Eel Attacks, How Common Are They

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A photo of a messed up divers hand showed up online yesterday. A diver got hit while going after lobster off Palm Beach County. I sure hope the guy recovers fully and fast with minimal surgery and rehabilitation. Eels are common and can often be found in the same hole as lobster. No news there. You would think eel bites would be fairly common but over the years, I haven't heard of that many.

I started looking around online and found quite a few reports, photos and some videos dealing with attacks. Compared to the number of diving hours per year, still not that much but perhaps a bit more common than you might think. I started looking at some of the videos and started to reconsider some conclusions about eel behavior derived from over 40 years of interacting with them. One thing that stuck me was just how aggressive eels can be in the face of what may seem a minor irritation and how far they may swim in visiting retribution on an offending diver.

Some of the videos have been collected at the link below, along with some conclusions which have been reproduced below. This isn't rocket science, the conclusions could be reached through simple common sense and yet lots of us have violated some of these logical precautions hundreds of times over the years without problems. It seems likely just not all of us have escaped problems however.

Eel Rips Lobster Divers Hand & Other Attacks - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

"So, common factors, (there are likely others too), seem to include:

1. Food in the water, speared, from shark feeding or even feeding reef fish, particularly the eel itself.
2. Eel is excited and swimming erratically and perhaps coming in close for whatever reason
3. Eel followed too close and/or too long. They can show some pretty aggressive territorial response.
4. Eel is startled
5. Eels can decide to turn around and swim a good distance to attack a diver following what may seem to be a minor annoyance.
6. Eels commonly occur in holes with lobster. Anyone going after lobster should keep this in mind and checkout holes before going in there. Some say a lobster may keep an antennae bent backward if it is sharing a hole with an eel. Not sure this is always the case however. Snares and tickle sticks add distance but given some of the lengths eels may swim to nail a diver, perhaps not enough distance in all cases.
7. Once a eel decides to attack you there doesn't seem to be a lot that you can effectively do about it.
8. Eels can surprise you and bite with what may seem minimal provocation at times which is well worth remembering!

What other eel attacks have you seen, what contributed to them and what should you avoid doing as a result?"

When my wife was getting certified, the Dive Master was going for his instructor rating, so he was supposed to be the instructor for the class. I was tagging along with the group and was free to go where I wanted, I saw a lobster and was pointing it out to the class, I saw a small hole with an opening on the other side, so I got the lobster walking in the direction of the other opening and along comes Mr know it all Dive Master who was going to be the macho guy and sticks his hand right inthe hole to grab the lobster (as this usually works so well right) and low and behold the green moray was hanging with the lobster and had other ideas. He latched on to the finger which had a glove and the DM quickly pulled his finger out (bad idea) and the eel ripped his finger from the second knuckle from the tip all the way to the tip with 2 perfect slices on each side of the finger. The real instructor sent him to the boat and finished the dive. Back at the boat the Instructor then gave a quick lesson on what not to do when you see Lobster in a hole and pointed at dumb a$$. Needless to say he was not an instructor at the end of that dive. hahaha

Respect the reef as it may just reach out and grab you at any point!

I love seeing eels when diving and could watch them the entire dive. I always give them plenty of room as well as keep my fingers safely tucked away. One of my favorite eel stories was when my and husband and I were on our certification dives. The site we were on was loaded with bridge rubble, so lots of nooks and crannies. He got really excited and was pointing to something on some rubble. I looked in horror when I noticed he was pointing to an eel, with his finger less than 2 inches from it's open mouth. I slapped his hand away and only to have him do it again. I could not understand why the hell my husband would deliberatly put an appendage in danger. Once back on the boat, I asked him what the hell he thought he was doing, and his response was "Didn't you see the arrow crab? I was pointing right at it. What was your issue?" When I explained to him his finger was practically in an eel's mouth, he couldn't believe it. He never saw the eel even though he was looking right at it.

We have met people with eel injuries, mostly when lobstering. One guy had been bit several times and was even missing parts of a few fingers, all from eels. On our dive we watched as he repeatedly stuck his hand and arm up into the ledge just to see what was in there.

[video=youtube_share;Bap2PxetarQ]http://youtu.be/Bap2PxetarQ[/video]

i have been nailed several times.. once really pretty hard. I know several comm lobster divers who wear a steel mesh glove under a dive glove.

2 times,both while lobstering.Both times the teeth went through glove.Slight scars show oln two fingers.More likely to get lionfish stuck or urchins.I have seen wolf eels that would do significant damage but as I always shine a light first I declined to join them under a ledge.

Although humans may think they're the dominant species, in the marine world they're just another piece of meat....Live and let be.......

I was tagged once also while lobstering and wont go near them now. no stitches needed but it left a little scar

If you're 'hunting', it goes with the territory that other predators will be attracted to your kills. Duh.

If you're dumb enough to stick your hand where it don't belong/ provoke a wild animal... I say good riddance, let your maimed appendage be a lesson to others not to tease tigers.

I'd bet the farm no eel has ever attacked a human without good reason. We are not eel food, not even close.

Also, the lost finger story sounds oddly similar to the Thai eel that took that guy's thumb. You know, the one on youtube where they replace the thumb with a toe...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom