Looking for Liveaboard Holiday Ideas - Not Caribbean - Feb/March, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGerl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am doing research on my next liveaboard adventure which I do each year alone. There are so many choices but I just can't settle on where to even start. I live in Western Canada so that presents travel challenges but anything is possible. Right now I am open to any great spot you can recommend that is NOT in the CARIBBEAN. I have done 100+ dives in the Caribbean and this next trip is going to be elsewhere. Love to hear your experiences and ideas. I am interested in a liveaboard since I am travelling alone.

Hawaii on the Kona Aggressor is a lot of fun and great diving. I did it for two weeks plus so shore diving before we boarded. There are tons of Live-aboards in the South Pacific, Fiji, Palau, Maldives and of course Australia and the Great Barrier Reef. I highly recommend the Aggressor Fleet, I've only been on three of them (multiple times on the Cayman Aggressors). The ones I've named above are some from my to-do list, but there are many more.

Maybe research some areas first to see what kind of diving you want to do. Any shore excursions? then narrow your list based on Live-Aboards being available.

P.S. Since you said "not Caribbean" I didn't mention the Bahamas where I would recommend the Aqua Cat. Very nice boat and crew.

We're currently looking into a liveaboard in the Galapagos. Some where we've always wanted to visit and it looks live there's some great diving.

Have you considered Sudan via the UK? (I prefer off-the-beaten-path destinations so a Sudanese LOB is looking quite appealing for my next dive trip.) Based on my research to date, most LOBS to Sudan are priced with return flights to the UK and are either 1 or 2 weeks in duration.

Another vote for the Socorro's...one of the best trips I've ever taken. 5 boats I believe do the trip now..my trip was with Club Cantamar's Sea Escape. If you have the time and money, anywhere in the Western Pacific/Indian Ocean will put the Caribbean to shame. Worldwide Dive and Sail is a great company with many boats and itineraries....checking out their website may give you some ideas as to options in Feb/March

Have done a couple of trips to Raj Ampat - excellent diving, but a long flight. The only issue is that it will spoil you for other destinations. I have done the Damai and Paradise Dancer - both at the high end in terms of cost, but you get what you pay for. In this case very large rooms, excellent food, and personal attention. Friends did the Arenui and loved it.

I did Yap and two weeks on the Aggressor in Palau in February this year. Nothing but good things to say about the trip...fabulous!. I'm looking at th Socorros Islands, the Galapogos Islands and the Cocos Islands next however also the Maldives looks good. Too many dive sites....so little time.

Thailand, Burma & Indonesia are great diving destinations. I used to work on liveaboards in Thailand. Great fun! Thailand also has great 'on land' activities and is a beautiful country. Let me know if you want some hints and tips on the area.

Hi Scubagerl

Have you considered the Maldives? Further for you to travel but WOW what a dive destination! Even from a Resort you walk from the shore to the house reef, put your head in the water and its like being in an aquarium. From a liveaboard the diving is even better for the variety and distance they can cover. There is an abundance of marine life quite litterally everywhere you look! Manta Rays, Whalesharks, Sharks, big stuff, small stuff its truly awesome!!!! check out Maldives Liveaboards-Scuba Diving Holidays Worldwide Dive Tours| Maldives Scuba Tours and Scuba Tours Worldwide

Back
Top Bottom