Dry suit or semi dry suit or 7mm suit for northern California diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I live in northern California where the water is cold but not sure if going the dry suit route is worth it versus buying a lower cost 7mm wetsuit or semi dry suit. If I dive once a month in Monterey say 40 dives a year, is it worth the time and expense to buy and learn to use a dry suit? I did some research and dry suit requires a PADI course plus the cost of the suit and undergarments.

Drysuit, definitely. You don't need a coarse. Read a little about it, find a calm shore dive spot about 20 to 30' deep, go with a friend who's experienced in drysuit diving and just start trying stuff out. It's not rocket science. You'll pick it up really quickly.

"The best way to save money on a wetsuit is to buy a drysuit". Get a drysuit! (Unless you are a polar bear.)

I dive the same places you do and right now the water temps are hovering around 48 degrees brrrrr. If you do any boat diving, tell me how many times you have watched a wetsuit diver sit out the second dive vs a drysuit diver? Even on shore for that matter? I could never go back to a wetsuit for diving locally, not even with 14mm at the core. My g/f started in a drysuit from day one in the pool.

The Breakwater or the like would be a good place to go and practice in your new drysuit. Nothing wrong with taking a class though.

Drysuits can be purchased used for a reasonable price. The question is do you fit into a stock size suit? There are many different brands to choose from. Ebay has some good deals along with the boards.

When it comes to hoods, Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey builds the best hoods at 12mm thick. Go in and have Cricket measure you for one. You can run a search on this board and see just how popular they are with cold water divers all over.

Some people like wet gloves and the rest of us like our drygloves. Do you already own a pair of wet gloves or are you still renting?

Ben:

Please do yourself a favor and get a drysuit. You'll be far warmer and more comfortable, especially on multiple dive days. I used to come back from my second dive with well over 1200-1300psi in the tank because I froze and could not longer tolerate the cold. With my drysuit, I come back with 200-300psi in the tank, with most dives lasting close to an hour. You can get a neoprene dry suit such as the Scubapro Everdry 4 at close to $1,000.

By the way, most scuba shops will offer you a tutorial on drysuit use if you buy the suit from them. Otherwise, you should have proper instructions in its use as you are managing not only the size but the movement of an air bubble within the drysuit. As with any course, the quality of the instructions will determine its true benefit. I found it money well spent.

I agree with everything that has been said so far. Dry all the way! When I was diving in my 7mm simi-dry I thought I was warm. Then I bought a drysuit, now I'm warm.

You didn't seriously just post that did you?

I do also, if there is good stuff to see in shallow water. I dive with out a snorkel also:mooner:.
Oops I have to go I hear sirens, I think it's the scuba police coming to get me.

Done both in Monterey. Currently I'm diving with a 7mm neoprene dry suit. I like it more than my original (1980's DUI), easier to put on, and I'm not worried about small leaks. OTOH I don't dive deep. My guess is the insulation of the 7mm decreases with depth just like a wetsuit does.

I get cold easily. With an old style wetsuit (think 1970s or 1980s) 2 dives in a day were really pushing it. With a newer (very stretchy) wetsuit I can easily do 2 dives, but 3 is iffy. With the neoprene drysuit I haven't found a limit (4 so far).

As for training. I taught myself drysuits (remember late 70s, early 80s). I feel very comfortable with my skills. OTOH, I'm not letting my 18 yo son (deep away from AOW) from diving with his neoprene drysuit until he has a pool session with an instructor. I thought about this a lot before insisting. The most dangerous thing a drysuit diver can experience is an uncontrolled ascent. The most dangerous place for such an ascent is the last few feet before breaking the surface. The big danger is an AGE. You don't need to get drysuit certified unless you are trying to rent, but I would suggest a pool orientation session.

Lastly, I don't have any for sale, but do know where a large number of used drysuits (all types and conditions) is in the Gilroy area. Give me a PM if you want more info. It's where I bought mine and my son's. Very happy with both, and I didn't pay a fortune.

Definitely go dry in CA. You can get a decent shape used drysuit for just a little more than a new Semidry, definitely worth it. It is just better diving that way.

Well I splurged and bought a new DUI CLX450 drysuit after trying them at the DUI DOG day event in Monterey and love diving dry! So worth it!

Back
Top Bottom