Ice Diving Emergencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we go even simpler.

1 OK
2 (or more) get me out

If you need more or less slack, you should communicate this before the dive, and if it happens during the dive, deal with and tell the tender before the next dive.

If 2 pulls doesn't get you out, or there is nothing on the end of the line, then the Rescue diver goes in. Don't see a need for a rescue diver signal.

Yep, that would be the other end of the spectrum. "diver centric"

Yep, that would be the other end of the spectrum. "diver centric"

yes, the two signals would be in the context of a "fun" ice dive or new diver certification. We use different signals in the context of conducting a search and recovery that include signals for such things as object found.

Basically when I say 2 or more, I mean you just keep tugging on the rope until you start moving toward the hole :)

These posts have pretty much answered my questions, though I should have asked in a different way. I really had 2 questions: [1] what are all the emergencies that the reader may have experienced under the ice or heard about, and[2] are there more signals that are used beyond the trainee level that are more involved and communicative between diver and tender?

The big issue I see is a diver being yanked up from 60' immediately by a tender that panics because he/she doesn't know what is happening to the diver. Maybe there is an issue that can be resolved by the diver/divers underwater without necessarily having to be yanked up together making the problem even worse because the two get entwined or they are pulled up and smack their heads on the ice knocking their masks off, etc. What if the diver has a severe cramp and wants to be brought up [but slowly]. If he's brought up too fast the cramp is only a small problem compared to other issues that may be caused by a too rapid ascent. How do you tell the tender that there is an issue occurring and to stand by for further instructions/ be extremely alert the next couple minutes. What if you have recovered the body but you need another diver sent down to help you extricate it from the car. I quess you would probably just surface and change from search mode to recovery mode and send a different team down. I am thinking mostly of search/recovery divers but I quess they will be working in buddy teams that are experienced working with each other and will already have worked out their own "communication signals."

These posts have pretty much answered my questions, though I should have asked in a different way. I really had 2 questions: [1] what are all the emergencies that the reader may have experienced under the ice or heard about, and[2] are there more signals that are used beyond the trainee level that are more involved and communicative between diver and tender?

...//...

For TeamLGS's view you can get the book: Amazon.com: Ice Diving Operations (9780878148431): Walt Hendrick, Andrea Zaferes: Books

Other agencies will differ...

You are overthinking this. The 4 standard singnals are enough for recreational under ice diving. If you are engaged in a complicated mission such as search or salvage, then you might need to agree on a more complicated communication protocol, or, preferably, use a voice link.

The emergencies that we prepare for are:
1. Off line (Lost diver)
2. Entanglement
3. Free flow
4. Hypothermia

The biggest problem most new ice divers (and tenders) have is learning to handle the lines. The task loading on the divers often causes them to have problems controlling their buoyancy. Tenders need to learn how to keep the line tight enough to feel the diver's signals without restricting the diver's movement.

The tender really only has to do two things, keep track of the diver and react in an emergency. There are only two responses:
1. Pull the diver up. (No response from diver or diver request)
2. Send in the safety diver. (Entanglement or lost diver)

The big issue I see is a diver being yanked up from 60' immediately by a tender that panics because he/she doesn't know what is happening to the diver. Maybe there is an issue that can be resolved by the diver/divers underwater without necessarily having to be yanked up together making the problem even worse because the two get entwined or they are pulled up and smack their heads on the ice knocking their masks off, etc. What if the diver has a severe cramp and wants to be brought up [but slowly]. If he's brought up too fast the cramp is only a small problem compared to other issues that may be caused by a too rapid ascent. How do you tell the tender that there is an issue occurring and to stand by for further instructions/ be extremely alert the next couple minutes. What if you have recovered the body but you need another diver sent down to help you extricate it from the car. I quess you would probably just surface and change from search mode to recovery mode and send a different team down. I am thinking mostly of search/recovery divers but I quess they will be working in buddy teams that are experienced working with each other and will already have worked out their own "communication signals."

The tender should be able to determine if the diver is at the surface (i.e. touching the ice), or well under based on the direction of the line. If the diver is on the surface, then extraction would be turning and running with the line, otherwise it would be slower extraction. If your tender is prone to panic, get a new tender.

Well -- to wrap up this thread and put it to bed I think I can gather that [1] emergencies do not often occur in a well run and planned ice dive with experienced personnel and [2] the 4 or 5 signals taught and accepted by the ice diving community are sufficient under normal ice diving situations. I am happy with this. Thank you for your responses and input.

The line signals are pretty much the same as in Fire fighting using the OATH acronym.

Ok 1 pull – Ok.
Advance 2 pulls – Advance/ give more line (usually asked by divers)
Take up slack 3 pulls – Take line in (usually asked by divers)
Help 4 or more rapid pulls – Help/emergency, divers need to ascend

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom