Getting Back in the Water, but have an important question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the specific markings on your tanks?

Ok, so here are the markings on all the tanks. Yes, I know some of there are on the blacklist. that said, THEY ALL PASSED EDDY CURRENT TESTING.
Now, to founder of ScubaToys suggested that some folks just buy their stickers anywhere. Unless Burleson Scuba has a bad rep that I am not aware of, we paid for a legal and legitimate testing on these cylinders. Here is the information you requested. FWIW, Tanks 07,08, 09, & 10 were the ones that Athens insisted we bleed or remove from the premises. EVEN THOUGH THEY PASSED EDDY 7 DAYS PRIOR.

Tank 01 TC-3ALM 207 DOT-3AL 3000P46406 LUXFER 06^93 S80

Sherwood valve
Tank 02 CTC/DOT-3AL3000P480026LUXFER 04^90 S80

Tank 03 CTC/DOT 3AL 3000Y27828

very difficult to read, because the paint was heavy in the stamping
Tank 04 CTC/DOT-3AL 3000P426513LUXFER 6^89 S80

Tank 05 DOT-SP6498-3000 R5451 USD ^ 3 73

US Divers "J" Valve (50 cubic feet)
Tank 06 CTC/DOT-3AL 3000P480681LUXFER 04^90 S80

Tank 07 CTC/DOT-3AL3000PP40114LUXFER 08^92 - S63

Sherwood Valve
Tank 08 CTC/DOT 3AL 3000J75885 2^87

US Divers Valve
Tank 09 CTC/DOT 3AL 3000J74777 WK11^86

US Divers Valve
Tank 10 DOT-E 7042 3000-D 11185 WK3^79

US Divers Valve
Tank 11 3AL DOT-E6498-3000 P195455 USD ^ 10 "arrow up"78

US Divers Valve

Tank 12 (this is steel) I tried to replicate the format of the markings below.
ICC3AA2250
USD
2G59+

8 (sideways B) 84
U.S. Divers
11021 PICO
L.A. CAL

Superior valve

---------- Post Merged at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Who manufactured your tank?

When was it manufactured (first hydro date)?

All of the bad aluminum tanks were manufactured over 22 years ago. You say your tank is 12 years old. Just trying to understand what is going on here.

I apologize for the misunderstanding, no my tanks are not 12 years old, they have not been in the water for 12 years is what I meant. We also took in 12 tanks to be tested 2 weeks ago, and we had them all pass. To the best of my knowledge, they all passed through a legitimate and legal test. We did not "buy" our stickers, like some side street inspection station for autos.
Along the lines of cars, I have an old GTO, as well as an Austin Healey. Based on the type of mindset that these tanks receive, one would think that I would need to scrap these out, as they are old and unsafe. No retractable shoulder belts, no crumple zones, no airbags, etc, etc. Yet I take them in for inspection each year, like you do your tank.
Again, if they pass a legitimate test, why so much controversy? And for what it costs to do the entire test circuit in an old tank, if one would have to try to "buy" the stickers, one would think the expense of "buying" a set of inspection stickers, would equal the cost of a new tank.

But back to my original question, where, other than Burleson Scuba, and San Marcos, can one fill these tanks. I'd like some names of shops, so I can work up a spread sheet for reference as we plan our next dive trip.
If I have to buy all new tanks, I foresee another few years on shore, while I gather up the disposable household funding to replace the tanks I currently own.

Thanks
Brad

Thanks. Quite a mixed batch of tanks. You might want to get with a trusted shop and identify those that are good and bad aluminum and map that to your list. It looks to me like neither Athens SP nor CSSP will fill 6351 tanks so keep that in mind. If you are not asking them to fill it, it is not clear what their basis is for inspecting it; but their park, their rules. So, plan accordingly.

Heres my $.02. The way I understand it (as i had to do a lot of research having owned 2 tanks that even after hydro and CE no one but the shop that hydro'd them would fill them) the tanks that are suspect are 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, & 11. Especially 9 & 10 as they are Walter Kiddie tanks and WK only used the suspect alloy. Use of the suspect alloy was discontinued by Luxfur in 1989 to early 1990. Catalina tanks are the only manufacture that did not use the "bad" alloy. As a result Most shops I know of just wont fill an al. tank manufactured prior to 1990. Hey its their shop so they can do what they want.

When I took my PSI/PCI Inspector course, the instructor tried to drive into us; "any Aluminum cylinder over 15 years old should not be allowed in the shop.
It does suck, but there is no pill to fix stupid.

Sounds a lot like the "can't hydro a painted tank" mantra that my friend heard over and over only the names of the parties have changed.

Windy Point at Lake Travis, will fill those tanks, as long as they are in VIP, but don't expect a Good fill. If you want a "Good" fill, a couple of scuba shops are about 15 minutes away.

Agreed. I always get great fills at the ScubLand Lake store. Course I typically come back the next day for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom