Grand Cayman Vacation in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRedDiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all!

i am going on a family vacation to grand cayman this march. It will be my family's first international trip and my first Caribbean dive experience. I will be doing 3 to 4 days of diving with Amabassador divers and was wondering if anyone had any helpful advice i,e does and donts of traveling and diving in grand cayman?

You picked one of the better operators IMO. Jason (owner) is one of the people responsible for idiveglobal.com - see where you'll be diving.

Don't go downtown when you see all the cruise ships in the harbor...LOL.

georgetowngrandcayman.jpg

You can check it here: http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php

Food prices are somewhat of a shock also...this is a little commercial but there's some good options listed: http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/

Last edited:
Don't forget Eden Rock and my favorite site, devils grotto! If you don't get there with your operator, you need to do it as a shore dive.

Thanks for the great advice! Just booked five days of boat diving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added February 8th, 2014 at 03:36 PM ----------

Steve I do have a question about Jason's operation. I am traveling with my "out of shape" 64 year old mother and father. Would a trip to stingray city be calm enough for them? Also how is entry/exit from the boat ? I've already spoke with Chip from ambassador divers, but wanted first hand impressions concerning my folks snorkeling

It's pretty calm in the Sound generally. That area is just on the edge of the Sound to the north. I haven't dove SRC with Ambassador but we had snorkelers on our dive trip. It's 14' deep so they will have to be able to float either assisted or unassisted and can also snorkel down to engage the Stingrays - the kids on our boat did. Both of Ambassadors boats have swim steps and dive ladders. http://ambassadordivers.com/about-us/our-boats.html

You might take them to SandBar instead. It's 4' deep there and some of the snorkel boats put down ladders that extend a couple feet into the water. Most people stand on the bottom and interact with the rays. In some ways it's actually a better time - though a lot more crowded when the cruise tours are there.

SRC: (courtesy of Divetech)
SRCandkids2.jpg

SandBar:
stingray-city-sandbar.jpg
^Just part^ of the flotilla that shows up there daily...this is more typical:
Stingray%u00252BCity%u00252BCayman%u00252BIsland.jpg

If this is your first trip to the Caymans, you might want to download the SpotCayman app for your phone. Lots of great info. I use it all the time.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm sure it will be a great time!

I cannot wait to get there! It will be nice to leave Ohio's winter behind!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom