Wetsuit for cold water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're concerned about fitting issues, and are on a budget consider getting a used Whites Fusion.
Even a brand new Fusion Sport isn't much higher that $1000.

There's no doubt that a drysuit is a big investment....I just bought one along with undergarment, p-valve, drysgloves, replaceable seals, etc.

I think the only wet suit (semi-dry) that I would dive in cold water with would be the Pinnacle Arctic I mentioned in my first post here. I have no doubt that the second dive of the day is not going to be that great of an experience.

As for me....I've always said that I would never buy a wetsuit thicker than the 3mm Pinnacle I currently own. If I ever needed anything warmer, it was time to dive dry. I've rented dry suits which is not ideal, and am glad I finally have my own.

Coming from a fellow diver that is also considering DM training (later down the road). I'd get the drysuit first AND get a lot of drysuit dives under your belt first.

No doubt, during DM training you'll be spending plenty of time in the water. You may as well be physically and mentally comfortable while doing it, so you can focus on the in-the-water skills.

Get the drysuit first! along with all of the related gear.
Look for a used Fusion...there are plenty of them listed here from time to time.

Take care and good luck.

-Mitch

Lol. I've thought about that. I'm looking for a second hander but I haven't found anything yet. Still looking!

I can still get alterations done on an older suit right?

Sure...but that'll be expensive. :)
Buying a suit cheap that needs alterations could be a false economy. Once you buy it...you're married to it. Get a proper fit to begin with. Used dry suits show up all the time...hold out for a good fit.

Good luck.

-Mitch

"Can't afford a drysuit"....how sad.

In Canada you can't afford NOT to dive without a drysuit!!

I HATE thick wetsuits....they lose a lot of insulation at depth. They let water in unless you have them incredibly tight at the wrist and neck. They greatly restrict movement in a (as I remember my physics) non-linear manner of thickness ie. Those 6-8mm suits are STIFF and heavy and cumbersome to carry.

IF you are a stock size of a drysuit, you are lucky. I am not. You can find TONS and TONS of used dysuits. Usually they just require changing seals.

AND a used drysuit will provide much more insulation at a price often equal to a thick new wetsuit.

Even in relatively warm water a bulky person(like moi) can become cold if diving for a long time.

You CAN get a drysuit for 700-1000 dollars US. I bought, but did not fit, a NEW Typhoon drysuit from Scubatoys for $799!!! It was beautiful. But did not fit me. This was a great deal of course, but I prove it can be done.

I live in Minnesota and our freezing water temp is the same as yours...we just measure it differently with that weird ass system that was created in Britain and involves the king's foot or something....

Ironic that we used a British system that Brits don't even use AND President Reagan nixed the metric advancement here!!

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!

A pre and post hot water primed wet 7mm works fine for a single dive. Get as thick a hood as you can and make sure it fits VERY well as most of your body heat is lost through the head. Mine was fine in 42deg Puget Sound water but I got cold on a second dive. Also, neoprene compresses with depth and loses insulation. At 33', a 7 becomes about a 4 and at 90 its even thinner.

In the spirit of "buy it nice or buy it twice", I wish I'd gone with a dry, as I did after about 20 cold water dives. I strongly recommend selecting your undergarment before your suit. But the suit in with ALL your undergarments, squat right down then reach back and make sure you can reach your valves. If not, it's too short and you'll regret buying it.
Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

Btw, while the DUIs are most popular here, the Fusion has a very good rep. I've several buddies who love them.
Also, as you become a better dive you will move less under water and generate less heat. You can add an Argon system to a dry or go with a heavier undergarment. I started dry with a crushed neoprene CF 200, bought on Craig's list for $400, and a 200 weight fleece undergarment. I was fine all winter but once I calmed down I got cold. I now use a 400 weight Santi and Argon. I'm glad I bought my TLS 350 long enough to handle it.

Dive safe and, as a Canadian, Long Live the Queen!!

DAve

Pee valve is an absolute MUST, and it gives you an excuse to brag about your "gear":). She-pee for females.

Dew what I find is a regular neoprene suit is warmer and undergarment is lighter which is a lighter weight belt, and neo seals never leak.

Dui suits always seem to leak, I always thought it was a great suit, but I never have to take my suit in, after a decade and thousands of dive I buy another.

Also if you watch intake of fluid before diving you will be fine for a 100 or so min dive.

A pre and post hot water primed wet 7mm works fine for a single dive.

This can predispose to DCS... especially a post-dive hot water flush.

Advise remains the same - wear appropriate exposure protection for the conditions you will be diving in, don't cheapskate or take short-cuts.

Never new of this devon as divers do this here in the puget world, I never need it when diving wet, but a spearo buddy does it before and after.

Is cause when doing deeper and deco or what is your findings devon?

If I were you I would get a drysuit.

Just get a drysuit in your price range, you'll be much better off.
WOW! I had to quote that :shocked2: ZKY and I always get a laugh out of drysuit vs wetsuit and usually stand on opposite sides of the fence. :cheers:

I bought a CF200 from ebay which was a NOS EOD suit for $400 which included DUI 400g undies and booties. Dove the heck out of it for 250+ dives before retiring it to my backup suit. It went thru a few sets of seals which are easy to replace, some leaks that required sealing up, I replaced the pee valve for $25, and I replaced the valves. It was a great suit that was dry 98% of the time. Even wet I was warmer than in a wetsuit. My partners Bare Trilam drysuit cost us $128 shipped from ebay, came with Si-Tech dry gloves and after a couple repairs is performing excellently.

If money is a challenge buy a used drysuit and learn to repair your own drysuit. It is not hard to do, even replacing a zipper, and seals are easy. There are plenty of write ups on this board alone that cover the "how to" of drysuit repairs.

Back
Top Bottom