safety reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started with a finger spool and still use it. Progressed to a reel (cheap plastic one $25), was great for 2 dives until the clip broke off it. Got another (yes I know sucker for punishment) and it was great until I went to use it and the handle and half the reel body was missing, sheared off at some point in time. Bought a Dive Rite aluminium reel and that was great until I went to reel it in and found the handle missing (wasn't screwed in properly on assembly). Ok now I have another Dive Rite reel and my original finger spool. To date my fingers haven't fallen off ........YET!

I meant tapped as in they "tap" the end to mushroom it so it cannot unscrew. Likely not the correct term.

Staking. It's a type of securing a screw. I usually stake a screw by "staking" or deforming the surrounding metal into the head to prevent it from backing out, or I'll stake a dovetail fitting by using a punch to deform the "female" part of the dovetail fitting into the male part, so they can't move. I've secured rifle sight parts, and rifle bolt carrier parts with staking.

Sounds like a similar technique. Get the bolt all the way home, then use a center-punch to mushroom the threaded end so it can't back out. Staking.

Google Image it. It's common.

This thread appears to be the reel vs spool debate. Simply I carry both,because having both doesn't present an entanglement issue,and each has their benefit. I like spools for like an emergency situation,because I will deploy it,use it,and exit-the spool will be recovered later because I have no intent on spooling the line back in at that moment. Unsure of how many people actually practice with what they have beyond initial training,or have had to use it for real,but I have found in doing a zero viz search you rarely go in a linear path,and many opportunities for line backlash. I set my spool for emergency deployment style,which means there is an o-ring that hold the double ender closed,and when you deploy you are breaking the o-ring (this keeps my spool from being added to the many lost/found spool reports I see on the forums). For everything else,ie jumps,gaps,etc,a prefer a reel. All the issues mentioned previously in this thread can be managed by purchasing the correct reel for your body type,style etc; and most importantly practice using it will reduce jamming. I will add the funniest site I can remember was my regular dive buddy exiting a small very high flow passage having used a spool,and he couldn't spool the line up anywhere near fast enough. There was line everywhere,and as Larry the Cable Guys says,"Now that's funny,I don't care who you are :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom