Diving safely without a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temps in Cozumel this week are 81 degrees.....my son is diving in shorts and a rashguard with no problems.

I, of course, am toasty warm in my 5mil full suit :D

I live in a part of the world where no immersion suit means hypothermia quickly.

However, long before I ever learned how do dive, I have always wanted a picture of myself in my swimsuit and dive gear.

I know there are lots of places that have warm water, however, with jellies and coral at most of them, not wearing some sort of protection could cause problems.

So, besides a swimming pool, where could I dive without having a wetsuit or more on, yet have beautiful background?

You mean like this:

T2eC16FykE9s7twBMBSGhk06Ez60_35_zps3d18ee18.jpg

LloydBridges-1_zps0cf8d6f2.jpg

547f_1_sbl.jpg

1182769300_0.jpg

1167668136_0.jpg

male53oct_1-1.jpg

1170620043_0.jpg

People nowadays over complicate everything. Just jump in, get wet.

First off, you are not supposed to touch the coral and, secondly, jelly fish are not always present. I prefer diving with a rash guard and some .5mm neoprene shorts. I do not wear bloomers or swimming dresses (aka boardies, board shorts). If I need a little extra warmth I will throw on a neoprene vest.

Of course, despite my hate of wet suits, once the water temp gets below about 80, time to suit up at least in a shorty and around 76 I might want my 5mm and below 70 my semi dry and in the 50s and 60s, my drysuit.

Here in Coz a few weeks ago, water temp on my computer was 82 to 84 but it was an off and on overcast day so I was a little cool and tossed on my thin neoprene hooded top and was a toasty as could be. I love the water, I love being wet and feeling the water against my skin.

IMG_20131113_161244_1__zpsc8c36982-1.jpg

Later that day and several time while down there, had to do my swim workout, swam about a mile along the coast which was super fun. I just wore just my swimsuit and swimming goggles. But, yes, if jellies are an issue and in particular an issue with you then you will need a lycra full suit or a tropical wetsuit, or like many divers, deal with it. I can usually find a hole in jellie swarms, but yes, I get stung, and for the most part, I do not get wound up over it.

Vandenburg, shorts and rashguard:

IMG_1979.jpg

Cayman and rashguard and shorts:

IMG_0107-1_edited-2.jpg

In the Keys in the summer, it is like a bathtub, it is common practice to just jump in with nothing but a swimsuit. You do not need your SCUBA Steve super hero uniform.

But, in some places, if there are jellies that are truly dangerous, yes, you will need appropriate protection.

N

Last edited:
I dove for ten years in the Marianas without a wetsuit or BC. I will admit over that much time I had been stung by man o war once or twice but never considered it a problem as far as not having protection. Shorts and a T shirt are as good as a shorty. Adventure-Ocean

I spent a week in Roatan in Sept. and never put on a wetsuit or skin, only shorts and a tshirt, and was fine UNTIL the one night dive. My arms got ate alive by jellies on the night dive. Even my friends wearing wetsuits got stung on their faces and hands on that night dive. You never know. I loved the freedom but wish I had some sleeves on that one dive. Strangely enough, I didn't have a sting one on my legs. It's the luck of the draw.

Come late July / early August your local fresh water should be comfortable for the first 20 feet or so.

I agree with above. If you're paranoid of coral or jellyfish and don't mind doing without some pretty coral and tropical fish you can dive most of the fresh water springs in Florida. They are 72 degrees year around, a bit cool but you get used to it enough to spend 45 min. to 1 hr. in the water.

DFB

South Florida 90% of my dives are shorts and tshirt. Sometimes there are jellies. avoid them or get a little sting not that big of a deal with moon jellies. I will take the maybe get a little sting to be more comfortable. If they are thick I will add a lavacore top.

I do wear gloves in case I need to drop a finger to adjust buoyancy. That is very rare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom