Best Monterey dive shop for guided tour?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oira79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are interested in a guided tour of Monterey. We both have more than 200 dives, but she hasn't been diving in 5 years and we're taking a dive trip to French Polynesia next month (!), so we just want to get wet and get back into the swing of being underwater.

We live in SF but don't dive Monterey because ... sorry, folks on this forum ... it's too cold for us. (We have done it, didn't love it. Though we liked the seals.) But to do a 2-tank tune-up dive, it should be OK.

We don't own any equipment except masks and dive computers, so we need a dive shop that will rent us quality gear and arrange a divemaster, because my wife is not getting into the kelp forest without one.

What shop would you suggest? I tried searching the forum but most replies to similar previous questions were basically about tank fills. We need much more full service than that, and yet we're not underwater newbies either. Though I do stipulate to being underwater wussies about cold water.

Thanks.

The "best" is likely to be Bruce at Aquarius (the one on Del Monte) taking you to Pt. Lobos.

Heck. Pt. Lobos is so awesome it may change both of your minds about having to travel thousands of miles to go diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would check out Seven Seas Scuba. They are the newest shop in Monterey, right at San Carlos beach and their rental equipment is basically new, in very good shape.

They offer tours for 1 or2 people, 1 or 2 dives.

You could dive right there at Breakwater or go to Point Lobos as was suggested above.

And you will just have to suck it up... Cold water diving is awesome!

Thanks for the recs, guys. Cold water diving, I know it's visually awesome, but, brrr. We had some friends from Switzerland show us beautiful photos of their ice dives. Not for us.

Chuck: We went to both Rangiroa and Fakarava before. We decided to go back because we thought it was the best diving we've ever done (and we've been to the Maldives, Red Sea, Chuuk, Palau -- not everywhere, but some good places.)

Fakarava has even MORE sharks than Rangiroa. Sharks don't scare me. Low temperatures, though ...

I'd second Aquarius at the Breakwater. Nice people and I dived with them when I was out there a couple years ago. Not at the Breakwater but on a boat trip out near Carmel. I wanted to do some shore diving there and went in and checked out the shop. But time was short and didn't get the chance. Number one son graduating from the Presidio took precedence.

Note: Your wife hasn't been in the water in 5 years? Two dives as a refesher may not be enough. I'd plan for a few more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom