Kalinaun resort in North Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going next month -from the 15th November to the 24th at the Kalinaun Resort. It is located on the mainland but not on the Manado sicde (for those who know the area). It is on the east side, a little north of Lembeh.
I have been to North Sulawesi several times (Bunaken, Bangka and Lembeh) and I found out about this resort which allows to go easily both to Bangka and Lembeh. As I can't decide what I like best, between coral dives and muck dives, it seems to be a good place.

Now... Anyone planning to go there in November? Or anyone has already been there? In this case, I would be interested in having your feedback.

Thanks a lot

I suppose it's not very far from where Rob Sinke's first lodge was located ten years ago, is it?

I can tell you nothing about this resort, but I can say that I consider the Pulisan dive sites, just a few minutes north of your location, to be excellent, IMHO. These are reef/wall/slope sites, coral and no muck. They're often overlooked because they are neither Lembeh nor Bangka, but on our next trip back to that area, I'm going to make it a point to dive them again.

Hi Malene,

Congratulations for finding North Sulawesi best kept secret :blinking: In 2009 I stayed at Gangga Island, Kungkungan and Siladen Resort. There I had heard about Kalinaun and made a note in my logbook. So when I went back to North Sulawesi this summerI was looking for a place which wasn't as expensive as the other places and had a good location. That's where my wife and I stayed. Perfect location for Bangka and Lembeh. The best speed boats in the area. I think it is only about 15-20 min. to Bangka and also only 15 min. to Lembeh. Nice Bungalows with aircon (not too strong and perfectly situated away from the bed) A large table with good (!) light for camera equipment and your own rinsing place in the bathroom for your camera equipment. Only four bungalows and when I was there past July we were the only guests. So yes, I had my own speed boat for diving - just me and the dive guide. So look forward to staying there. We had a wonderful time. The only problem might be the language. Roberto and his brother who run this place are Italians and don't really speak English very well, but we managed. Olivia - Roberto's wife and my dive guide was also great. The first Indonesian woman dive guide I met. She new all the nudibrancs Latin names right after we surfaced from the dives. It is a family run business and they make all the food themselves. Their own bread etc. Make sure to try their Bruscetta.
Ok.. enough said. And no I am not affiliated with them in any way. I just had a great time there and they don' work with travel agents. Therefore they aren't so well known.

Greetings from Germany!

I suppose it's not very far from where Rob Sinke's first lodge was located ten years ago, is it?

You mean from your "friend" Rob Sinke? :wink: I don't know and will try to find out. But as Highdesert wrote, it is not far from Pulisan.

---------- Post added October 14th, 2013 at 03:57 PM ----------

Thanks a lot Musi. It is great (and re-assuring) to hear such a great feedback.
About the language, I will add to my Indonesian phrase book an Italian one...

Hi Malene,

Congratulations for finding North Sulawesi best kept secret :blinking: In 2009 I stayed at Gangga Island, Kungkungan and Siladen Resort. There I had heard about Kalinaun and made a note in my logbook. So when I went back to North Sulawesi this summerI was looking for a place which wasn't as expensive as the other places and had a good location. That's where my wife and I stayed. Perfect location for Bangka and Lembeh. The best speed boats in the area. I think it is only about 15-20 min. to Bangka and also only 15 min. to Lembeh. Nice Bungalows with aircon (not too strong and perfectly situated away from the bed) A large table with good (!) light for camera equipment and your own rinsing place in the bathroom for your camera equipment. Only four bungalows and when I was there past July we were the only guests. So yes, I had my own speed boat for diving - just me and the dive guide. So look forward to staying there. We had a wonderful time. The only problem might be the language. Roberto and his brother who run this place are Italians and don't really speak English very well, but we managed. Olivia - Roberto's wife and my dive guide was also great. The first Indonesian woman dive guide I met. She new all the nudibrancs Latin names right after we surfaced from the dives. It is a family run business and they make all the food themselves. Their own bread etc. Make sure to try their Bruscetta.
Ok.. enough said. And no I am not affiliated with them in any way. I just had a great time there and they don' work with travel agents. Therefore they aren't so well known.

Greetings from Germany!

J'y vais le mois prochain, du 15 au 24 novembre, au Kalinaun Resort. Il est situé sur le continent mais pas sur le côté de Manado (pour ceux qui connaissent la région). C'est du côté est, un peu au nord de Lembeh.
Je suis allé plusieurs fois au nord de Sulawesi (Bunaken, Bangka et Lembeh) et j'ai découvert ce resort qui permet d'aller facilement aussi bien à Bangka qu'à Lembeh. Comme je n'arrive pas à décider ce que je préfère, entre les plongées coralliennes et les plongées muck, cela semble être un bon endroit.

Maintenant... Quelqu'un prévoit-il d'y aller en novembre ? Ou quelqu'un y est déjà allé ? Dans ce cas, je serais intéressé d'avoir votre avis.

Merci beaucoup
Bonjour,

On va s'y croiser ...on y est du 08 au 16/11; un couple d'amis y a sejourné en Aout 2023 et a beaucoup apprecié en particulier l'ambiance et la nourriture .

Bonjour,

On va s'y croiser ...on y est du 08 au 16/11; un couple d'amis y a sejourné en Aout 2023 et a beaucoup apprecié en particulier l'ambiance et la nourriture .
Time travel...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom