What is the Shallowest Depth at which You Notice Narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may not really notice it that much at all.
Sometimes the confirmation that you were affected might come post dive.

I have noticed very sloppy writing in my wet notes after the dive; yet I didn't "feel" narcosis during the dive itself.

You may not really notice it that much at all.
Sometimes the confirmation that you were affected might come post dive.

I have noticed very sloppy writing in my wet notes after the dive; yet I didn't "feel" narcosis during the dive itself.

That's why I specifically mentioned writing as one of the tests. It's an excellent one.

I didn't catch it. Sorry.

But, yes....I agree with you. It is a good way to get a indicator of the effects.

I've done some really stupid things between 90 and 100 feet. But I don't feel any different. That's why I rarely go down there without helium, and never in a cave any more.

I'm equal oportunity....I somehow manage to do stupid things at every depth. :D

If diving air or nitrox on the way down I start feeling it around 50ft coming back up I start feeling it clearing up around 40 ft.
This is fairly consistent for me in both tropics and cold water and is not related to ambient light or any other effects related to depth as the feeling shifts to around 80-90 ft when diving 18/45 on the same sites

I am one who feels narcosis distinctly. But it varies, possibly depending on how much diving I have been doing. I can make an analogy to drinking: If I haven't had any alcohol in weeks, I distinctly feel a sensation with even that very first beer or glass of wine. But during periods when I've had, say, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner every night for a month, the effect of the day's first glass of beer or wine is almost unnoticeable. I'm mainly a vacation diver, and if it's been a while since I've been diving I start to perceive things as surreal or dulled as early as 80 or 90 feet, and it really picks up around 100 feet. Quite often during the first few days of week-long dive vacations I've had to signal to my dive buddy (wife) around 100 feet that I feel narced and am going to ascend a bit. But when I have the opportunity to dive regularly over an extended period, I become more tolerant. A few years ago when I had the opportunity to dive almost every day for over a month, the occasional dive that bottomed out at 130+ feet did not make me feel especially narced--at least I did not note that in my log, which I probably would have done. It seems that the more I dive, the more I grow tolerant of the narcosis and notice it less and less (though I am no doubt impaired), just as the more I drink the more I might grow tolerant of alcohol and notice less and less how impaired I am.

Around 73ft I think I can sometimes perceive a very slight narc. It becomes more noticeable around 86ft. At 91ft it's definitely noticeable (especially if I have any extra CO2 from current diving or exertion).

I switched from 32% Nitrox to 18/45% helium mix at 100ft once (for a few minutes) as an experiment. The difference in awareness on the two gasses left a lasting impression, which keeps me above 100 ft now. Since that experiment I made the decision that I wouldn't dive deeper without helium mix.

Back
Top Bottom