Rebreather hygiene question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“The Sky Is NOT Falling” and “Rebreathers are NOT bio hazards”

WIKIPEDIA : Hysteria, in its colloquial use, describes unmanageable emotional excesses. People who are "hysterical" often lose self-control due to an overwhelming fear that may be caused by multiple events in one's past that involved some sort of severe conflict; the fear can be centered on a body part, or, most commonly, on an imagined problem with that body part. Disease is a common complaint

The human mind is capable of amazing things from building space shuttles to the dark paranoia that is capable of consuming brilliant people such as Howard Hughes. The mind is capable of creating Hollywood science fiction movies that seem amazingly real, and it is capable of producing a T.V. series Star Trek where cult followers still dress in costume? People are capable of many extremes….

Which is why there needs to be some moderation between Paranoia and Reality with sanitation of rebreathers. First I must admit that I am a person who walks on the wild side; yes I use public restrooms and I even wear shoes provided for me at bowling alleys ;-)

The images that have been portrayed on this forum regarding people hacking a loogie into a bag and sharing it are a gross exaggeration that feeds paranoia. The reality is that when people breathe their lungs and breath contains humidity that we expel on every breath, and yes the human mouth contains saliva as well as germs.

Now who on this forum has ever gotten out of their bed and made the decision to engage in the dangerous practice of meeting other humans in public locations? If you have ever ridden on public transportation such as a bus, train, or an airplane (tight enclosed space jammed full of humans)….then you have been actively breathing other humans exhaled breaths and humidity that expels into the environment! If you have ever been in a public building such as an office, shopping center, restaurant, convention center, or god forbid a hospital that is already full of germs…then yes you have been re-breathing air! Where do you think Legionnaires disease came from, but from ventilation systems in a public building.

Face the fact that humans are disgusting germ ridden biohazards and it is best to avoid any contact whatsoever. We in the United States live in a society that literally bathes in antibiotics, yet we currently have outbreaks of infections in nursing homes that are resistant to antibiotics, and people still willingly enter high risk environments such as hot tubs at public bath houses????

I stand by my original hypothesis that instructors that I know in the industry are prudent in the care of sanitation of rebreathers during public demos, and furthermore if it is a great concern then you should hire an instructor for a private demo. I think divers are generally a cut above heroine needle sharing addicts, but If you are a slobbering, spitting biohazard with a common cold, cold sores, hepatitis or a highly contagious disease…then please do not engage in public demos – please advise your instructor and seek a private demo.

Rebreathers are not Bio Hazards, and the sky is not falling.

So please use common sense, practice sanitation between divers on ccr's...but don't live in a bubble with tissues between your toes like HH, live and enjoy life.

This is a funny thread. As mentioned prior - people who are highly contagious do not dive. Nor would they be physically able to dive. As per the multiple bugs which can infect - think about cleaning RB materials which can act as a substrate for bug multiplication in a warm, moist environment. This means hoses, some CL's and other little areas where moisture can pool.

I certainly use disinfectants and most effectively a little sunshine and a lot of forced air to dry hoses fast. I made a blower a few years ago which can route dry air through most hoses and CL's. I don't worry much about canisters, or scrubber holders as they can be wiped dry in a instant.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom