A little budget, lots of expectations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmalbec

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi friends:
1) new to this forum. New to certified Padi Open Water. Soon to start Advanced.
2) From Chile, so please forgive my poor english.
3) Video and photography enthusiastic in ground, trying to get my hobby in diving
4) I have a limited budget to get a video and/or photo camera. I want to start with $300 maximum, for this first waterproof camera or case.
I own a video camera Canon Vixia HF R300 full HD. great camera. but the case I have seen cost more than $950.
My ideas are :
- Buy GoPro Hero 3 Silver edition (full HD, 11 Mp still photos, no zoom, no focus, 60 mt)
- Bonica Snapper HDDV ( I think I don't like it)
- Sealife-Reefmaster-Mini-2.1-9.0-Megapixel-Underwater-Camera ( just photo???)
- Any universal case for my Canon PowerShoot A560 Point&Shoot
- Any other opinion

Beside the neccesary lights (I will see it later) I would appreciate any comment, idea, experience with the cameras I mentioned or any other within the budget.

Kindly regards,
Paul, from Chile

Another affordable option might be the Intova Sport - http://www.intova.net/products/ic14-digital-camera-with-waterproof-housing/

but read the reviews b4 you decide. Intova IC14 Digital Camera with Waterproof Housing IC14 B&H

It's also only a 720P video camera.

[-]There's also the Canon case for your video camera but it's $470. And has limited controls - there's no touchscreen access when the camera is in the case for example. Your HF R300 should have an underwater mode also, my buddies MF200 does. Amazon.com: Canon WP-V2 Waterproof Case for HF-M30, 31 and 300: Camera & Photo

It's discontinued so last summer B&H closed them out for $99, you might check some of the u/w photo/video dealers and see if they - or anyone else still has any. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...-v2-canon-m301-not-ad-informational-only.html Besides B&H check with Adorama and Abe's of Maine - all sold them. Maybe eBay also?[/-]

Still photos obviously won't be as good with your video camera compared to the GoPro.

Last edited:
Thanks Diversteve.
The Intova seemes to be a nice option. Saddly it is not been sold by Scuba.com, where i want to buy some others items, and the international delivery is very expensive. It is 720P, but is a good option with the still photo resolution.

The WP-V2 case is not more available at B&H, plus I read a comment that is not suitable for my HFR300 model, and the Equinox Model for my camera is very expensive ($950).

It is a hard choice, and I'll try not to make a mistake, not because the camera cost itself, but the cost and time of delivery to Chile, besides the impossibility to get it back.

Thanks for your comments, and still thinking,

Paul, from Chile

You're probably right as you have an HF R300 and the WPV2 is for the HF M300. There may be enough difference between the two models that it won't work.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2013 at 11:04 AM ----------

B&H sells the Intova thru their Brazil operation also if that helps with the shipping costs.

Intova IC14 - Câmera Digital com Caixa à Prova d'Água IC14 B&H

I'd probably buy the GoPro though since you can probably get it locally. And it shoots higher resolution video.

Just one letter (M-R) but certain constructive differences.
I found very interesting the Intova Camera. Not the One you mentioned (720P), but there is a 1080P model (Intova Pro HD) better resolution and price, at Amazon.
Thanks

Intova Pro HD
Sport HD? Intova doesn't list a Pro HD on their website.
Sport HD | Intova

Edit: Answered my own question - it's the same model. From the Amazon description:
Intova SP-1 Sport HD Waterproof Video Camera
Amazon just added Pro in the title.

That's an interesting option also. 1080P resolution for less $$ than the IC-14. It appears that the way they did that is to make the camera non-removable from the housing.
Patented Unibody design

IDK if this matters to you either:
Digital zoom all modes except 1080p

Dear diversteveThanks for all the time and effort you took to help me. I really appreciate it.As soon i make the decision, and as soon the camera (any) arrives home, I'm going to tell you and send some samples.Kindly regards,Paul, from Chile

This might not be the answer you want to hear, but I think it's valid and probably will find a similar opinion on other threads. If you really are a video/photo enthusiast I think this is good advice

1) DON'T underestimate the value that perfect buoyancy control makes in taking good video. Likely focussing on camera with not yet great buoyancy will result in bad habits and not perfecting your body in the water. I love nothing more than shooting, but the first couple dives of a trip I do are without camera to get my buoyancy back on top form. Leave the camera alone until you can float upside down your head an inch from the sand and remain there.

2) GoPro is a good memories camera. But I am not one of these converts that it's this miracle device. You get what you pay for and if you would like to advance from Average beginner to good amateur footage I'd suggest a different route. Go for a mini camera - something like a canon sd Or Sony with HD video in a cheaper option like an ikelite housing( actually they had a package deal on an entry level Nikon compact for $ 400 Underwater Housing for Nikon Coolpix L26 ) while you are learning the functions topside you can practice bouyancy subsurface. Learn to manual white balance with ambient light and a filter for video. This makes a huge difference if you can get this down. And then practice practice practice! Suddenly your skills are transferable if you advance to a dslr video or handy am type video unlike most GoPro user techniques. Also these little cameras take good pics and you can add photo or video lights in the future.

Regardless, my limited experience shows if you get the cheaper option, you end up frustrated and spend the extra money sooner than you initially think. Hope this helps

1) DON'T underestimate the value that perfect buoyancy control makes in taking good video. Leave the camera alone until you can float upside down your head an inch from the sand and remain there.
After reading a lot, I'll do this. I'll not buy any camera before practice, practice, practice. It is going to be hard to try to manage several variables if I don't master some important issues. Safety First.

2) GoPro is a good memories camera. But I am not one of these converts that it's this miracle device.
As you mention. It is not a miracle device. It is a recognized brand, but it is not the best or the cheapest gadget compared with other brands / models with better specifications. It means, for me, it is overvaluated. Just a comparison with Intova HD Sport (better, cheaper). At least for me.

Thanks for your advice.

Paul, from Chile

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom