Oil/water found in tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...the tank is only 2 years old and I only get it filled in 2-3 places... are one of my fill stations to blame?

how often does this happen? is it common?

It shouldn't happen ever. As pointed out above, it happens when someone doesn't drain the water separator (filter) on the compressor at least every 15 minutes. If you're seeing water in the output the filter system is saturated and not working - you might as well remove the filter cartridges and breathe straight from the compressor for all the good they're doing.

This could be a teachable moment for the shops if you're up to it.

1) Ask each shop if their compressor has an autodrain. The autodrain is basically a series of electrically operated drain valves hooked to a timer. If the shop's compressor does have an autodrain then the source of your water/oil is far more likely to be a shop that relies on their compressor operator not being distracted by clients in the front while tanks are filling.

It is possible that an autodrain might be faulty, and the shop needs to know this.

Even with an autodrain the filters can saturate if too much air is pumped through them. Human error again, but it takes longer to catch up with us. Filters need to be changed after they've processed a certain volume of gas.

2) Ask if the shop has a moisture detector on their filter system. On smaller stationary systems this is usually an eyeball port on the top of the final filter vessel, or a small cylinder plumbed into the output line like #14 on this page: Max-Air | paintball air, paintball compressor, SCUBA recharge air or this widget: Colorimetric Air Quality Monitor

There will be a disk visible through this port. Often this is a golden brown disk surrounded by a blue ring. The centre disk is CO; any trace of black is a valid excuse to run from the shop screaming. The outer ring is the moisture detector. It should be blue. Pink, and you've found your problem. Same principle with the multi-sector moisture only detector shown in the GMC link.

Filters might have their own moisture detector strip built into the side of the cartridge. Unfortunately you have to actually open the filter vessel and pull the cartridge in order to check it.

3) I agree about asking to see an air test certificate, however usually the only thing the certificate shows is that the compressor was producing clean air immediately after the last filter change. (If you find a shop that pulls samples before changing the filters buy them a beer and give them your business.) More useful information is that if the shop has "misplaced" the air tests they probably aren't following other maintenance and operating procedures properly either.

The only law I know of requiring regular air tests for sport diving compressors is in Florida. Maybe Quebec if I knew French well enough to decipher the regulations.

You need to get the tanks and valves cleaned thoroughly. It is possible to breathe condensate contaminated tanks without getting lipoid pneumonia (don't ask me how I know) but you don't want to risk it.

Yes, it is one of your fill places. Figure out which one and don't go back.

I am very particular where I get my steel tanks filled. Since I am very careful, I knew where I was getting bad fills - the same place I was getting short fills. I won't go there again. I feel bad because it is also my marina store where I continue to get beer and bait for my offshore fishing. But I spoke to him/Chris a number of times, and when I had to keep getting my steel tanks tumbled - well that was it.

The interesting thing is that a commercial fisherman, who loves to dive, decided to buy his own compressor because of this. He bought a gigantic high pressure commercial compressor, and began filling up his friends' tanks. Then he went hog wild/stupid and now Scott and Wendy have a dive shop that they are losing money on. I hope they keep up their shop - but the only way is if Wendy keeps working for the State while Scott (who's since become an Instructor) keeps fishing and losing money on the shop. Great/perfect air/fills - the inside of my tanks shine at VIZ, and they have a big tank where I clean my gear there after my dives (shop is 5 minutes from dive site!) - while Scott sarcastically entertains me as he berates my jetty torn up wetsuit.

If they were not there - I would have to drive 1 hour 15 minutes South and fill my tanks at one of the best LDSs in the USA - ESDS. I would have to do this at least every 2 or 3 weeks - I only have 10 tanks (7 HP steel & 3 Al)! Or I'd have to buy more - my yearly VIZ (at Scott's) schedule already drives me crazy - and then add on hydros (at ESDS).

A $50 tumble should come with dinner too...

I bought a used stage bottle and it was out of hydro... I had everything done - hydro'd, valves O2 cleaned, etc. I'm not going to say how much I paid to have it done :blush: at my lds (where I have dropped a substantial sum of $$) but what would be reasonable?

When you look at diveshop air tests, don't just look at the latest - you want to see a whole stack of them. A single test means nothing. They could have been pumping out filthy air for weeks then changed the filter and tested the air and everything would look fine. You want to see a an uninterrupted pattern of good air going back... well, as far as it goes back, several years at least.

No clue what you test overthere, but we test compressor AND buffers.
Since I have 4 - 52L/350bar buffers,I don't see how I can get away with your reasoning, unless you don't have any buffers.
Filling without those would take hours

I bought a used stage bottle and it was out of hydro... I had everything done - hydro'd, valves O2 cleaned, etc. I'm not going to say how much I paid to have it done :blush: at my lds (where I have dropped a substantial sum of $$) but what would be reasonable?

In Atlanta, I pay around $15.00 for a hydro and my LDS charges $12.00 for viz. I clean my own valves and tanks.

Back
Top Bottom