500th Dive as Merry's Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Merry and I made our 500th buddy dive together today. It seems like only yesterday that I was holding her hand and dragging her around Marineland.
We planned to hit the Redondo Barge first, but the crew of the Popeye Maru was hogging the place to themselves. Merry wasn't too keen on anchoring within a boat length of Scott and Margaret, so we headed to the southside where we found excellent conditions.

The ocean was a lake as we skidded toward Hawthorne Reef. Visibility on the reef was at least twenty feet and there was no surge at all. I found the usual assortment of nudibranchs, snails, worms and sea stars, but I missed the best shot. A copper rockfish was wiggling into a crack in a rock while a few sheephead watched from behind. Before I could get my camera ready, the rockfish emerged with an octopus sticking out of its mouth.

We ascended into a column teeming with salps. I was set up for super macro with a 105mm lens and 1.4 teleconverter, so Merry will have to save some of her shots for a later report.

HawthorneReef5-2_zpsb8e912b9.jpg

HawthorneReef16-1_zps21431a75.jpg

HawthorneReef11-1_zps3863f861.jpg

HawthorneReef14-1_zpsecfa9324.jpg

HawthorneReef13-1_zps9c7ab30a.jpg

HawthorneReef9-1_zps73b80ebf.jpg

HawthorneReef10-1_zps27907a57.jpg

HawthorneReef18-1_zps7891abc1.jpg

HawthorneReef17-1_zps72f0b7d2.jpg

I wanted to make our next dive, number five hundred as buddies at Marineland where we began diving together seven years ago. The water was green and we could only see a few feet down the kelp, so we headed back to the barge. I checked out an octopus nest, where the eggs look ready to hatch any time now.

RedondoBarge4-3_zps8c6ea2ec.jpg

RedondoBarge1-6_zps909f777a.jpg

RedondoBarge3-6_zpsc2bdabf7.jpg

Visibility on the barge was a dark twelve feet, so I checked out the usual hiding places for tiny nudibranchs. I saw a worm rolling around on the barge. A sheephead gulped it up, then spit it out quickly. When I downloaded my camera I saw that it was already missing its face and it intestines were exposed. I would love to find one alive. I've never seen one of these before.

RedondoBarge5-5_zps892cbee5.jpg

RedondoBarge7-4_zpsa5847e11.jpg

RedondoBarge6-5_zpsd1ec0d6f.jpg

RedondoBarge8-5_zps87cbb8e5.jpg

Wow -- there are so many cool photos there, it's hard to know where to start commenting, but the snail foot is amazing. I love the Mexichromis (I think it is) between the corals -- so beautifully composed, using the short depth of field to make the nudi "pop". And the worm pictures are amazing . . . I have no idea what kind of worm that is. Black intestines -- who'd a thunk it?

I thought they were gills when I spotted it. I kept waiting for it to grab hold and get upright. I didn't realize it was dead until I got home. :)

Congratulations to both of you. Thanks for the great pictures too.

Merry and I made our 500th buddy dive together today. It seems like only yesterday that I was holding her hand and dragging her around Marineland.
We planned to hit the Redondo Barge first, but the crew of the Popeye Maru was hogging the place to themselves. Merry wasn't too keen on anchoring within a boat length of Scott and Margaret, so we headed to the southside where we found excellent condit

The ocean was a lake as we skidded toward Hawthorne Reef. Visibility on the reef was at least twenty feet and there was no surge at all. I found the usual assortment of nudibranchs, snails, worms and sea stars, but I missed the best shot. A copper rockfish was wiggling into a crack in a rock while a few sheephead watched from behind. Before I could get my camera ready, the rockfish emerged with an octopus sticking out of its mouth.

We ascended into a column teeming with salps. I was set up for super macro with a 105mm lens and 1.4 teleconverter, so Merry will have to save some of her shots for a later report.

HawthorneReef5-2_zpsb8e912b9.jpg

HawthorneReef16-1_zps21431a75.jpg

HawthorneReef11-1_zps3863f861.jpg

HawthorneReef14-1_zpsecfa9324.jpg

HawthorneReef13-1_zps9c7ab30a.jpg

HawthorneReef9-1_zps73b80ebf.jpg

HawthorneReef10-1_zps27907a57.jpg

HawthorneReef18-1_zps7891abc1.jpg

HawthorneReef17-1_zps72f0b7d2.jpg

I wanted to make our next dive, number five hundred as buddies at Marineland where we began diving together seven years ago. The water was green and we could only see a few feet down the kelp, so we headed back to the barge. I checked out an octopus nest, where the eggs look ready to hatch any time now.

RedondoBarge4-3_zps8c6ea2ec.jpg

RedondoBarge1-6_zps909f777a.jpg

RedondoBarge3-6_zpsc2bdabf7.jpg

Visibility on the barge was a dark twelve feet, so I checked out the usual hiding places for tiny nudibranchs. I saw a worm rolling around on the barge. A sheephead gulped it up, then spit it out quickly. When I downloaded my camera I saw that it was already missing its face and it intestines were exposed. I would love to find one alive. I've never seen one of these before.

RedondoBarge5-5_zps892cbee5.jpg

RedondoBarge7-4_zpsa5847e11.jpg

RedondoBarge6-5_zpsd1ec0d6f.jpg

RedondoBarge8-5_zps87cbb8e5.jpg

Congrats on 500 dives together and as always i enjoy the photos.

Well, good news, at least for the worm. Leslie Harris of the Los Angeles Natural History Museum identified it as a Chaetopterus polychaete. They live in tubes & while they will climb out if threatened (as when a predator crawls inside in search of dinner) they are pretty helpless once they're out. It wasn't that long ago that all Chaetopterus, no matter if they lived in the Arctic or the Red Sea were called Chaetopterus variopedatus. Researchers use to think they were all the same species. Now it's clear that populations in different areas are distinct species but we still don't have a species name for the local one.

The way they feed is pretty interesting. Those 3 round large segments in the middle of the bottom continuously move back & forth to pump water through the tube. The worm creates a sticky mucus net. As the water moves through the net small particles are captured. Periodically the worm rolls up the net & swallows it, feeding on the particles & getting back the energy it spent on the net.

ChaetopterusLaJolla.jpg

Wow! Great find on the octopus nest. I really enjoy the photos you two post of the california marine life.

Back
Top Bottom