Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I was diving lake ontario about a 2 months ago with my father. It was a shore dive. I am a new diver, he stopped diving when I was born, anyways, I was zipping up his 1984 whites drysuit and I accidentally left about 2mm open. He flooded. I then proceeded to test my reg by taking a breath on the surface resulting in a free-flow after about 3 minutes down.
It was a fun "dive".

I had a guy on dive 3 of the OW course sneeze in his mask and freek out a bit 7 meters deep....on completion of the course, we laughed about it over beers, couldn't even see his eyes so much snot came out!

Oh, one more....
Won't say where the diver was from but the flag has a hammer and sickle on it...(wink)
Anyhoo....guy came in the shop after day 1 of the OW course and wanted to buy all his own gear....Couldn't talk him out of it. AND he wanted top of the line..Scuba Pro MK25 titaniun/S600 etc.
So we sold it to him....an ENTIRE set of kit, over 3G dollars...wish I made commision...LOL
Next day on the boat I noticed he was having some trouble getting sorted out, he was switching gear from tank to tank....I went over and asked what was wrong, he said that the reg we sold him was "broken...doesn't work", he wanted a refund and was HIGHLY irritated that we had allowed him to buy bad gear...turns out he was trying to put the reg on backwards....he tightened the yolk down so hard that it left marks on the valves!

I've seen that one. To me it seems pretty basic to line up the two openings (valve and reg) but I've seen more than one put on with the 1st stage opening on the back of the valve... People realize quickly something's wrong when they turn on their air LOL

Holy Crap! Pearl Lake!?!?! My OW was on the Fu@#in School Bus. I was the last in the string of 4 people making it down. The whole brief...the DM is telling us that it silts up REALLY FAST, that any icking will kick up silt like nobody's business, not to kick AT ALL on the way down so the rest of us can see the damn bus...and to seriously watch the buoyancy control....and to descend SLOWLY!!!!
The moron who HAD to be first at everything (kinda' like those who blow the curve and kiss the instructors ass) kicks up a storm on his way down and then keeps moving around on the bottom once he is on his knees.
Needless to say....by the time my wife and I got down...the onyl way I knew it was a school bus was dragging my mask across scratched-in letters near the down-line that spelled out "School Bus".

The best part is that we survived our mistakes and are willing to admit to them as well:)

I got flooded out in a dry suit in 43 degree water because of a wrist seal that I did not notice while checking the suit out pre-dive, I managed to complete the dive even with the profuse leak in the borrowed dry suit. however it did become much less fun when the cold arse water got to my crotch but I did make it to the bottom of the quarry....:dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom