St Crox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there - I have a strage question for alll- maybe ScubaVixen can help me...
I am a non- American- but living happily here in Florida. I am in advanced stages of greencard adjustment and as such I am not allowed to leave the jolly old US. I am despereately lloking for elsewehre to dive within the US (and nearby- I love Hawaii, but its too far for a weekend)
As the USVI are considered part of the US, I take it that a trip here will not count as leaving US soil- the immigration site for the isalnds lists a 'pre-entry' inspection- is this just ot look at docs or do they stamp your passprot?
also- If I am changing planes in Peurto Rico, will they check any docs there?

thanks for any advice.

You shouldn't need to show your passport or your Green Card in either the USVI or Puerto Rico.

Incidentally, I think the diving is better in PR. Rent a car in San Juan and drive to the southwest part of the island.

thanks tvictory, I hadn't actually considered Puerto Rico-maybe I should look into that too.
anywhere close should be on my radar

nanson:
I'm not aware of rebreathers on STX and have not tried to find nitrox. Best to check with one of the dive shops like Dive Experience or SCUBA. October is hurricane season and STX has been hit before. I have never been there at that time of the year so cannot tell you what water temp is like. May 2002 was my last trip and water was 82, air was 85, and vis was 80 to 150' depending on the site.[/QUOTE
Thanks again Seems I've had luck in the past that time of year so we will roll the dice. I'll call down to stx and check with the stores you reckomended

Just got back from a week on St Croix. Dove with N2the Blue.
Dive Operators on the West End of the island. Did one surface dive at Cane Bay w/ Mark showing us the way out to the wall. Since this was only our 3rd dive, it was very excititng. Had a close encounter with a sea turtle, he was checking us out as much as we were checking him out! Beautiful dive.
The next 2 days we did boat dives with Anna and Derrick(the owners). First day was reef dives on the West End, saw a sting ray, great coral, beautiful fish, even a seahorse at 60'. Very short boat ride and easy on and off the boat. Our final day was wrecks, the deepest at just over 90 feet. Between 2 dives managed to see 6 wrecks(most of these have been sunk deliberately to create artificial reef). A huge angelfish, another ray, just a wonderful thing. And because I'm new at all this scuba stuff, it was very relaxing to have a very competent DM leading us along. The wreck dives we had another couple with us, but for the other 3 it was just us and the DM. Truly a beautiful thing. I'm looking forward to doing the pier at night next time, and the wall again.

Barbara

If you are a non-citizen you maybe be asked (and probably will) for proof of your immigration status upon leaving Puerto Rico or the USVI and re-entry to the continental US. You will not be leaving the US since Puerto Rico is a US commonwealth, however, you should be ready to show your immigration documents. I have been asked several times, and I am a citizen!. Take all your docs with you, it may make the process a lot easier.

As far as diving in PR, follow the advise given by someone else and rent a car. The best diving is on the north coast and the southwest coast of the island. I would go for the later. You can check out Parguera, Desecheo Island, and if you have time Mona Island. Enjoy!!

SW2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom