still house hollow platform location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merchant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i know there are platforms and some other things to see out there the only map i found shows they are on the other side of the little island.

are they reachable from shore or do you need a boat? was thinking of squeezing in a extra day this week to train with out having to drive 130+ miles.

They are easily reachable from shore but they are more rubble than platforms now since a boat ran into them during low water. Post the link to the map you found and we can be on the same sheet of music.

New%2520Bitmap%2520Image.jpg

red x is the location of the platforms ? and blue x is the marina/diveshop? this is not the map i found , 2 days later i cant find the link i followed go figure. but that is the little island on the other map......and the red x is where the dive fag was placed for the platforms

Last edited:
No, that is not correct. That island is accessible only by boat. The platforms and dive area are on the south side of the peninsula that is NE of the red 'X'. You can see a black X in the marina area and a red dotted line that curves to the south. That line ends on the peninsula and the dive area is only about 100 meters to the west of that point.

The dive shop at the Marina used to have a map, I had one but can't find it. Send a pm to oldschool, he knows more about Stillhouse than anyone I know and probably has a map. I have dove there many times but not in the last year so I don't know about the lake conditions or the conditions of the platforms. Here is an old post made by oldschool that describes the area:
Stillhouse is like plenty of lakes in Texas, hit and miss when it comes to conditions. I've had anywhere from 20' visability in the river channel to less than 1' at the old water plant. Anyway, here's the scoop on Stillhouse. Pay the four bucks at the gate. It will be worth it. Pass the pavillion and turn in on the right. There are several parking spots there. Once suited up, walk out on the penninsula (the right side when facing it). Towards the end of the penninsula, there is a large concrete block on the shore. From the block shoot a heading of 207 degrees. Swim out at this heading and approx. 75 yds out you will come to the dive platform. There is an eyelet in the center to tie off your dive flag. Definitely use one or you will end up paying a fat fine. There are several lines running out from the platform. The line at the top right corner will take you straight to a boat in about 25 ft. There's a huge resident fresh water drum that calls it home and is pretty protective of his diggs. There are two lines at the top left orner of the platform. The one on the left will take you to another boat in about 30 ft. The line on the right will take you directly to the water plant in about 50 ft. Approx 8 ft to the left of the platform is another much lower platform. There are two lines off of this one. The one on the left will take you directly to the river channel. Follow the line down the side of the channel. It is tied to a huge boulder. From there, go either left or right and follow the wall. The channel depth is about 65'. Two weeks ago, the viz in the channel was maybe 2' at best. You'll find other lines as well that will take you from one wreck to another. There are 4 boats out there.Several weeks ago, it really opened up at the bottom to 20'+. You can also dive at the marina. In about 30' there are two large boats, one sailboat and one cabin. Anyone who's interested in diving Stillhouse and looking for a buddy, sned me a PM. I'm out of town this weekend but will be hitting it again the following weekend.

This is or was the scuba shop : Home - Scuba Diving, Scuba Classes, Scuba Club, Killeen, Harker Heights, Waco, Temple, Belton
Map to the Dive Park: Google Map Maker

Thanks paulw for the compliment, but I'd have to tip my hat to awap as being the most knowledgable about Stillhouse. Yes, as awap says the platforms are still there but on the bottom. However there is a white bouy attached now which makes locating easy. I suggest shooting an azimuth from the shore near the pavillion and swim out from there. It's a great nav skill
practice. There are lines still attached to the platforms that will take you to the channel, the boats, and the water plant. Viz a couple of weeks ago at 25 ft was 6 to 8 ft. Not bad.

cool, i wrecked my hamstrings squatting 300 pounds 30 times yesterday.. so unless in the next two days of whirl pool soaks and heat heal them up in record time i wont be diving still house till next week. "usually takes me 5 days to recoup from over doing the weight lifting....." anyway that's a great detailed post and thanks for the update oldschool

cool, i wrecked my hamstrings squatting 300 pounds 30 times yesterday.. so unless in the next two days of whirl pool soaks and heat heal them up in record time i wont be diving still house till next week. "usually takes me 5 days to recoup from over doing the weight lifting....." anyway that's a great detailed post and thanks for the update oldschool

Send me a PM when you're ready and I'll meet you down at stillhouse.

dive shop was closed today so i only got one dive in, as you said found the platform and the lines easy. vis was 3-10ft depending on where i was. water 77 deg , cooled down to 67 below 35....

met 2 divers Eric and Alexandra nice people. finely adjusted to the new rig followed the lines out to the boat ant cycle....not much too see but lots of fish...... got to remember to get the tanks topped off cant rely on getting fills at still house (at least in mornings or holidays.) getting in and out was easy even w a 40cf stage , shore was nice and rocky solid footing but lots of broken glass not a fun site for bare foot swimming....

The other platform is only accessible by Boat unless you want to drive around near the dam & lug your gear 100+ yds thru rough terrain to get to the water edge. Talk to the dive shop, 1 of the dive masters has been running Sunday afternoon trips if people are willing to go. I've seen/done the set up courses & have been doing weekly "exploration dives", picking a place & going to see what I can find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom