Tips, Tips, Tips?..? How much and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LWB yep i know what you mean grace bay is fantastic!!!!! (on the right day!!!) i love catherdral piranha cove turn right but yes the others are better !!!

The reason I ask is, I did a 2 tank trip on Provo:D today, $130

:shocked2:

I did a 2 dive trip from Eyemouth yesterday, £40 (~$60). We don't tip charter boat skippers or crew in the UK.

$10 per tank +/- depending on service. $5 per tank seems outdated to me.

---------- Post added October 27th, 2013 at 04:07 PM ----------

:shocked2:

I did a 2 dive trip from Eyemouth yesterday, £40 (~$60). We don't tip charter boat skippers or crew in the UK.

They must get paid for their work, as it should be. Generally unlike the US, especially for DMs

Yes, many threads on this topic exist. All I'll say is that the idea of tipping an instructor for teaching a course blows my mind.

Yes, many threads on this topic exist. All I'll say is that the idea of tipping an instructor for teaching a course blows my mind.

Hmm... I can see where space travel, splitting the atom, or reattachment of someone's severed arm blowing your mind. But tipping an instructor? I mean, I can see disagreeing with it, not understanding it, even ridiculing it. But you must really have been exposed to very little of significance in your life for your mind to actually be "blown" by the concept.

Hi RJP,

Do you get paid for your DM activities or is your compensation free diving and tips?

Best, Craig

As has been pointed out previously. Tipping is dependent on where in the world you are.

On another note, don't be a tight ass. If in the correct place, tip those people, they are trying to make a living.

As for the instructor, I took the DM and the Instructor a bottle of my homemade wine, they were appreciative, oh and I bought their lunch one day too.

Hmm... I can see where space travel, splitting the atom, or reattachment of someone's severed arm blowing your mind. But tipping an instructor? I mean, I can see disagreeing with it, not understanding it, even ridiculing it. But you must really have been exposed to very little of significance in your life for your mind to actually be "blown" by the concept.

Snarky much?

Hi RJP,

Do you get paid for your DM activities or is your compensation free diving and tips?

Best, Craig

When I DM for the local shop working with students/classes, I volunteer my time. I received a tip once, from an OW student. I DM for classes because I love working with students. I do get my tank fills at the shop.

When I crew on the boat (not a DM role, per se) I do get to "dive for free" after waking up at 4am, driving 70mi to the boat, getting it ready, helping 16 divers load multiple sets of doubles, stages, boxes, and bags, hump out to the wreck, tie in, help passengers get geared up, getting them into the water, unclogging the head, cleaning up the barf, getting the passengers back on the boat, etc.

After my "free dive" I get to help the passengers gear up for their second dive, get them back in the water, clean up some more barf, maybe unclog the head again, get the passengers back on the boat, out of their gear etc. If I'm really lucky I get to do a second "free dive" which is usually a bounce to ~100-130ft to untie from the wreck, before humping it back to the dock, where I get to help 16 passengers unload multiple sets of doubles, stages, boxes, bags, etc. Then I get to clean the boat.

Every once in a while I get to do a free "rescue dive" and of course there's always the potential for a free "body recovery dive" out here in the NE.

Not sure I consider any of those "free" dives to be any sort of compensation.

The only compensation crew on boats here in NJ get are the tips that our passengers are kind enough to extend to us. More important, though, is the smile, heartfelt handshake, and "thanks for making today fun... we'll be back for sure" that we get from 99.99% of the people who dive with us.

---------- Post added October 27th, 2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

Snarky much?

Snarky? Moi?

:d

When I DM for the local shop working with students/classes, I volunteer my time. I received a tip once, from an OW student. I DM for classes because I love working with students. I do get my tank fills at the shop.

When I crew on the boat (not a DM role, per se) I do get to "dive for free" after waking up at 4am, driving 70mi to the boat, getting it ready, helping 16 divers load multiple sets of doubles, stages, boxes, and bags, hump out to the wreck, tie in, help passengers get geared up, getting them into the water, unclogging the head, cleaning up the barf, getting the passengers back on the boat, etc.

After my "free dive" I get to help the passengers gear up for their second dive, get them back in the water, clean up some more barf, maybe unclog the head again, get the passengers back on the boat, out of their gear etc. If I'm really lucky I get to do a second "free dive" which is usually a bounce to ~100-130ft to untie from the wreck, before humping it back to the dock, where I get to help 16 passengers unload multiple sets of doubles, stages, boxes, bags, etc. Then I get to clean the boat.

Every once in a while I get to do a free "rescue dive" and of course there's always the potential for a free "body recovery dive" out here in the NE.

Not sure I consider any of those "free" dives to be any sort of compensation.

The only compensation crew on boats here in NJ get are the tips that our passengers are kind enough to extend to us. More important, though, is the smile, heartfelt handshake, and "thanks for making today fun... we'll be back for sure" that we get from 99.99% of the people who dive with us.

---------- Post added October 27th, 2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

Snarky? Moi?

:d

My point exactly, you deserve my tip and I should not be stingy. I appreciate all you do to make my dive an enjoyable experience. Thank you very much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom