Im 6'7 (two meters) Anything I need to know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask if the have any AL100 in place of the standard AL80. If you have the bulk to go with the height, you will likely use air faster than others and shorter dives. The extra height of the tank will not be an issue for someone your height.

One thing many tall divers are never told is buoyancy control due to larger lungs....Because of larger lungs we tend to have to alter our breathing to avoid the ups/downs from the larger volume of air we inhale/exhale.....Learn to breathe shallower and exhale/inhale slower.........Hollis' F-1 XXL fins will fit a 15-16 size foot.....I'm a 14 and their XL's fits me w/boots ( they're the only fins I know of, that big )........If your feet are smaller, you won't have a problem w/other brands........Wet suits, have custom made or find two and take the arms/legs from one and have them sewn into the other to get the extra length........ If you're going to use a bp/w....go to Deepseasupply....They make SS bp's for tall divers....I use their xtra long, it fits well and the webbing can be adjusted to almost any size........They have wings for single and double tanks to go w/the bp........If you do go w/Deepseasupply, get their 'Pkg" deals, it'll save money........Good luck w/the class, hope you enjoy diving..........

A lot of good insight here, though I would not advise buying a bunch of equipment before at least exploring the equipment rental options of your dive school.

For student divers here in Thailand, the shops all supply whole sets of rental equipment. We all provide shorty wetsuits and full-foot fins. It's true that finding even shorties and fins to fit someone your size is going to take some advance planning, and even if your dive school does find these items, you will have huge problems getting rentals after your course when you want to do fun diving at other places. So it makes sense for you to own certain equipment once you know what you need. For the BCD, it will depend mainly on how broad you are in the torso whether the XXL school/rental BCDs that are available will fit. I think there's a better chance of that working out easily than finding a wetsuit that won't give you an agonisingly uncomfortable wedgie. You could even dive in surfer shorts and a rash guard--many visitors and dive pros here find the water warm enough not to need a wetsuit (I wear a wetsuit, but I get chilled fairly easily).

We have a number of wetsuit tailors here who make very affordable custom-fitted wetsuits of many different styles. I once had a very tall diver who was a West Point faculty member, so also slender in the lower body and muscular in the upper body, who got a wetsuit with applique flames going up the sleeves and legs for fun since he was never ever able to get an off-the-rack wetsuit to fit him.

I can't believe that nobody is thinking about reminding him to duck for the doorways if he doesn't want a headache. Geez people, get serious will you.

awww nuts.....you ruined it for me. lol

I am 6' 9" tall (205 cm), and here are my experiences:

1. You don't fit on boats. When moving around on a boat that have an overhead rack or in the cabin, you will probably be bent over some. This does mess with your balance. Always have a hand for the boat. Watch your head when headed to the head.

2. Depending on your body proportions, it is possible to buy a wetsuit off the rack and have material added to the arms and legs. For me, a large wetsuit fits at the core, but not in terms of length at the arms and legs. An x-large wetsuit just created more of a void that will fill up with water (and get cold) at my lower back and arm pits. Edit: For me, there were factory alterations about $50.

3. You are taller. Your wetsuit will have more neoprene. You will need more weight just to sink the neoprene. Keep good records of the weight you dove. You will be questioned on every dive boat when they hand out the weights.

4. You are a bigger person which means you have bigger lungs. You will go through the fixed volume of air in the tank faster.

I am 6'7" it is rough.. the works part will probably still be the plain ride over there.

I use a Bare 3xl 3mil full wet suit... it was a bit tight at first but works fine now. I have a size 13 foot so most of the time fins are not a problem for me. I use a back plate wing like others mentioned. It works well for me but, I did get certified OW with a jacket style. I think it was a 3xl but could have been 4x. Either way you should be able to find one that fits...OK. You can work on best fit once you get home and research all possibilities.

Best of luck!

I talked to EVERY wetsuit manufacturer at DEMA; not one wetsuit sizing chart their even tried to lie enough to say it would fit.

I started researching custom made wetsuits. Almost ordered one. During the search process I found a shop in California that has 'off the rack' wetsuits up to around 206cm (per memory) but with only a 80cm waist !

Then I walked into a shop in Riviera Beach and discovered Fourth Element wetsuits. Mine goes to 197cm and it is very comfortable. The best part is you do not have to be obese to wear them.

I'm 5'6". The OP just made me very happy.

My DMC buddy, who I also did rescue training with, is 6'7" 240. He's a triathlete so well proportioned, not overweight at all.
He uses off the rack stuff, including a shorty and 5 ml, although I've noticed that his BC doesn't really fit properly and he usually wears his shorty. When he needs to wear a heavier wetsuit, he has the 5 ml, but has been reluctant to buy a 7ml or drysuit,yet, due to the hassles involved. I believe he'll need custom for those. However, he'll need to,soon,because of the fact that where we dive ( AZ/CA) really requires it.
He is looking at a BP/ wing but he's gotten by for 10 years, all the way up through DM with somewhat crappy,off the shelf gear.
Now, he is the type of person who makes do with what he has, drives an old, beat up car and waits until something is intolerable before its replaced. My point is, that OP is likely to be able to get through OW class before needing to buy everything, except perhaps his wetsuit or a 1ml skin.
BTW, I'm 5'1", somewhat disabled. It's quite a comical site, I'm sure, to see my buddy and I working together and testing on things such as rescue and especially the gear exchange.
I was never so proud of myself as when I beat him in the endurance swim and was then able to drag him ashore for the rescue portion of the DM test just after our swim test!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom