Dive shop San Marcos was robbed last night.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Swampers:

I work at the Dive Shop in San Marcos. I'm still reeling, and still inventorying, but it appears we were robbed last night. Might be wrong, but it looks bad right now.

A ton of missing stuff was personal gear of staff, but for an initial list:

Be on the lookout for anyone selling:

Halcyon Eclipse 30
Halcyon Eclipse 30 Stealth with AL80, number 134 of 500, (my personal rig was stolen)
Doubles AL80s unfinished (no jam nuts on the manifold) (300 bar)
LP85 Tanks with 300-Bar valves
Scubapro Galileo Luna
Various masks and fins, mostly Scubapro or Subgear
Scubapro Mk25/G250s singles rig (teal diaphragm on primary) (mine)
Scubapro Mk17/G250s doubles rig (Red diaphragm on primary) (mine)
Halcyon Evolve 40s (new floor model, along with my older one)
Reels, spools, SMBs, all Halcyon
Luxfer AL80 with Halcyon stage rigging and Mk10/G200 reg (mine)

We just discovered this. Please just keep your eyes peeled and let me know where anything Halcyon or Scubapro turns up locally.

I'll have more info/serial numbers later.

Mike,

Sorry to hear this. I'll keep my eyes open on eBay and Craigslist.

Chris

I hate thieves!!

Something is a little fishy with this one though. How come they stole used gear, albeit high end? Seems like a dive shop should have had tons of brand new gear in the box to choose from? Was it mostly one persons personal gear?

OK, the stage bottle is not stolen.

Other things:

My can light was also stolen. Halcyon 9/21, with a DSS scooter thumb loop and SS clip on the right side. Obvious scratches and wear.
AL80 natural finish (new)
Scubapro X-Tek 30 singles rig with Hog harness (new)
Scubapro Cayman reg (new)
Scubapro Mk25/A700 (new)
Scubapro Mk25/S600 (new)

The reason used gear was stolen, was it was mine and it was placed right by the side door, since I had just gotten back from diving and was going till fill it today. The door was the point of entry. Bad luck. Everything was new, except my Stealth Eclipse with AL80 and Mk25/G250s and my can light.

However, right next to my gear, was also my fully-assembled doubles rig. Not stolen. Also, tons of other tanks and masks were not stolen, but were literally right next to the stolen stuff. Like, we had 7-8 tanks of various colors. Only the unfinished one was stolen. We have two AL6s for argon bottles, not stolen.

They broke into a display case and stole two 100-foot finger spools, but left the $200 400-foot reel, 3 lift bags, and tons of knives.

This makes little sense and is quite specific. At least I still have my doubles.

Wow.. a scubashop was robbed and they stole only the cave stuff. Did you not have any can lights in stock? What crazy thief would steal stage rigging as it looks like trash to most people. At least LP85's/300bar will Halcyon will be easy to spot.

No wetsuits, snorkels, booties, or split fins... I guess we got some crackhead cavers in TX somewhere.

It sounds like somebody really knew what they wanted and where to get it. Does not sound like somebody with just an OW card.

And the cave/tech stuff was, for the most part, personally owned.

A Halcyon Eclipse 30 was stoen, but it was attached to one of my LP85s as a "display" floor model. Same story for the Evolve 40. It was attached to a set of my wife's AL80 doubles, as a display.

They left my fully-assembled used doubles rig, but stole the new rig.

And they left my wife's Eclipse 30, yet my Stealth, which was right next to it, is gone.

---------- Post Merged at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Also gone:

Scubapro Orbit mask
Scubapro Frameless Mini mask
Two Halcyon slap strap, (yet left two on the rack)
Subgear rash guard

Sorry to hear about the break-in. I'll be keeping an eye out online for an of the listed stuff. Yeah it does sound like a caver broke in and was very specific... Guess they weren't lying when they said cave training gets expensive! Hope this guy gets caught and you get all your stuff back soon!

More weirdness:

They picked through the wetsuits and grabbed a couple, yet my drysuit was untouched.

We're contacting local instructors/shops and seeing if there are tech classes starting soon.

We'll see what happens.

That sucks big time, really sorry to hear about this. With how the close the scuba community is in Austin area; it's only a matter time (short time) before they are caught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom