field, it's the money mill that's the publishing industry). I have access to abstracts (the short summary version of the paper) and a few full papers through open-access publications such as PLOS One. I'll try and take some time this week to read and analyze them, and might see if some of my friends over at the University of Miami's marine science research campus can access other papers using UM's journal subscriptions.

Last edited:

i wasn't on that trip, but I sure heard about. Man, the balls on that guy.
I've never had a bad time with FWC except when I was a kid and they were "Marine Patrol". I thought the officer was busting my balls throwing bugs in his boat. I went off on him. Turned out my "friends" with no ice in their fish box, put a bunch of shorts in mine.
Frank and Pete. I am a conch by injection. My wife and inlaws are from there. There is an attitude among the natives that they are entitled to whatever bounties they poach from the water. Out of season, shorts, lights, jewfish, conch etc. They trade contraband like currency. "Cabbage Hade, I need help with a roof on my house." "What in the freeza Bubba?" "No permits ok?" "Hell no. That code enforcement like FWC"
Dang revenuers. I don't blame some of the officers if they have a little attitude.

Thanks, that was one of the search results that came up behind a paywall for me. I just finished the first read-through; I'm going to go through it a few times and compare it with the other full-length papers I find before posting my take on it. The list of other cited feeding studies also helps.

Would love to get a look at anything else you find, those studies on the impact of cage diving and surface chumming are relevant too.

The only reason i inject the gulf is because I have "fins in the water" experience with sharks on a regular basis, I would be willing to bet money spearfishers see more suits *cough* closer to their natural behavior *cough* than anyone. With repeated first hand encounters one can make a judgment and i have, they know what a speargun is, they know where the most heavily fished areas are, they know where people normally clean fish and they know to sit under boats and wait for tarpon. I, with my two eyes and not something i read on the internet have seen them learn, they know how my eyes work and will stay just out of view until passing feet away from your head. The other poster nailed it, they are trying to intimidate me into giving up the fish like some DUMB ASS but i don't do that, i poke sharks in the head. EVERYONE in spearfishing knows not to give up fish to sharks, its like rule 3 after don't kill needlessly and don't die!!

When you feed them they turn up, everyone knows this, its the main difference between provoked and unprovoked attacks. When some poor idiot gets bit in half during a shark dive do they call it provoked or unprovoked???? Hummmmm.

Funny you should mention that. We see very few sharks in the Tortugas Ecological Reserve. We have a ton of fish. We see maybe one reef or lemon in a day. On Riley's hump we may see a bull or a white, though a small one.

The Ultimate Getaway sees a ton of sharks. I wonder what the difference could be.... Hmmmmm.... We dive within a mile or two of each other.... We carry about the same number of passengers.... we're both a hundred feet long..... I don't know, can anyone think of any other reason? They don't chum...
Different acoustic signatures. Your hull, engines, props, depth finder? (sonar?) maybe the bilge pump, something is possibly making sounds they don't like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom