USING dive tables during OW course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so Mr 13 has passed his OW theory.Hes done 3 DSD dives with a decent instructor.
Im really keen that he should actually USE the dive tables in the 'real world" during his JOW training so it has become a habit to calculate his loading.
The instructors are bemused at this idea.
Whats wrong with my thinking?

Nothing is wrong with your thinking. Knowing how to use a dive table is an important skill. If we only rely on computers, then if our computer fails us, we can't dive. Having dive tables as a backup can at the very least allow us to make a repet dive with reasonable bottom time, and a concept of NDL.

Even though dive tables assume square profiles, and are limiting compared to a computer... Its better than not diving.

Even though dive tables assume square profiles, and are limiting compared to a computer... Its better than not diving.

Howard,

A great comment, that can/should be able to satisfy anyone's position!

Bill

Although I'm a geek and like tables, previous threads on the issue of whether it's still necessary to teach tables finally persuaded me that tables really aren't "necessary" anymore. It's been argued, for example, that one can gain an intuitive understanding of the concept of nitrogen loading by watching simulations of a computer's nitrogen loading bar graph or some other educational animation. As far as computer failure, it's been argued (persuasively, to me) that a backup computer can address most situations. (Boating analogy: How many offshore boaters bother to learn celestial navigation today, since most just carry a backup GPS receiver?) Also, a great many divers dive only with dive shops and resorts, and if their computer fails they can call off the afternoon dive and rent a computer for the rest of their trip. Sure, there are die-hard divers who would benefit from having a table and a dive watch in their briefcase on business trips in case a dive opportunity arises, but I have to believe they're the minority. Why teach tables to everyone as a required part of the basic OW course when it's only likely to be useful to a few?

That said, as I learn more about technical diving, I am glad I learned tables in OW. That tables again become important if one moves into tec diving does seem like a good reason to learn tables, though I'm still not convinced it's worthwhile anymore to learn as part of OW. It's easy enough to learn later.

Ok so Mr 13 has passed his OW theory.Hes done 3 DSD dives with a decent instructor.
Im really keen that he should actually USE the dive tables in the 'real world" during his JOW training so it has become a habit to calculate his loading.
The instructors are bemused at this idea.
Whats wrong with my thinking?

There is nothing wrong with your thinking.Is it possible that the instructor does NOT know how to use the tables.

Although I'm a geek and like tables, previous threads on the issue of whether it's still necessary to teach tables finally persuaded me that tables really aren't "necessary" anymore. It's been argued, for example, that one can gain an intuitive understanding of the concept of nitrogen loading by watching simulations of a computer's nitrogen loading bar graph or some other educational animation. As far as computer failure, it's been argued (persuasively, to me) that a backup computer can address most situations. (Boating analogy: How many offshore boaters bother to learn celestial navigation today, since most just carry a backup GPS receiver?) Also, a great many divers dive only with dive shops and resorts, and if their computer fails they can call off the afternoon dive and rent a computer for the rest of their trip. Sure, there are die-hard divers who would benefit from having a table and a dive watch in their briefcase on business trips in case a dive opportunity arises, but I have to believe they're the minority. Why teach tables to everyone as a required part of the basic OW course when it's only likely to be useful to a few?

That said, as I learn more about technical diving, I am glad I learned tables in OW. That tables again become important if one moves into tec diving does seem like a good reason to learn tables, though I'm still not convinced it's worthwhile anymore to learn as part of OW. It's easy enough to learn later.

Yes, bust celestial navigation is required for 200 Ton Captain's license... and even an OUPV Captain needs to know how to plot on a paper chart. This can be seen as a simile to the dive table and basis for understanding how to use them.

While I dive with 2 computers... Are we now going to tell new divers, "You don't just need one dive computer... you need two." Or "You need a computer and tables as a backup." Believe me... my philosophy is, "Two is One... One is None" but my diving isn't always pretty fishy diving either.

In support of what Jar546 said, I was taught to use the dive tables as part of my OW classes but my boyfriend was only taught to use a computer. After my course I sat with him and within 5 minutes taught him how to use the table and he was so happy to have gone through it because the computer provided no explanations and it made him appreciate more the relationship between dive times, depth and surface intervals. I had to pry the thing out of his hands!

i learned the tables, but i would have no problem with an instructor teaching only the computer...

however... if my instructor glossed over something i wanted to know more about or think i should know more about all i had to do was ask him to go into it a little more detail.. which is what i think should be the case here...

if you ask him to teach the table, it shouldnt be a problem.. as someone mentioned.. you are hiring them... they have an obligation to ensure u are a satisfied customer

I was not required to learn to use tables for my OW, but learned them on my own before using Nitrox.

I don't use them regularly (I prefer the simplicity of the computers myself) but can if the need arises.

As for you and your son, sounds like a bonding opportunity.

Yes, bust celestial navigation is required for 200 Ton Captain's license... and even an OUPV Captain needs to know how to plot on a paper chart. This can be seen as a simile to the dive table and basis for understanding how to use them.

Well, then piloting a big vessel is probably more like technical diving. For recreational diving, like recreational boating, there's no reason not to rely on technology.

I put my granddaughter through OW a couple years ago. She was taught with e-tables which is the worst of both worlds. The great thing about plastic (or paper) tables is you get to see the big picture and play the what-ifs as you use the table. So we did all of her work on the plastic tables also and I think she came out with a much better understanding of tissue loading and off-gassing.

The problem with being 100% dependent on technology is when you run into a problem (computer malfunction), you may not have the bigger picture knowledge to recognize when that technology is giving you nonsense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom