Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Edisto was over 12ft for Thurs and Fri so Phil and I hit the Cooper, will post some pics later. Lots of teeth but all but 3-4 were broken and of those 3-4 none were in great shape save maybe 1-2. Had some mechanical adventures both days but everyone made it back ok, will post some pics once I get unpacked.

What was the bottom like where you landed Jason? How was the current where you landed? What was the topography like? any hard pan? cliffs? drop offs? see any gators during the ride out and back?

The Edisto is as high as I have ever seen it. I heard the prediction was that it was going down. Funny... it just did not sound right and now I can see why. Will look forward to the photos Jason. I am waiting for my next excursion into the scuba fossiling world. I made an Edisto tribute video in the meantime

I ended up diving the cooper river both Thursday and Fri vis was better fri found a few whole teeth an a lot of frags, some were real heart breakers. Edisto is 2 1/2 ft above flood and still rising not going to chance it. Just have to wait til it resides to 6 ft or less.

What was the bottom like where you landed Jason? - A mix of sand and gravel.
How was the current where you landed? - It varied from moving pretty good (needed a spike to move along hardpan) to dead slack
What was the topography like? A mix over a couple of sites, mostly hardpan with gravel/sand streaks/islands, there were a couple cliffs and drop offs, some areas there was sand and gravel covering the whole bottom, the gravel sometimes got up to 2-3ft deep over the hardpan.
any hard pan? yes
cliffs? yes
drop offs? yes
see any gators during the ride out and back? - We did, we saw an 8-10fter right as we were about to splash on the Friday, it was moving out of the area though. There was a little 3-4fter that hung out and watched the boat for several hours.

We had some mechanical adventures, bearings went and it is a miracle we got the boat/trailer home in one piece one day and the next day we ended up getting towed back due to engine issues. Really fun trip, lots of rain, the picture below my wife took from the boat when I popped up to check on her and the boat, as you can see it was raining pretty hard.
Lot of teeth, mostly frags, a few heart-breakers and a couple small/med teeth in pretty good shape.

Underwater shot of a small/med tooth, mostly together, not great shape.
krvw.jpg

Ruler for size and a plug of course
jlc1.jpg

The picture of me in the rain as mentioned above
8mqm.jpg

The heartbreaker (one of several) of the trip, what was there was a little worn but the color was really nice, a shame it was a frag/partial.
jd2c.jpg

A picture of most of the fins from the two days. (not a great picture sorry)
ejg6.jpg

Hey thanks for the posting Jason. I rebuilt a boat trailer, so I am very familiar with mechanical failure. I have been on LOTS of boats that have broken down. Unfortunately that is just what they do.

Great underwater photos. I noticed, a while back, when doing a night dive in some 80' blue water, that my HID Dive Rite canister light made the UW video come out great! I was really surprised at that.

The one, in the rain, is just plain funny.

The heartbreaker was a stunning tooth, a few million years ago.

There are some nice specimens (on the left) in the photo of the finds. It seems to me we generally get about 10 good pieces per 100.

check out this blue water night dive video I made a few years ago. I was holding my HID canister light in my left hand

Found the video below, last night, and used it to practice video editing.

I call this clip "It's coming"

Hey Lee: I got a friend who is trying to build him an LED lite system and I was telling him about your. Can you tell me which page your light is on and what led light you have and of course cost. thanks

(1) Batting helmet from Lowes. I have since cut off the visor using a large vibratory saw. = $20
(2) Pop Bead Flex Arm Extension (4 Beads), Item IK9350.44, from www.bhphotovideo.com = $20 for 2
(2) Penetrater 220 2 Light Package from www.piranhadivemfg.com = $82 for 2
(2) Rubber plumbing connector from Lowes = $10 for 2
(x) 5/16 Bolts and Blind Nuts
(1) Blue Locktite
(1) Chin strap (to replace the flimsy one that comes on the helmet)

I removed(cut off) the visor because it interferes with the scuba mask. Attach the strings (on the lights) to the helmet, because the bead arms are designed to "pop apart". Definitely use Locktite on the metal threads. Slit the plumbing supply part longways(see photo). Cut a hole in the plumbing supply part for the blind nut. I reduced the arm to 3 beads as opposed to 4 beads. Out of water, the cantilever effect makes your head want to wobble. With 3 beads the effect is much less.

100_0800_zps0548775c.jpg

100_0689_zpsad2b4ff3.jpg

100_0688_zps55c85d5d.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Lee I'll pass this info on to my friend. Well looks like the water is screwed up as far as Vis goes for a while. With all the water coming down from up State ever River will be muddy for aleast a week or two and thats if the rain will quit. My Son and I were suppose to hit the Wando today, but rain and lighting changed that. Maybe next weekend. Thanks again.

Loved it Lee! Sure wish the Vis was good. I just looked at the Tailrace and the Vis is about 1 ft. at the surface, normal is 10 to 15ft. and of course they are running water. It might be August before the water clears up. Oh well I guess I'll get some projects done around the house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom