Boat diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would dive from it on a small lake (not one of the great lakes) Take gear off in the water etc..

i don't see a way to get back on it easily or do i just water ski back to shore in full diving gear? :p
LOL
There is a fold down aluminum ladder at the back corner. But, as has been stated, you'd have to doff gear before climbing up. Getting in w/ full gear would be a challenge.

Whats wrong witht hat boat for diving? looks fine to me.--Just back from diving from a couple of RIB's

avoninflatable.jpg

avoninflatable003.jpg

Here's my dive boat. I still need to:

Buy an outboard...~80s Mercury 9.9 ideally.
Buy a trailer
Add a trailer hitch to my 1990 Honda CRX HF (that'll be fun to tow with!)
Add navigation lights
Add an anchor
Fabricate a ladder out of rope / aluminum tube
Add a GPS unit, probably a Garmin Rhino 120 or something
Fabricate a transom light bar to mount the 360 degree light higher, plus some cheapo fog lights so I can see where I'm going at night. It would give me a spot for a VHF antenna too.
Add a Marine VHF radio...probably one of the newer Standard Horizon units

Then it's just a matter of going diving! It should be able to fit 2 rec divers + driver with some degree of comfort.

Interestingly enough, it might be much easier diving from inflatables than the one presented as you can don the gear, back roll do the dives, doff the equipment in the right order and get back on the boat (especially if you can rig a ladder system to do so).

I do have a fishing boat that I have used for diving in the past and intend to use more this year in that regard. It is a bowrider equipped with a ladder at the back. The way it is set-up, it is much easier to get back in after removing your weight belt and BC/BP but it is large enough to get four divers with their equipment and a boat operator out on rivers and lake in small to moderate waves.

198.jpg

I would definitely think about how you would get an unconscious diver back into any boat you are diving from. I think it is easy enough to do it into a RIB but a boat like the one pictured in the OP may take some practice.

It's always a good idea to have a plan.

Are you a picky boat diver? What types of boats have you dove from? Would you dive from this boat? (not ocean diving. lake diving.)
boat.jpg

The smallest boat I dive out of is a Malibu Two Ocean Kayak. It is a tandem kayak with a seat in the middle so it can be used by one person. I have enough room for gear and the kayak is big enough to carry me and my gear without being over weighted. I have made dives in the ocean making entry through surf off the beach. I usually dive surface supplied from the kayak using a 50' umbilical attached to the tank I leave in the kayak.

Malibu Two | Ocean Kayak

Scuba Surface Supply

I used to dive from a 20ft stabicraft in NZ.

Here is the only picture I could find from the internet as the company has changed hands and changed boat. Another guy and I rotated as DM and captain. We could fit 5 divers, 1 DM and 1 captain for a 2-tank dive. For sure there wasn't a great deal of room for walking around but it was functional.

Toilets were in the trees during the surface interval.Tawaki Dive.jpg

Sure - you could. We live on Georgian bay (great lakes area - but not open water) - and dad's recent purchase is an 18' bowrider with a similar ladder but with a small "swim platform" on the back. If you could buy anything you wanted - I'd go for something with at least a minimal platform. Either way, you're going to have to pretty well throughly remove gear before getting on the boat.

We saw a specialty course for "kayak diver" on a list at a resort in Bonaire. It's a bit of a running joke with our family :)

I have dove off kayak, off a boat like the one the op posted, a 12 foot outboard, a 20 foot pontoon boat ( good for diving) and a canoe. The traditional dive boat with dive platform is better. I like liveaboards even more.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom