Broken Strap on my Tusa Imprex Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bopper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I love my Tusa BCD. Specifically, I love the way a tank feels when it's on my back (Independent Harness System). Unfortunately my shoulder strap broke right where it connects to the inner part of the BCD on the other side of the weight pockets. Is there a fix for this? Or is this BCD toast? Please advise. Thanks!

SmallerJPG.jpg

If Tusa won't fix it, try taking it to a sail-maker or marine upholstery shop.....They have the heavy duty sewing machines and are used to working w/heavy canvases/materials......I have a shop near me that has done some great custom work on my gear......

Hi Bopper,

We are sorry to hear about your BC. Unfortunately TUSA is not able to fix a BC strap once it has ripped off.

A shoe repair shop can do it too. It looks like they would have to open the slit where it once attached and sew in a re-enforcement inside the current cover and then sew the strap to that. It looks like a cheap way to attach a strap, especially since it has to carry the tanks and weight, pretty much a bonehead design.

A shoe repair shop can do it too. It looks like they would have to open the slit where it once attached and sew in a re-enforcement inside the current cover and then sew the strap to that. It looks like a cheap way to attach a strap, especially since it has to carry the tanks and weight, pretty much a bonehead design.

Yes, I agree. Bonehead design. To expect that much weight to be supported by such little sewn surface area...what were they thinking?:confused: And that section of Cordura that it has torn away from is loose, not attached to the backing behind it. This can only make the possibility of a tear even greater. Even if the sewn surface area was bigger the same thing might have happened.

But overall the design of these BCDs, IMO, is very good. The integrated weight pockets feel cheap, but they work great. And the Independent Harness Design is second to none compared to other BCDs of similar design. I've owned over 20 BCDs (I buy and sell a TON of scuba stuff on craigslist) and these were my favorite. Hopefully TUSA takes note of their "minor" design flaws that turn an otherwise great BCD into an unuseable one.

Hi Bopper,

We are sorry to hear about your BC. Unfortunately TUSA is not able to fix a BC strap once it has ripped off.

Wow!!!!

I cannot imagine a manufacturer not wanting to get that BC from you and fixing it ASAP: imagine the "good Press". But if this happens so often that they cannot afford to make such an offer, i'd be wary of their gear.

All that said, did you try the "nuclear option"? That would be to write a nice, positive letter to the CEO telling him about the problem and asking if you could send it back for repair. You might be amazed at how much action you will get!

joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom