here we come Thailand, here we come...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stewartlbz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Never to early to be getting ready for our first trip to Asia. Question is do we splurge on trying to get a liveaboard or just do day trips from the west side around Phuket. We are planning on being there around the third week of March for two weeks. After diving the northern coast of California we will be excited to do some warm water diving and to finally obtain our advanced certs. So who has got some great ideas for me?

Specific sites
liveeaboards
hostels/hotels
places that we must see etc.
open to anything

Thanks
Dustin From Chico, C.A.

You should had posted this thread on Thailand forum. Just scroll down to Regional forum.
I would have thought that most liveaboard operators would prefer AOW. Of course some of them will offer you the course on board.
As for the diving, Simalan(liveaboard) offers the best in Thailand. However, the day trip from Phuket is TEDIOUS to say the least. Try it and draw your own conclusion. We all have different expectation!

Hi Dustin.I'll move this over to the Thailand forum for you, and I'll also help you begin to explore your preparations for coming to Thailand through my own response. You've given a pretty long list of stuff you want to learn about (and there have been entire books written based on just these points) so we should probably take it bit by bit rather than all in one go, okay?

First of all, the important thing to consider is that you plan to come in March. The most exciting diving in Thailand is in the Similans and Surins National Marine Parks, and they are open from Nov 1 to May 1. So my advice is to do a liveaboard that visits dive sites in those two parks. By that time of year the nutrients in the water are typically greater than earlier in the season, and therefore we have more plankton-eating pelagics around at that time of year than earlier, so I think it's a great time to do a liveaboard here.

As for "splurging," actually, I think it's pretty cost-effective to dive from a liveaboard when you consider the per-dive cost. By the time you pay for a hotel and meals, and then get just two or three dives in a day, a liveaboard trip, with four dives per day quickly reduces the per-dive cost. But some people would prefer a more leisurely schedule, perhaps diving every other day, to the intensive pace of liveaboard diving. You can do a short liveaboard as well, and if you like it, maybe get back on board for a second trip. The nice thing about that time of year is that it's not as busy, and you can usually change your plans on the fly without too much trouble.

If you have additional days and would like to daytrip diving either before or after your liveaboard trip, there are some really lovely sites around Phuket. I don't personally get tired of them or find them tedious, but then I like pretty reefs, and I like not feeling rushed in getting gear set up, having the briefings, and preparing to enter the water. The local dive sites are some distance away, so they require longish boat rides out and back. But the boats are quite comfortable and we spend the surface intervals traveling from one dive site to the next, or having lunch, so the time really passes fast, and before you know it the day is over.

Whether you choose to do your AOW on board a liveaboard or through daytrips depends on how much relaxation you'd like when you're not diving while on a liveaboard. Liveaboard diving is pretty intensive, and doing reading and classroom sessions between dives and at night might not be especially appealing to everybody. But for others, it's more time-effective to do the course on board, especially if they have a tight travel schedule.

I think that's probably enough to get you started, isn't it?

IMHO there's really nothing like the liveaboard experience. I've been doing them in the Andaman sea since the 90's. Had a great trip on the White Manta last month and am hoping to do another next March.

I think that if your schedule allows you ought to do you AOW course before the liveaboard.

Follow Quero's advise...

And she can help you organize your diving while in Thailand.

That's what she did for me and I will be there in less than two weeks now... CAN'T WAIT!!!

Sweet i am loving the info coming in thanks Quero! I have seen that there are many liveaboards in the area, and from doing other travels around the world i have found that not signing up for a trip until i am there has worked out great. Usually there are a few boats that you can't find online that are just as great as those online. What do you think. Is it march yet?

Sweet i am loving the info coming in thanks Quero!
My pleasure! I love it when my compatriots make the long journey to come dive with us here in Thailand, and I want to help you guys create appropriate expectations as well as pump up your excitement!

I have seen that there are many liveaboards in the area, and from doing other travels around the world i have found that not signing up for a trip until i am there has worked out great.
If you have a lot of flexibility, you can wait until you get here, but I would still advise that you get an initial booking in for at least one trip on a boat you select ahead of time. There's nothing worse than thinking you are on the trip of a lifetime and then finding out your only options are boats that you don't enjoy.

Usually there are a few boats that you can't find online that are just as great as those online.
That's not really the case here. This is a major dive destination, and the dive industry here is quite well-developed. So the only liveaboards you won't see online are those that are chartered out to Thai dive clubs (mostly based in Bangkok) and are probably not the sort of boat that you would feel comfortable on.

What do you think. Is it march yet?
Almost!!! Time to start planning!

So a little more information:
From your list--
Specific dive sites--For sure Richelieu Rock! It's our #1 dive site, so don't get on a liveaboard that doesn't go to this site. I also love the drama of the boulder sites like Elephant Head Rock and Christmas Point--these are, to my mind, what makes the Similans stand apart from so many other dive destinations in the region. For reef dives, Anita's Reef is spectacular, and of course Koh Bon has the mantas when they're feeling hungry.
Nearby Phuket, my favorites are Shark Point, Anemone Reef, Koh Doc Mai, Koh Bida Nok/Nai, and Palong Wall. Further south, I love Koh Haa's many dive sites, and of course Hin Daeng and Hin Muang.

After speaking to many people who have recently dived the Similans (in the past 12 - 18 months), you'll probably find that Koh Haa and Hin Daeng & Hin Muang are the best dive sites in southern Thailand at the moment.

I am a bit concerned with what has happened over the past few years within Thailand such as the major flooding of the capitol and all of the corral bleaching that has been happening. How has the West Coast recovered since the Tsunami and other issues that have been so harsh the past few years?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom