Waxing Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crewfish13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've just about finished up my confined water training (OW), and mask fogging has become a real annoyance for me. It seems like after about 30-45 minutes in the pool, I've got to come up and reapply defogger to my mask. I read the recent article in Dive Training, and understand how defogger works. It's explained nearly everywhere as "like wax on a car."

That got me thinking, why not wax the inside of my mask lenses? I've driven through thunderstorms with my wipers off after applying Rain-X to my car windshield, as the water rolls off so quickly I never have visibility issues. Wouldn't it work the same with a mask? I would think a single wax application would last through many dives, eliminating the annoyance of fogging. Is there any reason not to wax?

New masks fog primarily because of the 'film' that is left on the glass from the manufacturing process. Remove that protective coating and the masks will not fog as badly.

The traditional method for removing that 'film' is to rub the inner lens with an abrasive (white, not gel) toothpaste and rinse it. It can take quite a bit of rubbing to get rid of all the film.

Another method, used by some (including me) is to burn off that film using a lighter. Just gently sweep a flame across the glass...and then use toothpaste to remove the residue (as described above). Obviously, you don't apply the flame to the rubber mask seal.

I don't know the chemical composition of the anti-fog solutions used on car windscreens... but a mask is an enclosed airspace surrounding your eyes. I would be very hesitant to use any chemical in there that I wasn't 100% sure of...

I read the recent article in Dive Training, and understand how defogger works. It's explained nearly everywhere as "like wax on a car."
Actually, defog works almost exactly *opposite* how wax on a car works. A well-waxed car has a nice hydrophobic coating, which prevents it from being wet by the water. The surface tension of the water makes the water bead up, and it runs off. Defog works in the opposite direction. It works as a surfactant, reducing the surface tension of the water and helping the water wet the surface. A thin film of water is completely transparent, while microscopic beads of water are... yep... the fog on a fogged mask.

If you read the bottle of Rain-X, it expressly states that it is *NOT* for use on the inside of your windshield. Why? Because applying it to the inside of your windshield would make your window fog up much more easily. On the outside, there is enough water to coalesce into drops large enough to be blown off by the wind. On the inside, condensation would form microscopic droplets which would not be large enough to fall by gravity alone (and there's no wind on the inside of the windshield). The company that makes Rain-X actually also makes a windshield defog, which like scuba defog, is a surfactant, not a hydrophobic coating.

Of course, not only would Rain-X possibly make mask fogging *worse*, but it's also very bad stuff to get in your eyes. I've read of people trying it (not understanding the physics), and they generally report a very painful burning in their eyes. Not what I'd really like on a dive.

What can you do? Well, anyone who's been diving a while will have observed that new masks are fog magnets. The more you use the mask, the less it will fog. (I almost never apply any defog to my mask, and I have nearly zero fog issues.) There are things like mask scrubs, the classic toothpaste treatment, or even the "I'm sick of fog" lighter method (which seems to work but is a bit extreme for my tastes). Any of those may help. Just biting the bullet and defogging and knowing it gets better may be the best approach, and it's certainly the simplest.

So, wax cannot help, and Rain-X is a bad idea. Mask cleaners may help, but accumulated dive time certainly will. Commercial defoggers, especially the thicker gel/paste kinds, seem to last much longer than liquid defoggers, baby shampoo, or spit, especially when you're doing a lot of mask clearing. (Once your mask likes you, straight-up baby shampoo is plenty, and no tears, hehe.) Oh, and if you're using a gel-like defog, the key is to use very little, rub it in hard (e.g. pinch the lens between your thumb and fingers and press hard as you defog), and rinse as little as possible (only as much as you need to rinse to have a clear mask, which shouldn't be much since you only used a mini-chocolate-chip's sized dot of defog, right?).

Remember doing a "partial mask clear" in the pool? You had to add a little bit of water so that you could practice clearing it out. Well, do that underwater when your mask fogs up - crack the seal a bit, let some water in, "swish" your head around to get the water to clear the fog and then clear the mask.

Remember doing a "partial mask clear" in the pool? You had to add a little bit of water so that you could practice clearing it out. Well, do that underwater when your mask fogs up - crack the seal a bit, let some water in, "swish" your head around to get the water to clear the fog and then clear the mask.

agreed. :wink:

Thanks for the response - great info. I wasn't actually considering Rain-X, but figured caranuba wax would be inert enough that I could probably have it near my eyes. But the info makes perfect sense, that basically waxing and defog are opposites. I just hadn't given it enough tought. This is what happens when engineers (guys who like to think they're experts in everything) fire from the hip :no:

I've toothpasted the mask, and have been considering doing so again, but hadn't gotten around to it. I probably could use a little more work around the edges, as they seem to fog up first. As I'm working through OW certification, of course I'm taking my mask off several times a session, which is probably just washing away the surfactant and making matters worse.

I guess I'll just have to keep diving :cool2:

That what I tend to do until I've got a chance to swim over to the ladder to re-apply defog.

Crewfish13, you may also be breathing out a bit through your nose without realizing it. That will put warm air into the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom