Private charters to Bimini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterVV

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know this is not directly scuba related but who will know better than this board?

I would like to go to Bimini or possible one of ther other islands of Bahamas for a day trip. Are there any private charters who will take a group of six for a trip like this from somewhere in S. Fl?
I have heard about a ferry to Bimini supposedly starting this month but I can not find any exact info. Any other ideas are also welcome.

I know this is not directly scuba related but who will know better than this board?

I would like to go to Bimini or possible one of ther other islands of Bahamas for a day trip. Are there any private charters who will take a group of six for a trip like this from somewhere in S. Fl?

If there is a boat, it would likely be expensive.

While Bimini is only 50 miles away from Florida, it is a *long* 50 miles. It involves going to a foreign country and that may eliminate some operations due to insurance regulations. It involves checking in at Bimini and there are restrictions on their side involving charter operations.

In addition, the trip involves two crossings of the Gulf Stream and while a boat that goes 25 Knots should do it in two hours, there can be big waves that will make the much longer.

Anyhow, a day trip in a small boat to Bimini is possible, but it is not a trip that can be undertaken easily. If you are already in the area, the best way to get information would be to walk the charterboat docks and ask around.

I have heard about a ferry to Bimini supposedly starting this month but I can not find any exact info. Any other ideas are also welcome.

I've seen that ferry tied up in Bimini day after day with a sign in the window saying that the next trip is tomorrow.

--

Bud

It's possible to do a day trip to the Bahamas - easiest way is to charter a small commercial jet or a twin-engine Beechcraft at Boca Raton or Fort Lauderdale Executive airports. With six people, it's not too bad.
The only prob is the flight back after you dive all day. The pilot will have no trouble flying back at 30' above the water, but for starters, the baggage guys that meet you are going to do real thorough body cavity exams. Then it goes downhill from there.
If you just fly over to see the place, the commercial air fares even from Florida are ridiculous.

I was looking into Bimini as well...there are some private plane charters which are really quite reasonable in the scheme of things - around $500 I think for a 1 way or quick round trip. We got in a couple of dives there with Blackbeards and loved it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom