Article: Bounce Dives… what to do if you find yourself doing one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest problem is that, if you are faced with a situation of having to abort the second dive (and therefore converting it to a bounce) you also may be facing a situation where prolonging the ascent profile isn't what you want to do, either. But it's a good point that, if you DO have to abort a second dive, it's probably a good idea to prolong the "deco" as much as is reasonable, given the abort reason.

Doppler,

Thanks for posting this article. I have to admit that I find this comment you made disturbing:

I would hope most divers understand that dropping a stage bottle in 6-10 metres (20-30 feet) of water after a deco dive and jumping in to fish it out, is EXACTLY the thing to avoid.

It is disturbing to me because, honestly, I did not know that a shallow dive to 20 or 30 feet after a deeper dive was to be avoided. I am not trained in deco diving or trimix, so perhaps this spares me from the obligation of having had to know this. Had I taken part in a recreational dive, say, to 120 feet I would not feel the need to rush back into the water to retrieve some fallen gear. However, neither would I think that such a short excursion would be a problem. If this means that I don't know something that I should know I will accept my shortcoming, but I question how many non-tech divers are aware of this.

I'll chime in with a different "bouncy" scenario; several short, not-very-deep dives within one hour whist recovering lobster traps in a local, tidal, river. Some years ago I dove to recover traps that were fouled. The dives were made in a local, tidal river around slack tide when the current was minimal; a window of about 1 hour. One day I did 6 dives in that time frame; min depth about 30 feet, max about 70. Min time was 3 minutes, the longest around 18 minutes. Each dive was followed by a rather challenging climb back into the boat. One particular friend of mine always refused to accompany me.

"Each dive was followed by a rather challenging climb back into the boat."
- Listen to your Body, it was telling you something!

"Each dive was followed by a rather challenging climb back into the boat."
- Listen to your Body, it was telling you something!

The ladder I climbed had a "backwards lean" rather than forward or straight-up; that was the challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom