What exactly does chlorine kill!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LDS I dive at has a full sized bath and two plastic dustbins for kit washing - after the salt water has been rinsed off in the bath kits goes into the 'dustbins' - one has a freshwater fill and the other always has a dilute disinfectant mix. After salt water has been rinsed off, regs, wetsuits and BC's all get a rinse in the disinfectant before getting a long soak in the freshwater. I know it doesn't help with any transfer of bodily fluids (if any) during air sharing, but it ensures that at least after dives regs and so on are sterile before they are put away.- P

OP- realistically in the situation u describe i would say No the chlorine would not kill all the bacteria. i would estimate it take a few second to minutes to kill off all the stuff on there.

If you really REALLY wana know, do the fun old agar and petri dish experiment. just get a kit like this

Amazon.com: Petri Dishes with Agar and Swabs - Science Fair Project Kit: Everything Else

and test for bacteria and germs before and after submersing the regulator mouth peace in pool water. u can try different types of pool water from green in color to holly crap its pure chlorine. u can try saltwater pools to see what effect there is aswell.

i know that in my pool nothing will be left on the reg..... the way we keep it clean is by over dosing chlorine. u can smell the stuff from like 15 feet way and your body itchs for a day or two after going in it for to long. we dont like people in there.....

Please refer to the following website for the published article with the microbiology journal for further details.

Study debunks common myth that urine is sterile

Thanks.
So, you saw that study and then searched for a misinformed poster? From three years ago? You may want to search out the threads from before 1859 that were not aware of Darwin's ground-breaking new book, The Origin of Species. :)

From three years ago?

Apparently, even CHLORINE can not kill 3 year old threads.

Picture25.png

Speaking of swapping spit in the pool.
I'm so old that I learned "mouth to mouth resuscitation" instead of CPR. There were no barrier masks. If we wanted to pass our Red Cross swim class we were required to lip lock with another candidate and blow air into his lungs. I can still hear the instructor yelling at us (anyone else remember when swim teachers thought it was cool to yell at the kids?) "When your partner blows, you will INHALE so the examiner can see his chest rise!" I remember all of us gargling pool water hoping to wash the residue away.
The good old days weren't always good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's funny Vladimir. I actually was looking for a page that described in depth the caustic nature of chlorine and this page came up. I have never been on this site prior to seeing this post. When I saw the post about urine being sterile I just had to respond. If you are interested in The Origin of Species you may find Richard Dawkins book, The Selfish Gene. It has totally changed how I think of competition among "living things". It seems to compliment current ideals in game theory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom