tizip leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been diving a Bare Next Gen with a Tizip for almost 2yrs now, never had a leak from the zipper. Ive had a reverse pressure leak from the dump valve do to too much squeeze and a damp right leg due to a leaking pee-valve i need to glue, but no leaks from the TiZip.

I just wax the zipper once every dozen dives and its fine.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a Santi suit with a tizip. The zip is from beginning of march 2012. When I forget to use the silicone grease, I get wet, the suit totally floods. Other dives say we never grease and never problems.
Sometimes I grease and get still wet. Then a next dive I am dry.
The problem is, I don't know when the zip leaks and when not. Without grease it leaks 100% of the time. With grease it leaks just sometimes. But I do technical diving, so I need to trust the suit.
What can I do to prevent leaking? If you test it, then you don't find a leak.

Hi Taliena,

Have a look closely along the plastic teeth, does it look like its cracking or delaminating? In the U.S.A. we have only had 3 instances like this. We replaced the Zippers under warranty at no cost to the consumer. I'm sure that if your zipper is delaminating, SANTI will replace it under warranty.

These TiZip zippers are on the rental dry suits at the shop I use because they work better than the metal ones. They have also become a favourite of local commercial divers.

No delaminating. It looks like new. I know from delaminating, but I am carefull with my diveequipment.

I called the shop where i bought the suit. They said we must see it and test it. Yes of course. We discussed the options what it could be, but they said we must see it. They had 1 customer that opened the zip occasionally with putting the weightbelt or harnass on. So they said, maybe you do that too? I said, I don't know. I said, I will dive this weekend and if wet then I will sent it to you. Friday I did a leaktest again with a friend, nothing found. So today I dived with a lot of grease on the docking end and fixed the runner with ductape on the suit. checked all again after putting weightbelt and harnass on, did 2 dives. One of 30 m and 1 of 50m. After the dive there was in both cases some moisture at the docking end, but that where a 10 drops. It was outside a 12 degrees and I weared a 500 grams undersuit, so that can be condensation. It was not wet like the other dives, just that 10 drops. So I will do same next dive again and hope to be dry again.

Man, I just haven't had anywhere near that much trouble with mine, but I do have an outer zipper. I have had two or three dives where I got in the water and noted a leak at the docking end. In each case, just having a buddy tug on the zipper pull stopped the leak and allowed me to dive without further ingress of water.

I called the shop where i bought the suit. They said we must see it and test it. Yes of course. We discussed the options what it could be, but they said we must see it. They had 1 customer that opened the zip occasionally with putting the weightbelt or harnass on. So they said, maybe you do that too? I said, I don't know. I said, I will dive this weekend and if wet then I will sent it to you. Friday I did a leaktest again with a friend, nothing found. So today I dived with a lot of grease on the docking end and fixed the runner with ductape on the suit. checked all again after putting weightbelt and harnass on, did 2 dives. One of 30 m and 1 of 50m. After the dive there was in both cases some moisture at the docking end, but that where a 10 drops. It was outside a 12 degrees and I weared a 500 grams undersuit, so that can be condensation. It was not wet like the other dives, just that 10 drops. So I will do same next dive again and hope to be dry again.

Six weeks on, any developments/solutions? Cheers.

Yes, my suit is tested and leaks at docking end. Suit will be sent to Poland for a new zip, under warranty, without costs. Shop said too, it looks like new, but it is leaking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom