Puerto Galera vs. Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jimmy71,

I'd be interested in what liveaboard you have booked. I was booking the Expedition fleet for clients to the Tubbataha Reef but they shut down operations in October. I have started booking the Atlantis Azores now along with the two Atlantis Dive Resorts (Dumagete and Puerto Galera). The Azores is an old Aggressor ship that has been refurbished. I'm headed to one of the resorts and a short trip on the Azores in November. Looking forward to that trip.

Sorry to rise a dead post but it is now 2013 and I am planning a dive trip late April early May for a few weeks. I will be hitting tubbataha reef on a liveaboard. I am try to decide on Anilao vs Puerta Gallera for value vs diving. I gather that Anilao has slightly better macro subjects and more relaxing but is more costly. PG is cheaper and more of a city. I would love the assist on making the call of which to stay at.
Thanks

I did a couple of trips to Anilao/PG last year.

Anilao is macro heaven, long shore dives as well as boat dives, and in my opinion much cheaper than PG.

Nothing to do at night in Anilao except download all the days photos sort them out etc and have a couple of beers before hitting the sack.

PG on the other hand is quite active, not quite a city but you can spend money there in the resort bar easily enough once the partying starts.

Recommend Crystal Blue in Anilao

Recommend Asia Divers in PG.

Atlantis in PG was twice the price of Asia Divers last November asking for $1,400 for 4 days diving full board. I stayed at Asia Divers and one evening my buddy and I wandered down to the 50 Bar at Atlantis to find nobody there except the barman, while the Point Bar at Asia Divers was absolutely heaving. The usual barman Ton Ton was not there, but the guy behind the bar told me that they only had three guests at the resort. Suited us as my buddy and I wanted some quiet to discuss some serious topics before heading back to the Point Bar.

If I paid ONE dive in PG, the boat will still go out even if I am the only diver on board.
I wonder how many operator in Anilao will do that without charging extra?
BTW, it is easier and painless to get to PG than Anilao from Manila as long as the public bus leaves around 12pm.

Anilao is excellent for macro and good viz. But if you are the only guest at the resort....oh boy. All those extra do add up.
But PG has varieties both above and under water.

Agree with previous divers. I live in Manila and dive Anilaos 1-3 times a month. Diving is definitely superior in Anilaos over Puerta Galera. I also find it cheaper. However, Anilaos doesn't have any restaurants or bars etc...you just hang out in the resort (and dload pics or plan night dives - they have fantastic muck diving sites for night). If you want more of the hanging-out-at-the-bar, then Puerta Galera. Although, having said that, it's not like PG is fantastic for night life anyways...it's just that it HAS one compared to Anilaos :)

Are you going over a weekend or weekday? Anilaos is flooded with divers on Thur-Mon esp at the time you're going (dry season), which is nice if you're looking for groups to dive with and share boat costs with. If you don't mind paying for your own boat then mid-week is great also (but good to let dive resorts know in advance - some of them use freelance DI and DM so need to call them up). Happy to answer more questions or refer some amazing DMs (esp if you're into photography).

Help me understand how Anilaos is cheaper? all I see is resorts where PG has cheap housing and cheap dive operations. That was the big debate for me. Anilaos is better diving but more expensive and PG is cheaper but still good diving. Now I am really confused?!?!?!?!?

Anilao gets cheaper when you dive with a group because you get to split the costs. It becomes expensive for a single diver:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/406455-anilao-cheap-2.html#post6208383

I've gone through a few of those threads myself but also am pretty confused. PG diving didn't look THAT cheap to me when I looked up prices online. Dive and trek and anilao was 3,000Php per night with unlimited shore dives.. Seems pretty decent although I can't get an answer from em on boat dive costs.

Was looking to go 3d/2n monday to wednesday in may but ill be diving alone so trying to see whether PG, subic, or anilao are the better option.

Angelyn in PG offer pretty attractive package(full board + 3 dives per day) for around US110.00 per day.
Anilao is for weekend ONLY unless you do not MIND the EXTRA.

PG diving is in the range of Php1000 per dive which is not THAT cheap, but cheaper than Anilao if you are alone because in Anilao you have to pay the entire cost of the boat and DM/guide.

Dive and Trek is in Bauan, a different area, about 45 min to 1 hr by boat to the popular Anilao dive sites. Overnight rate in D and T including food, room and 2 days unlimited shore diving is now about Php3,500 I think. A 2-tank trip to the Anilao sites will cost an additional Php3,500-4,000 for the boat, again to be divided among the no. of divers.

Diving wise, I personally prefer Anilao over PG, because of generally better viz and more variety. I also like Subic a lot, but no comparison as it is mostly wrecks.

This is what I am able find. My numbers do not seem to jive with yours. My situation is that I will be traveling/diving with my wife in early May. No sure which days of the week.

To stay at crystal blue resort:
Crystal Blue Resort

4 nights lodging / with 8 boat dives

$637.52

So for the two of us it will cost 1274 USD. That does include three meals.

I would to imagine I would be much cheaper in PG.

an example would be Diving in Sabang Beach Puerto Galera, Philippines - Angelyn's Dive Resort

Dive Pack A1
Dive Pack A2
Dive Pack A3
Dive for 1-2 Day(s)
Dive for 3-5 Days
Dive for 6 Days or more
USD 115
USD 105
USD 100
includes room accommodation based on single occupancy, full board meal, maximum of 3 boat dives per day at selected Puerto Galera dive sites, and snacks in between dives

The numbers just do not add up that Anilao would be cheaper in any regards. This just does not add up. Even in the diving "anilao on the cheap" forum, they are not taking into about housing.

Please help fill me in. When looking at diving between Anilao and PG, I have to take into account housing, food, and diving.

Back
Top Bottom