Nearly killed by dynamite fishermen whilst on technical dive, Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Scubaboard ToS does not condone nor allow discussions that encourage threats, violence, or illegal activities.
Thread sanitized. This is a reminder to the posters that further discussion of this nature will lead to permanent bans without further warning.

Sorry bout that...my tongue and cheek humor did not play well and I did not think it through.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Scubaboard ToS does not condone nor allow discussions that encourage threats, violence, or illegal activities.
Thread sanitized. This is a reminder to the posters that further discussion of this nature will lead to permanent bans without further warning.

Apologies, I hadn't realized self-defense was/had become illegal in the Philippines. Jokes about limpet mines aside, if someone pulled up at a mooring and prepared to do some dynamite fishing while I had divers in the water, I would feel legally comfortable warning them they'd be shot if they tried to drop a charge nearby and following through if they didn't listen. The standard in the US is (basically, as it varies in application state to state) reasonable fear of death or serious bodily injury to self or another--what DD describes more than qualifies. Of course, if you haven't got so much as a bb gun in a Pelican case onboard, your crew can't exactly do that.

In most parts of the US, you'd call the authorities afterwards and let them sort it out from there. If you're in a country that has a marginal legal system and you cannot reasonably be assured you won't be lynched by the dynamite fishing guy's pals as soon as you call it in, I think there's a lot of room for debate as to the correct course of action.

Many years ago they had a dynamite fishing problem in a popular dive site in the Philippines, most of the Filipino old timers know what happened and why they don't have a problem anymore. If you are interested I can share with you the story I heard by PM. There are ways to discourage this from happening. Law enforcement doesn't have the funds to do anything.

Sucks. Maybe some international agency could help?

Wow, I live and dive the Philippines much of the year. I thought the had curtailed dynamite fishing here, especially in dive areas. Thanks for the wake-up call to check with locals on what areas are known fishing grounds and what areas to avoid.

Glad no one was hurt.

Which shop were you diving with? What did your boat crew do?

It's More Explosive In The Philippines!

Enjoyed a 54m dive on the Sakura Maru this morning. Got joined by some local dynamite fishermen, who proceeded to depth charge the technical dive team on the wreck for the end phase of the dive and entire deco ascent. Luckily, nobody died... they could have!

Surfaced from the dive and there were three local fishing boats clustered around our shot-line/buoy...

I thought my teeth were gonna shake loose.... was like a big man full force punching in the chest and ears..

We've had them not quite on the shot line but within 100m of divers when in malapascua. I don't actually recall a single dive where i didnt see or feel dynamite fishing of some sort.

As said above, in a country rife with corruption and no real law enforcement you have to be very careful raising issues unless you want to get badly beaten or shot.

Back
Top Bottom