More cheap good food department - Chilangos on 30th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks vlkr. It is hard to fathom anyone naming their restaurant something that would be considered an insult. And not just one restaurant but two! It is just too competitive here. Given your description, i wonder if the intent might be "fast"? Our food certainly came quickly enough. It wouldn't be the first time Wikipedia was off base!
As I'm sure you've noticed, many people proudly go by their nicknames rather than their first names, even if they may seem derogatory : Gordo (fatty), Flaco (skinny), Chaparrito (shorty)… So why not name a restaurant Chilango's?
I always thought "you speak like a Chilango" meant "you use a lot of slang". Now, after reading your post, I wonder if it could mean "you speak fast" (wishful thinking here).

i would take it like opening a "new york deli" in new england.
Having lived in New England for 50 years, I can report that any "New York Deli" that was any good, was welcome and a great success in New England. Its been hard to find good deli!
I am a Chilangos fan as well.

Thanks. :thumb: She may have let it slide because some of it is out of date. This cafe is listed at a different location, lunch Mon-Fri, which doesn't fit the original post here. Things do change.
Things haven't changed Don at least as far as these 2 go. There are 2 restaurants in Coz called Chilangos. One is in Corpus Christi area as per Christi's list, and the other is up on 30th. Both have been around in the same place for many years.

Things haven't changed Don at least as far as these 2 go. There are 2 restaurants in Coz called Chilangos. One is in Corpus Christi area as per Christi's list, and the other is up on 30th. Both have been around in the same place for many years.
Oh ok, 2 cafes. The one her list is open for lunch Mon-Fri, and the you had dinner at on 30th Ave is open weekends. Gotcha. Thanks.

It seems the word can be one of pride or insult, depending on views - much like redneck or cowboy. Chilango - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't help but notice that right there in the first quote, second paragraph someone added their own little blurb in there right after chilango that says "Gente muy pendeja". LOL (translated losely as "chilango people are stupid a**holes). I wonder how long it will take for someone to go in and take that out of there. This is the reason that as a H.S. teacher and librarian, I warn my students about not taking the info. on wikipedia at face value. :) As a matter of fact, I think I will use this as an example after I clean it up a little.

But no matter what the word means, it is one of my favorite places to eat. YUM!

We just returned from our first (but not last!) Coz trip last week. We didn't know about Chilangos, but most certainly will give it a try, next trip. We did find a good "hole-in-the-wall" breakfast/lunch spot though: Chuy's Kitchen on Calle 5 Sur, up a few blocks from the Aldora shop. Owner operated, 4 or 5 tables. He posts daily menu specials: breakfast 65 pesos, lunch 75 pesos. Everything we ate was fantastic. I also developed a new food addiction: La Choza's avacado pie. Yummmmmm!!!!!

I can't help but notice that right there in the first quote, second paragraph someone added their own little blurb in there right after chilango that says "Gente muy pendeja". LOL (translated losely as "chilango people are stupid a**holes). I wonder how long it will take for someone to go in and take that out of there. This is the reason that as a H.S. teacher and librarian, I warn my students about not taking the info. on wikipedia at face value. :) As a matter of fact, I think I will use this as an example after I clean it up a little.

But no matter what the word means, it is one of my favorite places to eat. YUM!
Inappropriate remark it is, but doesn't really reduce the article. Some Wiki articles are interesting and helpful, and some are otherwise. I've corrected a few. If the subject is important, get additional references. :wink:

It's really irritating when they conflict with Marine Corp history...! :usa:

Inappropriate remark it is, but doesn't really reduce the article. Some Wiki articles are interesting and helpful, and some are otherwise. I've corrected a few. If the subject is important, get additional references. :wink:

It's really irritating when they conflict with Marine Corp history...! :usa:

You are right, Don. That is why I tell them that if they must use it, to consider it a starting point and read the info. very carefully and cross reference with other resources. But I could totally see a high school student doing a reserch paper 'cutting a pasting' (yes, GASP, they do it ALL the time) a paragraph such as this one into their paper with NO clue what it actually said.

I did not mean to imply that the rest of the article was incorrect. Just could not help but notice that one little comment somebody snuck in there.

So - just to make sure that I haven't gotten this thread too far off topic, let me just say again how much I love to eat at Chilangos! I will be in Coz. Saturday for a week and you can bet your bippies I'm gonna eat there at least once. :)

Julie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom